Author Topic: BSA B50 -500 APG Build  (Read 462789 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: BSA B50 -500 APG Build
« Reply #480 on: February 17, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »
Tom..........you have to remember to replicate the factory 'runs' :lol: :lol:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #481 on: February 17, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »
Tom,
I have to agree that the frame really looks great!!! Your paint job is meticulous and makes the frame really look finished. Great job!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #482 on: February 17, 2013, 11:57:28 PM »
Lovely paint man. That's cool. It looks fast already. Way to go!  :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #483 on: February 18, 2013, 01:34:08 AM »
Be careful to give it plenty of cure time before a second coat.  A lot of these new paints tend to blister up the previously applied coat.  It looks good and new paint always adds a few mph. 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2013, 04:31:38 PM »
I just realized I should have hit the "enhance" button on the photo program.  It shows the frame in much better light.  Thanks for the complements.  It also shows up my nicely painted floor.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
Even better. Those new pics really show it off. Remember when you were battling with the welding?. Loooong gone. Have one on me. :cheers:

Offline Frank06

« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
Tom, looking good!
E-Racer

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #487 on: February 26, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »
Upon re-assembly, some things popped up.  First photo is of the headstock bearings after two seasons at Bonneville.  Note to self - -disassemble the headstock upon returning from the Salt Flats!  The good news is that these are just cheap trailer wheel bearings - - $12.95 at Princess Auto.

The second photo is a method of thinning up an aluminum shim.  I made this shim by parting it off of a piece of aluminum in the lathe, but my little Taiwanese lathe doesn't turn slow enough and I couldn't get a clean cut.  So I taped it down to a flat piece of aluminum in the mill drill using only double sided Scotch tape.  I milled off .004" per cut until I got the shim thinned up sufficiently.  It sits in the headstock under the outer race to prevent the bearing cage from interfering with the headstock bearing seat (cage is proud of the outer race, so it bottoms out before the bearings themselves seat).

Third photo is of the newly installed bearings.

Fourth photo shows re-assembly of the bike.  Almost a shame to cover it up with bodywork.  I'm going to have to clean up all the other parts now.  I leave in a couple of weeks for Colorado (leaving the bike in N.S.) so I'm trying to get it put back together before I go.  I don't get back until 3rd week of June, just 3 weeks before Loring.

Tom

Offline tauruck

« Reply #488 on: February 26, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »
I can't believe how the bearings and cups rusted like that. Now I understand the term salt. Don't you grease those bearings? The bike looks lovely now. You might even win a show or two. :cheers:

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #489 on: February 26, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
Wow, bike looks stunning Tom, very nice!  :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #490 on: February 26, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »
Mike, the salt is bad stuff.  Tom's bike is an example.  There are a lot of fenders and fairings to keep the salt away from those bearings and the problem still happens.  There are some things a person can do, like use a lot of stainless steel, 6061 aluminum, and titanium in the build.  Care in washing helps. too.  The trick is to wash from the top down with a stream of cold water rather than a spray of hot water.  Coating stuff with a thin layer of grease or some commercial products helps.  Marine grade anti-seize works good for lubing a lot of things like steering head bearings.  It is not a good idea for high speed bearings, like the ones in wheels.  Even with all of the protective measures, it is amazing how much corrosion happens.   

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #491 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
Actually the 5xxx series aluminums are a better choice. They're the materials used in boat hulls for salt water use.

Pete

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #492 on: February 27, 2013, 07:08:49 AM »
Mikey, and others,
Yes, I used grease, but not the marine grade type that Bo mentioned.  I thought I had repacked them before the 2012 season, but maybe not.  My headstock bearings are much more susceptible to this kind of damage because although there is a seal at the top and at the bottom, the headstock is open and salt plus washing water enters from within where there are no seals. On my wheel bearings, I have removed the inner seal, but left the outer one in place.  If I spin my rear wheel by hand (without the chain), it will still rotate for up to 10 minutes, so I believe the seals are effective.  The other most affected part is the chain.  Remove it, wash it in solvent, then wash it at least twice more in soap and hot water, then again in solvent or WD-40 (better) and finally oil it and store it in a zip-lock bag.  Polished aluminum seems to hold up OK, but raw aluminum pits almost as badly as raw steel.  A good paint job on aluminum and steel also seems to hold up, but you have to clean and inspect it, because any scratches will start to breed rust.  Some stainless steels, probably marine grades are good, but cheaper grades also come back with a haze of brown on them.  High strength bolts rust faster than lower grade, in spite of the nice gold finish they apply to a lot of them.  The only sure way to keep everything clean is to disassemble, clean, and wax or oil it.  Look for cracks in the frame while you're at it!
Tom

Offline tauruck

« Reply #493 on: February 27, 2013, 08:01:23 AM »
I had the chance to live at the coast but I wouldn't go because of the rust. It's evil and I feel for you Tom but it looks like you're on top of it now. Maybe some powdercoating on some of the parts might help. Ones that aren't stressed. The High tensile stuff even rusts up here at 6000ft. If it's an Allen head the water sits in there and it corrodes for sure.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #494 on: March 29, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »
Just an update to show new 4" extended intake to increase distance to valve to 11-1/2". I also made a bracket that screws to the back of the carburetor and to the bottom of the seat to hopefully prevent carb from falling off.  I had to relocate the oil filter and make a longer throttle cable, but it all works.  I would like to try to make some intermediate length intakes as well, but the seat gets in the way if I don't include a drop as well as an extension.  I plan to add an exhaust extractor as well as I have outlined on the tech forum.
Tom