Author Topic: BSA B50 -500 APG Build  (Read 462712 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Re: BSA B50 -500 APG Build
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
I designed some triple clamps that are basically same width as the CB360, but the set back has been reduced from 60mm to 45mm for more trail.  I should have about 4-1/2" of trail. My friend Doug Edwards of Longmont, Colorado machined them for me.  I haven't got the bill yet -- I may be sweeping floors for him for a loooooong time!.  Displayed in the living room in front of the fireplace  -- a nice piece of artwork.  Next I stripped the frame down to get it ready for the welder. I had to grind the tack welds down; "mountains" is what my welder called them.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
Ready for the welder ......and back from the welder.  Steve Gray, a neighbor of mine and a long time acquaintance, is a certified airframe welder and specializes in rebuilding vintage J-3 Piper Cubs.  He took time out of his busy schedule (he is about 4 planes behind) to do this for me.  It is all TIG welded, with his back-up portable welder because his primary was down.  The small blemishes you see are where he had to negotiate the "mountains" that were my tack welds. 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
More of Steve's welds. The headstock original weld (not Steve's) had developed a hairline crack, so Steve fused it with the TIG without any filler rod.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:37 PM »
Re-assembled, with the dummy, and next to the roadrace B50.  I noticed that while in my riding position, I can touch the floor with my finger tips.  Is that low enough?

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »
Great looking build, are you going to have her finished for Speedweek this year??
No regrets

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 09:16:18 AM »
KK, can you see the track from behind that headstock?  Forward vision is very important when racing a scooter on the salt.  It looks like you are looking down, there is nothing to see looking down. 
I would also suggest that you put on your leathers and boots anytime you are doing a fit check.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bak189

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »
Nice looking frame......it appears to be strong enough to hold a Chevy V-8, instead of
a 45hp BSA engine.....but better to be safe and strong....and who knows you may want to use a "powerfull" A-65 unit in the future......good luck with your project...................................
Question authority.....always

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
Colorado Dave "Great looking build, are you going to have her finished for Speedweek this year??" -- That is my intention.  I will post further photos this evening as it is more complete that shown.  Unfortunately, I will be away from my build site from March 10th until early June, so the engine rebuild, carburation, and wiring will have to wait until then.  I will actually be in Colorado during that time.  Where are you?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
Colorado Dave:"Great looking build, are you going to have her finished for Speedweek this year??" That is my intention.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) I will actually be in Colorado from March 15th until early June, away form my build site.  I'll have to finish the motor, add carburetion, and do the wiring in the summer.

Stainless:  Forward vision will not be a problem.  I will post some more photos tonight or tomorrow and you will see how.

bak189:  Yes, lots of space and lots of tubing (about 60', so far).  And I already thought about a "more powerful" A65. I might actually have enough space for a turbo-charger, but that'll be another story.

Accidentally left the site for a moment and got double post. Sorry. 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
View from the cockpit.  Vision should be improved with this "window".  Gauges mount on the frame gussets.  I used last year's gauge mounting plate which will need to be trimmed up.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »
This first photo shows "prototype" gas tank made out of poster board.  I then had Ed's Custom Sheet Metal cut and bend pieces from 18 gauge sheet steel.  Steve Gray welded it together, without any filler rod except at the corners. 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
More of the gas tank. Gas cap is made by Newton Equipment which I bought on eBay.  It must have been left-over stock, as it was supposed to be non-vented, but turned out not to hold any air pressure, so must be vented.  Still a very nice cap.  Locks too -- you never know who might be out there on the flats! I had to had a angle crossmember at back edge, and some supporting angles at the front.  These will also mount the seat back.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
I needed a steering damper clamp to fit the 33mm fork tube, so I made one in the shop.  Took me at least 4 hours. Could have bought one on eBay for $50 or less if I wanted to wait.  I guess my time is worth about $12 per hour.  The whole bike should then be worth about a million bucks based on the number of hours I put in!  But you guys already know that.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
 I source an oil tank on eBay (again) which looked like it would fit.  It does, but it's getting pretty crowded.  That lawn tractor battery looks pretty tacky in there, buy it is functional ballast.  At least, I shouldn't have to charge it very often, which is a good thing since I don't know if I'll be able to get it back out without moving a bunch of other things.  I guess I could just bring the whole bike up to the hotel room to recharge it.  I have also added an idler sprocket to try to keep the chain inline (42" run from motor to wheel.)  The shaft just above the tank is a cross-over shaft for left foot shifting. It was either do that or rig up a cable or shaft for brakes as the Honda wheel has right side brake.

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »
Colorado Dave "Great looking build, are you going to have her finished for Speedweek this year??" -- That is my intention.  I will post further photos this evening as it is more complete that shown.  Unfortunately, I will be away from my build site from March 10th until early June, so the engine rebuild, carburation, and wiring will have to wait until then.  I will actually be in Colorado during that time.  Where are you?

We are in Colorado Springs area, I'm northern El Paso county and my dad and the race bikes are in town
No regrets