Author Topic: BSA B50 -500 APG Build  (Read 462803 times)

Offline Freud

Re: BSA B50 -500 APG Build
« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »
It won't work on a C/STR.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #286 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
Tom,
I am attaching a sketch of how you can use your engine exhaust to extract the air from you engine shroud. Porsche used this same idea to pull cooling air through the intercooler on their small 1.4 liter turbo 911 back in the mid 70s and it works very well and it is free and it works when ever the engine is running and does not increase your aero drag. This idea is also used by many experimental aircraft builders to move air through their aircooled engines and reduce aero drag.
Rex
Rex,
Your idea sounds very doable and I could have done that, but unfortunately, I got started on a system similar to Matt's, and my outlet got built on the side opposite the exhaust.  There would, of course, had to have an inlet as well.  I think there would have been some testing to get sizes correct, and I was running out of time.  I have now completed the inlet and will post more photos tomorrow after I get it back together.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #287 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »
Rex;

That's called an "ejector tube" it works pretty well, too.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
The same setup with the outer tube open at both ends becomes an "augmentor" tube that drags air in and you get a large volume of air out the end, you can do it with an air nozzle and a 1 1/2" or so tube, great fun.  That is a way to pump more air through, but you still need the intake.  This should be interesting!  Tom, be sure to take some readings (if time permits) of the cylinder head temp with an open bike to see how well the system works, or not works.  Nothing like doing the experiment!
Time is getting short, hope you make it! :-D
I forgot, the side winds did bother the streamlined bike, but with a full 10 gallon wrapped around the front end of the bike, the side winds were not so bad.  However when the tank got low, the crosswinds made things "interesting", even with the increased rake on the front end.

The white thing is the custom built 10 gallon fuel cell.

Enjoy!

Matt Guzzetta

Offline debgeo

« Reply #289 on: June 26, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
Just curious do you know what the rake and trail measurements were?
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #290 on: June 27, 2012, 01:15:51 AM »
Tom, it looks like you are running out of time.  Do nor forget about the old trick of spitting on the engine to see how hot it is.

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #291 on: June 27, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
Sorry, can't answer the rake and trail question. Rob North raked the front end the same as he was doing for drag racing bikes at the time.  We also added about 3 inches to the swing arm to slow the handling a bit.  We also used a hydraulic steering damper, which helped a bunch.  Before we did those mods, the bike with stock settings was really scary in side winds or heavy traffic.

Matt Guzzetta

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #292 on: June 27, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
Completed the inlet today.  3" ABS projecting thru the front of the fairing, cut square, and bell mouthed (as W. W. suggested) as much as the thickness of the pipe would allow.  I'm not happy with the connecting 3" dryer duct and elbow, but I don't know what else would be available.  The outlet has been shortened and faired into the side of the fairing, much as Dennis suggested. I've decided not to bother with an air box for Loring. As to Bill's comment about directing air to the top of the cylinder head, I still have two 1-1/2" inlets as well as the openings around the forks to allow extra air in if needed.

I am traveling to Toronto for 5 days, so I'll not be able to complete it until I get back.  Still have to paint the body and touch up the frame, mount the new temperature gauge (where?), change the transmission, and make a rear stand and a stationary underbelly rest (easy way to keep it upright while inching forward in the lines at Loring.)  And a host of other things that will pop up at the last minute. Perhaps I should see if it still runs!

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #293 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
Tom...........I think that set up is going to work...........with one more suggestion........on your intake......try to attach the dryer pipe to the OD of the inlet............and then think about the pressure of 130+ miles per hour on that pipe.  It may not be too bad depending on air-deflection from the front fender when you are up to speed.  Kinda looks like a '60s Bridgestone 50 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »
Tom, I agree with Old Scrambler about mounting the intake tube on the outside of the inlet.  Another thing I have some concern about is that vibration and movement of the fairing can allow the intake connection to come off.  I am attaching 2 photos of a cool air system I added to my old V8 Datsun than has never come loose during normally driving or while autocrossing. The aluminum expandable dryer ducting is flexible and very cheap to buy.  It  expands from about 12" to 48" or more in length, very cool stuff!  :-D  I think they sell it in 3 an 4 inch sizes and you can easily flatten the corrugated material to fit around the intake tube and then use a large worm clamp to fasten, it won't come off and the vibration shouldn't affect it. You have been a busy boy! :cheers:

I usually put a wrap or 2 of inner tube rubber under the hose clamp to spread the load.

Keep the work and photos flowing, I can't wait to see how well this bike goes, the areodynamics should allow some interesting numbers!

Matt Guzzetta

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »
I spent the Canadian Holiday weekend in Toronto helping my son renovate his 100 year old, 16' wide, 2-1/2 story house.  Quite a trip for this country kid to visit a booming metropolis of 2-1/2 million people, and still growing.  I'm not sure what the attraction is, but at least 12 new high-rise condominiums are under construction to house something like 7,000 more people.  The entire population of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia could move in! Came home and celebrated the 4th with niece and nephew who have a summer home up here.  Calamari, clams, venison stew, and lobsters to go.  Tough life, but somebody has to do it.

I couldn't resist posting the last photo.  I don't use Facebook, so you guys will just have to suffer a few non-LSR photos from time to time.  My son and his happy little family!

Matt and Dennis,
I have taken your advice and re-fabbed the intake tube to slide over the inlet pipe and use a hose clamp.  I still don't like the crappy aluminum elbow, but we'll see what the 65% balanced BSA single cylinder has to say!

I took some photos from the side before disassembling and noted that my nose is not exactly visible.  So I re-profiled the top edge of the fairing and the windshield, hopefully to the approval of the inspectors.

I have disassembled the fairing pieces (6 pieces, including an inspection cover on the bottom) and hope to paint it this weekend.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:56:35 AM by Koncretekid »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
Tom, that fairing has turned out sooooooo nice.  :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
Pete, will you make it to B'Ville this year?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »
Not sure yet, but that reminds me that I'd better get over Monday and renew my passport. Thanks for the nudge Freud.

Pete

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
Great photos!  You have done a terrific job on the fairing mods, very nice looking results. :cheers: Be sure to take some cutting tools with you as you might try trimming the cooling intake and exhaust tips flush with the fairing, after you have made your record runs (we hope), to see if it makes a difference.  This will be an interesting experiment for sure. 
Nice family pic, looks like the puppy doesn't like to be left out!
Not many days left, keep on the gas! :-D

Matt Guzzetta