Author Topic: BSA B50 -500 APG Build  (Read 462770 times)

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Re: BSA B50 -500 APG Build
« Reply #645 on: November 20, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »
Stuart Hooper seems to have sorted blown singles out ok.

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/171-mph-on-velocette.html

He ran just before me @ Lake G, but I didn't
 get the chance to chat, or have a good look.
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #646 on: November 21, 2013, 07:45:08 AM »
Stuart Hooper seems to have sorted blown singles out ok.

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/171-mph-on-velocette.html

He ran just before me @ Lake G, but I didn't
 get the chance to chat, or have a good look.
GenShov,
We got a chance to meet Peter Hooper at BUB's a couple of years ago, still in NA configuration.  I think he was running in the 150s then.  It appears that he has indeed figured out how to supercharge the old single cylinder.  Perhaps we can get a few more photos of his drive mechanism and plumbing.

Right now ts a bit like making rabbit stew.  First I have to catch the rabbit.  Hopefully the blower will be here early next week.  I'm sure there will be more question than answers.  Generatorshovel has the big question in my mind.  What to do with the unused boost between power pulses.  Initially the thought was to have a big plenum.  With a big pop off valve.  Lots of thoughts but first I have to catch the rabbit.

As I  won't be making a move to supercharging for 1 or 2 years, following your build will be great.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #647 on: November 21, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
Tom, My reference of adding to the envelope was to the SHORT size :-D

You may get some ideas from this blog......... http://www.smokeandthrottle.com/2011/01/supercharged-triumph-tiger-cub-goes-for.html

I fully understand the rule restrictions for production and modified............but why the restriction concerning the turbo-SC drive-system on an A-Class bike? I thought SPEED was the objective :-(

2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #648 on: November 21, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
Tom, My reference of adding to the envelope was to the SHORT size :-D

You may get some ideas from this blog......... http://www.smokeandthrottle.com/2011/01/supercharged-triumph-tiger-cub-goes-for.html

I fully understand the rule restrictions for production and modified............but why the restriction concerning the turbo-SC drive-system on an A-Class bike? I thought SPEED was the objective :-(

Dennis,
Are you talking about the restriction requiring the superchargers to be mechanically or exhaust driven?  If so, it's just to make the playing field level.  If I were to use a large electric motor to drive a supercharger, then it would be more like a hybrid.  Also, I have looked at the supercharged Triumph Cub, but to my knowledge, they never got it to perform as well as they wanted. You should have noticed the first comment on that site, Dennis???  None other than yours truly.

I know its not a four stroke but the Buddfab 50cc streamliner is a very effective turbo single at 233 km/h.
http://buddfab.net/buddfabhomepage.html
I wanted to thank Tofu for reminding us that the Buddfab is indeed a turbocharged single cylinder, 2 stroke at that.  I would love to see the plumbing for that.  Of course, a 2 stroke does fire on every stroke and turns some very high RPM, so probably cannot be compared to our "slow" revving 4 strokes that fire on every other stroke.

Tom
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:16:00 PM by Koncretekid »

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #649 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »

Offline Tofu

• New folks
« Reply #650 on: November 21, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
The Buddfab 50.

Offline Tofu

• New folks
« Reply #651 on: November 21, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »
I like the fabrication on this bike and it appears to have a connection to the salt.

I found it at http://goldammercycle.com/collection/goldmember/gallery

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #652 on: November 22, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Tofu,

So on the 2 stroke, the turbo on goes after the expansion chamber, uses a draw thru system and has a small plenum, although you can add the crankcase to the inlet volume.  I'll bet that took some testing to get it right.

And Roger Goldammer's bike is probably the ultimate in the latest technology.  I actually asked him about that bike this year and he told me it used the Rotrex charger.  Now I can see how he mounted a CW rotation supercharger on a CCW rotating motor.  Very clever, and not something I would have thought of.  I guess that's why we have this forum!  BTW, your photos don't seem to be on the link you posted, so I assume you got access to them somewhere else.  Thanks.

Tom

Offline Tofu

• New folks
« Reply #653 on: November 23, 2013, 07:15:26 AM »
The link should have been http://www.bikernet.com/pages/The_Triple_Crown_Custom.aspx.
Another site with several pages of useful supercharger info is http://victorylibrary.com/supercharger/super-c.htm.

cheers
tom

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #654 on: November 30, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
This little guy showed up a couple of days ago.  An Aisin AMR300.  Nice shape.  I have a spot for it on the sidecar.  Now I just have to get my head down and make it work.  El Mirage is next May.  Which in real time is about 15 minutes away.

