Author Topic: Engine instalation  (Read 20617 times)

Offline Stovebolt

Engine instalation
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 12:12:10 AM »
Rich, Sorry to Hijack this thread - but what are you using as a scattershield, as I see you have not got one in the photos you are showing.

The reason I ask is due to the fact that I need to organise one for my Stovebolt six. I have a SBC one, but I don't yet have the steel plate that is available in the US, and will cost me heaps to import a lump of steel into OZ. I'm looking for a "cheaper" alternative. :eek:

Hey maybe some-one out there has an old one they are interested in selling. ;)
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.

Offline RichFox

Engine instalation
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 10:26:19 AM »
Hopefully you can see in this picture the external home made scatter shield I am using. It bolts to the crossmember above and behind the block. The Packard has a cast on bellhousing so I can't use a hydroformed store bought bellhousing. This is the same scatter shield I used in this car when I had a 270 and 302 GMC in it. Not at the same time.

Offline RichFox

Engine instalation
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 11:24:04 AM »
Also. On my flathead Plymouth engine, I used a SB Ford scatter shield ( because I had one) and redrilled the block plate to match the Plymouth block. The top two holes also went through the bellhousing flange. Then I welded square stock to the inside of the block plate to use as stiffiners. Needed a little rework to mount the starter and an aluminum plate for the other end to space and locate the Pinto transmission I had and Bobs your uncle.

Offline Stovebolt

Engine instalation
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 12:55:44 PM »
Thanx for the explanation, and the pic.

Do you have to cover all the clutch set-up, or just the flywheel and clutch plate?

I'll see if the scattershield I have fits over a 49-54 bellbousing, maybe thats an easier way ????

Offline RichFox

Engine instalation
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 04:32:08 PM »
Here are two pictures of a blow shield my brother made some years ago. I understand the idea is a 360 degree 1/4 inch thick steel containment ring around the flywheel and pressure plate radius, and from the top of the transmission, side to side, to the ring, to keep anything from going up and back into the car. A fair dinkum blow shield on the cheap.

Offline Stovebolt

Engine instalation
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 05:48:43 AM »
Thanks for the pics of the scattershield. It gives me a great insight into what to build.

Offline RichFox

Engine instalation
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 05:25:24 PM »
If I can post them here are pictures of a mockup of the Packard engine I took for a Packard guy Since the pictures made it I'll mention that I have rustolumed the entire underside of the car and the firewall. The crank is ground the block bored. The Arias pistons should have had .9804 pin bores. They came with .9840 holes. They sent .990 pins. So the rods and pistons will be honed to .990 and everything will fit. The rod bolts are somewhat worn from 50 years of use and ARP wants a small fortune for Packard rod bolts and nuts. Fortunately 354-392-383 MoPar bolts are the same except .010 larger shank. The reamer is on order. Someone unnamed sent me Nash cams for a Packard and was surprised to find they won't work. Imagine that. Not sure how this will work out.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Engine instalation
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 11:58:33 PM »
Excuuuuuse me!  I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out.
What class are you running? Some sort of altered coupe?
And why on earth a Packard? The pin size and the cam points out the problems running an oddball package. Don't get me wrong, I love the odd ball stuff, but it sure makes life tough getting pieces and parts.
Walt Steven's "Odd Couple" Chevy/Chrysler   -------------------------------       Noel Blacks 1960 . . . um . . . twin.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RichFox

Engine instalation
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 12:07:07 AM »
The car has and will run as a Classic Altered. The Packard? I have a bunch of engines laying around that I thought were neat at one time. I decided I would like to see some of them run while I  can. The pin deal has no excuse. Sloppy work by somebody. The cam is another thing.

Offline desotoman

Engine instalation
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 10:40:08 AM »
Rich, keep up the good work. Projects like yours is what makes me love this sport. Good luck.
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
I agree with Desotoman!!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 11:06:25 PM »
Rich,
I ABSOLUTELY agree with Desotoman, and I can hardly wait until next August to see your car and Packard engine. This is what makes Bonneville so great, original thinking!!

I have been dicking around with cars since the 50s and have NEVER seen a built Packard V8!!!! DO IT!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline RichFox

Re: Engine instalation
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 06:14:44 PM »
Slight update with wires, hoses and such. Got my new seat to install and headers yet. Plenty of time to WOS

LVMAXX

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 09:11:36 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:34:25 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »
Well it made it to the salt. I stayed home and sent it with some friends. They tried but after 3 tries gave up and came home. They said it went 110. But at least it was there.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 11:09:53 AM »
I dropped by your pits and found your friends reading plugs and having major mixture balance problems.
Looking at your hood scoop layout I guessed that the problem is that the rear velocity stacks are getting blasted with lots of cold fresh air, and the front are sucking hot air from the engine compartment, as the air needs to move forward from the scoop opening to get to them. I would suggest you take a look at building an air box for the top of the engine so they are all pulling from a common air source.

Larry