Author Topic: BSA B50 -500 APG Build  (Read 460899 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Re: BSA B50 -500 APG Build
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
I was going to make a rear fender out of fiberglass, but realized that a sheet of paper could almost be formed to make the fender.  So I enlisted my friend Ed Muise to make this out of 20 gauge sheet steel.   It is attached with Dzus fasteners. Then I decided it might be interesting to have some forward side panels made out of aluminum to simulate a gas tank.  I could polish and paint it to look sort of BSA B50-ish.  I'm not sure I like them.  Would the tech inspectors consider these to be partial streamlining?  It is really no different than the aluminum perimeter frames found on some of the newer bikes.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
Another view from the cockpit shows gauges.  I added a battery hold down system.  After reading some of the posts on this forum, I decided to relocate the footpegs further forward. I can use the old rear footpeg holes for a rear lift.  I had a bit of time left at the end of the day so I started polishing up the motor mount plates.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
What's this?  I've been reading all the fantastic build diaries and sometimes wonder if they ever make stupid mistakes like this! I was making a "tweak" bar to tweak the rear bodywork a little from old scrap and got this.  It actually worked quite well after I separated it from my C-clamp.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
We ran the ignition directly from the battery on those bikes in the old days.  We removed the alternator.  It eliminated the electromagnetic drag from the rotor spinning in the stator.  That might work good on your build.  You have a nice big battery for electrical power.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 11:53:13 PM »
Most weldors have a selection of clamps with weld marks on them. The clamps just won't stay out of the way sometimes! You'll find that vise grips often do the same thing. :roll: :roll:

Pete
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:55:10 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »
Just got the final welding done.  All the little bits like extra gussets at headstock, body mounting plates. chain guard mounts, rear inner fender mounts, and welding up my tacked up gas tank and oil tank mounting brackets.

I had to put the whole project on hold for awhile because of a three month trip to Colorado to visit children, grandchildren, and other relatives.  I won't be able to resume work until June, but I'll be sourcing some new motor parts (camshaft, head, carburetor, & ignition system.)  I'm thinking about a fender from Airtech.  Will it be an advantage at 115mph?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
This ones for BAK189.  While I had the frame in my "indoor" shop, I couldn't help but try this!  Look how close the motor mounts are.  I would need to re-drill and put in new ferrules in the lower frame rails, and add one new bracket on the front crossmembers, but everything else looks do-able. Food for thought.

Offline bak189

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »
Now your talking!!!!!!!......don't forget to connect the mount off the front of the cyl-head to keep the vibs down................looking good..........................................................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
An A10 motor might allow the tranny to be moved back and give you more room.............and a smoother ride!  I love the idea of building the chasis for optional motors.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2011, 07:07:36 AM »
Bak 189
Now your talking!!!!!!!......don't forget to connect the mount off the front of the cyl-head to keep the vibs down................looking good..........................................................................................
The head steady would have to be connected to the crossmember behind the motor, as I will do for the B50 motor, but should still work. The 650 parallel twin should not have quite the fore & aft vibration of the relatively unbalanced B50 (60% balance factor).  The A65 motor would not be much of a performer as is, for one it is actually 654cc and would have to compete against some seriously fast 750's. Perhaps a de-stroking of the crankshaft would turn it on a bit.  If Ed V. is reading this, I'm sure he could accomplish this.

An A10 motor might allow the tranny to be moved back and give you more room.............and a smoother ride!  I love the idea of building the chasis for optional motors.
  The A10 would be an interesting choice.  It is, I think, 648cc, and could run in the Vintage class.  Also, 5 & 6 speed transmissions would be easily adapted, which is not the case for the B50.  Thanks for the comments.

Offline camyvelo

• New folks
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
Having had the oppertunity to see the build in person I can only say "a lovely piece of engineering Tom"your prepping and hand work are a work of art.I am muchly impressed.
Thank you Tom and the very best of luck.
                                     JT. :cheers:

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2011, 03:17:26 PM »
Thank, John,
 I'm a little out of the loop right now due to being deployed on "Grandfather duties" in Colorado (new grandson due in 2 weeks!).  I'm ordering parts and hope to be able to complete the project when I return in June.

So this is my message to you guys still out there working!

Here's my grandson, Thomas

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
Hey, that's cute.  He looks just like you, too! :evil:

So - Nancy wonders who it was that taught him the trick.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »
Yesterday I received my new motor parts from Ed Valiket, and tomorrow, we head back to Nova Scotia.  Ed reworked the head for me, welding up the intake port and opening it up from the stock 32mm to about 42mm!  He also re-ratioed the rocker arms by about 20% to give over 1/2" lift.  Valves are Chevrolet titanium Nascar items, re-machined to 1-7/8" for intake, and stock size for exhaust.  Also included is a new JE piston and a Mikuni HSR 42.  The exhaust port is opened up to 1-7/8", but only for the pipe, leaving a reversion check at essentially the stock size.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2011, 10:57:56 PM »
More photos.  The head has also been opened up from the combustion chamber side to accept the 92mm piston (stock is 84mm).  We also sleeved two of the head bolt holes in both the head and the cylinder to insert alignment sleeves.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:00:27 PM by Koncretekid »