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #655 on: December 05, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »
Octane's diary on his supercharged Indian and Generator Shovel (gennyshovel on dlra  http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1686&sid=38163703502fbd58d7acf42d9ccffc99) are "must reads" for your Aisin charger build (there may be others as well).  Also, I seem to remember something about mounting the charger above the inlet on a draw thru system (Victory Library?).  I guess if you put it in the sidecar, it will be running the correct direction.  Otherwise, on the CCW motors, I think you would have to mount it upside down or drive it with a jack shaft.  I'll be following you.
Tom

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #656 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
Looking into the future of supercharging has me doubting the use of a draw thru system with a carburetor on the single cylinder motor, due to problems with fuel dropping out of suspension and inefficiency due to heat build-up and no real possibility for aftercooling.  Looking at a blow thru system with a carburetor also has some fueling issues, which may be easier with fuel injection.  To get to that point, I have decided to start by adding some data logging to my current motor, which will be 100cc larger with a higher C.R. for this year, so will probably run hotter.

The Megasquirt system is real interesting because I would be able to customize my ignition as well as fueling, and get feedback from each run on a laptop to make appropriate adjustments.  Adding fuel injection in the future would then be much easier.  Not being a computer geek, I would need help, but my pit man, NSF Ed has experience with re-mapping and my daughter is an electrical engineer.  But what I'm not clear on with the M.S. system is how to get on board viewing of what's going on before she goes bang as opposed to after.  There's an excellent build diary by MXRob on ThumperTalk on the conversion of a Suzuki DR650 to fuel injection, but he mounts a small laptop on the bike and just makes dozens of runs around town and stops and makes adjustments as required (a lot of them).  That might be difficult at Bonneville.  So although the purchase of a Megasquirt system makes sense, even without the fuel injection, the question is how to have active gauges indicating AFR and Cylinder Head or Exhaust Temperature along with the controller/data logging function?

As a cheaper alternative for this year, the Innovate MTX-L AFR display can be piggybacked to a EG or CH temperature gauge, an RPM shift light (which is also a MAP gauge, not needed at this time) and connected to a data logger.  Total price for the three gauges and the pocket data logger, about $600.  Of course, I would also need a PC, as my Mac Laptop is not compatible (without the conversion to Windows).  I already have a good Scitsu tach as well as a narrow band AFR, CHT, and Oil pressure gauge, but they are cheapies not capable of data logging that I know of.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:32:08 AM by Koncretekid »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #657 on: January 05, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
.....  So although the purchase of a Megasquirt system makes sense, even without the fuel injection, the question is how to have active gauges indicating AFR and Cylinder Head or Exhaust Temperature along with the controller/data logging function?.... Tom

MegaSquirt can't read AFR directly it needs to receive it from a wide band O2 sensor controller.  So what I'd recommend is using something like Innovate's MTX-L .......

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-mtxl-gauge-sensor-controller-3844-p-467.html

..... that you mentioned as it has the sensor, controller and the gauge and can send the AFR to the MS.  We use 2 on Hooley's Stude and I'll probably use one on my car with the MS.  The gauge is pretty easy to read even under the light levels on the salt.

I'm not aware of an EGT gauge that you can view and that can also send data onto a recording device, but they might be out there.  We have had a gauge in the Stude in the past, but at high speed it is something that can't really be looked at very easily as the gauge is small.  Will you have time to view them on a run?  You can easily pass thermocouple data from a sensor onto the MS.

DIYAutoTune.com's MS3-Pro, their version of MS, does now have Wideband AFR target tables so that possibly could work to your advantage with the limited time to get the fuel mapping correct.  I'm not sure how fast it learns.  I think it is still going to be hard to develope fuel maps without dyno time or street time like your friend although we had lunch the other day with a friend and his wife in Colorado that builds circle track and other high HP motors for a living and he has been using some of the new 'self learning' fuel injections systems and is quite impressed with how fast you can tune them on the dyno,

Sum

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #658 on: January 05, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »
Tom,
With a blown bike motor it is worth putting some fuel thru' the blower, as this will cool the blower lobes/screw and also will keep the charge temp down. It doesnt need to be much, maybe as little as 10-15%

Good luck
Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #659 on: January 05, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
The Bazazz bike EFI systems have the ability to be self mapping during a dyno run, according to what people tell me.  They say it dramatically reduces the hours on the dyno that normally go into mapping.