Author Topic: rules questions for new guy  (Read 8011 times)

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
rules questions for new guy
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:59:29 PM »
i finally have a rule book and more confused now.
what class will a 73 buick century with a 363 cid built engine run(hybrid intake)?
i'm really trying for the 149mph mark.
roll bar tubing diameter??
netting and hans required?
stock bench seat ok?
wheel stud diameter?
push bar required?

and i thought drag racing rules were tough. please help me make it to loring.

thanks
john

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: rules questions for new guy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
Johnny,  first off WELCOME...

Now let me help clarify a few things... Safety Requirements and Car Classifications do not always go hand in hand.

As someone new to LSR
The most important thing is that the car and driver have the proper safety gear for the intended max speed you think you can run. (as you may run in TO or Time Only class if your not after a class record) in running Time Only,, the car and driver will be "tech'd"  to a max speed based upon the installed safety equipment in the car and the drivers personal safety gear)

Now for a few starting specifics... do you feel your car can go over 135 MPH in a standing start 1.5 mile course ?  If so after 135 you enter RACE CAR STUFF  LOL....

135 and below... no roll bar, but you must have at least 3 point seat belts, SFI 2005 or 2010 Helmet, Long Pants and Long Sleeve Shirt,,Gloves, closed toe shoes. a safe car and good tires with proper air pressure.

After 135 you then get into Roll Bars, Racing Seats, Racing 5 point or better seat belts, better speed rated tires etc... after 150 more roll bar, better tires a fire system etc.. after 175 add a parachute a full cage, better tires, a second fire bottle, fresh air intake for the drivers area,, etc... as you can see it's easy..

***my comments are not intended to replace reading the rule book 10 times over cover to cover,, which you should do..just a quick overview...
Welcome and bring that Buick up and have some fun...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:06:45 AM »
i know changing drag car to lsr car will require me add parts and weight back to the car. i am only going to the 149 mark as beyond that the pocketbook wont stretch anymore(yes dear, just another dollar  :-D).
i have read the book a couple of times. as i said in the thread start, those areas are a little confusing. what do i have to do to be legal and safe?

Offline tedgram

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
i know changing drag car to lsr car will require me add parts and weight back to the car. i am only going to the 149 mark as beyond that the pocketbook wont stretch anymore(yes dear, just another dollar  :-D).
i have read the book a couple of times. as i said in the thread start, those areas are a little confusing. what do i have to do to be legal and safe?

4 point roll bar, fire suit, shoes, gloves, helmet, 5 point seat belt above 150 you need additional equipment like fire protection, race seat, 6 point roll bar. Read your rule book again!

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
Stay 150 and below and you can be legal with just a 4 point roll bar and basic drivers gear.  No Chute and  No Fire system required.

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »
Been on 2 wheels a little while now but i thought you were also required to have a drive shaft loop and 2 throttle return springs once you crossed the 135 line.  Also pay attention to tire ratings...

Offline fastman614

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:33:30 AM »
I am a Bonneville racer and a tech inspector.... I do not know the exact rules for your venue but it seems like a few of the people who have posted replies do know.... If you are unsure, ask more questions..... there is no such thing as a dumb question in my books!.... asking what some would call dumb questions usually prevents the making of dumb mistakes!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »
Been on 2 wheels a little while now but i thought you were also required to have a drive shaft loop and 2 throttle return springs once you crossed the 135 line.  Also pay attention to tire ratings...

Milt, I do think you are correct,,, my replies have been to address the Items that require FAB time, more time and money etc. for his stage of build,,, Like Chutes, Roll Bars, Seats and Belts and Fire Systems.

Throttle springs, shaft loop etc.. "should be common knowledge" and are easy and inexpensive add on's..

But yes,, you are right and I guess when asked an open ended question we should be more elaborate with our answers,, ..

Hope your DUC  is coming along well.

See you in April

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:42:10 PM »
i have the 2010 ecta book which i assume would be for loring also. correct me if i'm wrong.
but anyways, the rollbar section mentions classes and diameters. thats why i asked about car class. if somebody does time only, what diameter do you use??? very confusing. besides, i don't like to read between the lines when it comes to safety.
i am going with minimum of 6 point. and are swing out bars legal? and staying under 150 i still can have the oem bench seat??

thanks
john

Offline tedgram

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »
  Minimum pipe diameter for your engine size is 1 5/8 inches. Swing-out door bars should be fine.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:58:06 PM by tedgram »

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 08:35:14 PM »
safety film, what brand are we supposed to use on the windows?

thanks for all the help.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
Not needed if you have safety glass.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »
For  150 to 175  you can use  1 5/8 x.120 roll bar tubing  I would use DOM,,, and if you ever think you may want to go faster you may want to use 1 3/4 x .120 DOM,,, and yes swing out bars are OK,,,, Competition Engineering/Moroso makes a swing out kit as does Art Morrison and several other companies.

As to a bench seat,,, I am not sure,,, but I am not going to use a bench seat over 135... so ask Joe Timney from Delaware Chassis Works,,, he can help with the seat question.

No safety film needed for your speeds.. also factory glass is safety glass (laminated) so it is OK.

Keep us posted,,

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »
Some factory glass is tempered.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
got a neighbor down the street that does nascar modifieds. he will do the roll bar for a good price. if i keep giving him turnips and other stuff, it will cost me nothing. :-D.
i think the 73 glass is laminated. i have some spares i could test. anybody know what brand and kind of safety film?

thanks
john