Author Topic: Chasing Dragons  (Read 9346 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Chasing Dragons
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
Let's all remember that this is under the Texas Mile heading and we've morphed to SCTA Bonneville procedures.  That being said, I believe that the 2nd mile speeds are only available on the short courses.

(That ought to confuse someone.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »
Stan, the two long courses are pre wired to handle the 1 to 2 mile if there is a problem with the 2 short courses(Course 1 &2 will be long combo courses, course 3 will be a standard short course and course 4 will be a rookie if there is salt available..
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
There -- that oughta clear it up.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »
Not so minor,
   :mrgreen:

but very educational
   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »

If a Lakster weight 1300lbs with 1300 hp that 1 hp to 1 lb.

I think you are going to need AWD and good traction control!

At those speeds, I see little advantage to a lakester versus a streamliner.

Offline dw230

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
Last September four single engine, RWD cars ran in excess of 400 MPH. Do you think AWD is needed?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »
Last September four single engine, RWD cars ran in excess of 400 MPH. Do you think AWD is needed?

DW

Maybe at Texas, different venue, different needs.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »

DW

Maybe at Texas, different venue, different needs.

Tom G.

I think so, but I am just guessing and me being wrong is always an option!  :-D

None of the 400 mph cars are hitting anywhere near 325 mph in a mile (Not that they are trying to).  Could they if they re-geared and had the better traction at the Texas Mile? 

Offline Breck

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 10:36:47 PM »
"Maybe at Texas, different venue, different needs."

Tom G.

sockjohn

" I think so, but I am just guessing and me being wrong is always an option! 

None of the 400 mph cars are hitting anywhere near 325 mph in a mile (Not that they are trying to).  Could they if they re-geared and had the better traction at the Texas Mile?  "

I am thinking yes.  Well maybe...   The TM is an asphalt runway,  Bonneville looks like the surface of Mars or something.  Packed granular salt, with what looks like meanduring veins on a body builder.   I have driven 80 to 100 down of few dirt roads in a pickup (country boy) and that was pretty sporty, especially if the maintainer was in a hurry when he was grading the road.  The blade bounces off the ground making a wash board out of it.  About 10 times worse than those attention getter's on the side of the highway.  368 in a lakester on Bonneville sounds like .5 mach in a paint shaker!  Sounds REAL SPORTY.  : ]    Anyway, Lakester, Streamliners are HEAVY, that is still amazing me, example 41 Burkland streamliner, 438.815 mph.  It weighs 5160lb with fuel, driver and coolant...What is that, about the same weight as a tow truck?  It's driven by two 450 ci Alky, supercharged engines and think it is all wheel drive.  Riding on and driven by 24.5 x 7 16 MTs and a with custom final drive of 1:1.   

http://www.ugofadini.com/burklandstory1.html

I guessing all that weight is about stability and traction for skinny, low rolling resistance tires, that and you want a lot of big bars around you if things don't go as plan.   

OK I promise I will stop taking about Bonneville.  sorry sorry I started that when I wanted a car that could do both the salt and the Texas Mile, 325 at TM.
It is looking like the smartest way to go about catching  that 324 mph asphalt dragon, is to build a very light weight car for that job.

I must have look at  hundreds of pictures today, looked up dozens of records, and read about as many different cars.

My head is throbbing , but I having a great time!  : ]

Offline Breck

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »
Hey

I found something interesting.   Nebulous Theorem II
http://www.aemelectronics.com/motorsports/?p=71

Hayabusa 1520 cc  700hp 1550lb streamliner  22 ft long

08/06 G/BFS Speed Week 309.607  ; ]    
http://yacoucci.com/records.htm

Turbo, methanol, 2.0l Ecotec _2000 cc_ 200lb, 1450 hp possible,  bet I wouldn't need that much.  Also doubt 1450 would last a mile, might be wrong, GM detuned theirs a little, for you know where.
6 speed F40 transverse trans 125 lbs  deburred, buff, cryoed and shot peened might do 600hp.  : |

Another thing, top fuel dragster, need that long noes as leverage. er, right?  to keep them from flipping over.  7500 to 10,000 hp  you want to shift the weight of the car on to the back wheels to squat down and grip.
The mile isn't about how many seconds it takes to travel that distance, it's about how fast you going when you get there. Blistering launches aren't as important as top speed.  Might not want a 22 foot car.  So maybe even lighter.  Fast winding, high revving (Ecotec limit is 11,000 rpm), Heavy use of boost control at launch, some drag slicks, mostly for the gear changes.  

Look's like Grandads Corvair might be getting a roll cage instead of interior, and maybe drag slick instead of PSIIs.  Go pop my 200 mph cherry (some one suggested it : ]) and start figuring this out in person.
Pretty sure I can get down to 2000lb, with a roll cage, without too much fiberglass  500hp/2000lbs   4 lbs per 1hp  is not a bad place to start.  That's a better power to weight than a 264mph, Bugatti Veyron  4400lbs/ 1024hp.  4.4/1  

AND th Cd for the Veyron is .41 before it lowers it self down, then its Cd is .36.  A 62 Corvair, 4 drs Cd is .42 factory, .36 for a 65-69. Hotrods b'ville what 80? Camaro's massaged cd was .20  the Camaro was model after the late model Corvair and still had a simular profile in around 1979 80 something.  So I wonder what lowering and an air dam, wing, will do.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:09:17 AM by Breck »

Offline Breck

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 10:00:02 AM »
Mornin Scott

Thanks,  Ecotec specific info can be hard to find.  Quick check at Amazon showed this in the review:

"*More about exotic high-tech heat management, including refrigerant and multi-stage intercooling."

Way Cool!  The Burkland Steamer uses 57 gallons of water for cooling, x 7.5lbs is 427.5lbs! The most I have seen so far.  Even that Suzuki motor uses..  9.2 gals coolant and 5 gals ice/and water? for the intercooler,  Ruffly 106.5lbs.  I've seen like 33 gallon tanks/cooling and 20 gal ice water for intercoolers in err Coblat or HHR 2.0L.  Wondered about compressed nitrogen or maybe even micro burst from LN2.  Probably freeze the moisture in the air into a block of ice on the intercooler, but who knows.  The engine cooling wouldn't be as much of an issue for a mile, but I hear heat soak really mounts up fast in an intercooler.

Weight related note, Burkland streamliner, two 450 ci motors, 76 gallons of fuel, Alcohol is I think 7 lbs/gal  that's 532lbs.  Nebulous carries 3 gals : ]

Here is a link to a free download of GM Sport compact Performance build book.  It's pretty cool, breaks down from 250 hp to 1400 hp, in 100 horse increments, of the parts required/desired.  If anyone else is interested.
http://gmtunersource.com/index.php/racertech/ecotec-build-book

Later, and thanks again to everybody.