Author Topic: rules questions for new guy  (Read 8018 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: rules questions for new guy
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »
Johnny,

If you have Laminated Glass (it should be printed on the glass)  you do not need safety film.

But to answer your question..

Laminex  is best...,,,3M also has a good safety film and clearmask is another choice.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 09:21:38 PM »
thanks for the safety film info. will use 1 3/4 dom for cage when i find out the answers for below.

next. regarding the roll bar issue. rulebook 2011, pg 20 & 22. roll cage 3.b.1 & 3.b.1a regarding gussets on pg 22, fig 2, 3 & 4. what size are they?
confused, YES.
pg 24 shows full length window net. who makes one that big?

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »
thanks for the safety film info. will use 1 3/4 dom for cage when i find out the answers for below.

next. regarding the roll bar issue. rulebook 2011, pg 20 & 22. roll cage 3.b.1 & 3.b.1a regarding gussets on pg 22, fig 2, 3 & 4. what size are they?
confused, YES.
pg 24 shows full length window net. who makes one that big?

Once you have the cage built,, you then measure for a "full door net"  I know of TWO places to get custom door nets and hardware.

1. Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis Works (DCW) can help you.. he has Stroud Custom build the nets.
2. Safety Solutions can also make Custom door nets. (they are in Mooresville, NC at Simpson Safety)

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
thanks charles.
any idea on the gusset sizes?

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
thanks charles.
any idea on the gusset sizes?

if using flat plate gussets,, use .120 or .125  (1/8")  and stitch weld it.  If using tubular gussets then use at least 1.00x.120 DOM.... also better if you TIG weld but to each his own on that.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline fastman614

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »
I am not in the same place as my rule book... the dimensions of the base and the vertical as I recall are to be 4 inches each (at least in the case of a "right" triangle)..... I have always made my gussets to those dimensions even if there is no 90 degree angle in it. Also, I have always put the gussets on the side of the tube that was less than 90 degrees ....

Look carefully at the info too.... the guessets are NOT bo be at the center of the tube(s)...... they are to be towards the outer side of the tube(s).... the outer plane of the tube(s) should be the outer surface of the gusset.

and yes, weld with stitches..... on 4" of length, I go 1/3 weld.... 1/3 NO weld... 1/3 weld....  and, igf the gussets are also used for, say affixing a body panel, there is NOTHING in the rules that says they cannot be of a larger size.... some of mine were 5 1/2" (which equaled more than 4" vertical dimension) up the tube and 16" on the horizontal because it helped to make a safety reytention area for my hands....... these two gussets ran forward
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 12:37:10 PM »
"I am not in the same place as my rule book"  Hunh?  You went on a trip that's a couple of months long, a trip that had you staying without family or much of any recreation -- and you DIDN'T take your rule book?  I would've thought you'd take it and study it and study it and study it. . .  What else is there for contract maintenance workers to do in Sept Isles?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fastman614

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »
"I am not in the same place as my rule book"  Hunh?  You went on a trip that's a couple of months long, a trip that had you staying without family or much of any recreation -- and you DIDN'T take your rule book?  I would've thought you'd take it and study it and study it and study it. . .  What else is there for contract maintenance workers to do in Sept Isles?

Slim, I am sorry to say that I cannot put a quote of Inspector Cluesoe (played by Peter Sellers of course) into typed words.... but in his best bastardized French accent, it was "Don't try to be finny with me!...."

I was on my lunch break at the jobsite which is about 20 miles away from my rule book.... I have have very little need for the rulebook ON the jobsite, actually.... and it is getting to the point that I cannot take extended periods away from the jobsite.... it is gear set up time.... see the pics....It is a big gear!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »
Okay, I'll ask.  Is it the drive gear for an autogenous mill?  Or maybe for the kiln?  Too big for rod or ball mills.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fastman614

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 10:48:47 PM »
Slim.... These ARE ball mills.... definitely NOT autogenous mills...  this particular mill is 13.5' dia. by 28 feet long....

The Autogenous or Semi-Autogenous mills (referred to as AG or SAG mills) that we work with are bigger.... the picture I attached is a 34 foot diameter SAG mill at INCO in Sudbury, Ontario (Trillium and Jody are from there)

The gear is over 40 feet in diameter the motors are 7500 HP each (DC drive).... and that is "little old me" standing there!

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »
Slim.... These ARE ball mills.... definitely NOT autogenous mills...  this particular mill is 13.5' dia. by 28 feet long....

The Autogenous or Semi-Autogenous mills (referred to as AG or SAG mills) that we work with are bigger.... the picture I attached is a 34 foot diameter SAG mill at INCO in Sudbury, Ontario (Trillium and Jody are from there)

The gear is over 40 feet in diameter the motors are 7500 HP each (DC drive).... and that is "little old me" standing there!

and i was guessing it was a chinese laundry shop.  :-D

Offline fastman614

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
they could do some pretty big loads of laundry in washing machines of that size!

Offline dw230

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 08:13:49 PM »
The thread veered of subject as often happens.

The reason I am posting here is that John is a new guy looking for help both with the rules and classification. This thread started off good because the early posters saw that John was intereseted in Loring and not the salt.

After seeing his posts regards the window rules and a string of emails and earlier today a phone conversation I relaized that he got lost. Turns out that John has a couple of rule books, ECTA and SCTA. With several people trying to help he got confused as did the posters as to what rules apply where.

I don't know how to keep the help on track, but I do know that the new guys need to get the correct info.
Here is an example, George Callaway wrote me today that he answered a guy about the Bonneville 200 MPH Club. How George got in the loop I will never know. I guess that when answering a newbie request we be sure the asker knows the diff between the different organizations and rules applied.

Rant over,

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth