Author Topic: Chasing Dragons  (Read 9343 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Chasing Dragons
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
You do realize that a thrust car is not legal for any of the salt events? You can arrange for and purchase private time if you desire.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline entropy

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »
Have you given any consideration as to just how you will stop this machine at Texas ...?

hey Joe,
In 2009? a thrust car hit 270-something, then 320-something at the Texas Mile and i don't recall any stopping issues.
But you are right, stopping at Texas is something we don't take lightly.
Karl

Offline Breck

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »
Afternoon fellas

DallasV
Found Fred's car  360mph awesome!
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bville-cars-1/phpslideshow.php?directory=.&currentPic=9
DRM racing  blown 432 ci Chrysler hemi built by drag racer Tony Waters  Would love to no more details about the engine, suspension ect.  If anybody know more please share

55chevr
Have you given any consideration as to just how you will stop this machine at Texas ...?

Honestly no, at least not until you asked.. there is a half mile runoff at the end of the mile.  Space Machine the Jet funny car that went to 324 didn't crash, but that all I know.  However as I understand it, and that is very limited, the maximum speed for a Jet or Top Fuel dragster in NHRA is set by the runoff distance 300 mph and track length of 1000 ft in some cases if the runoff is 1/2 mile or less.. 325 and 1320 ft for runoffs greater than 1/2 mile.  324 might be getting close to max. speed for a half mile runoff, but I don't know.  Don't quote me on that.  I found that late last night and I am shooting from the hip.

Here is the video for that Jet Funny run ( I keep incorrectly calling it a dragster)
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3797.0.html

It pops a chute and that's the end of the video, would have liked to see it come to a stop.

dw230
 I am hoping to beat a jet's record, with pistons, at the Texas Mile, not race one, but I would like to run the same lakester at Bonneville.

Breck

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:18:07 PM by Breck »

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »
OK,

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
BTW, Fast Fred's exit speed was 386.110mph, worlds fastest open wheel driven car. You should have seen the tires after the run.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:06:17 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
I'll call your bluff, Glen -- even though I know it wasn't a bluff.  Here are a few pictures I took of Fred's tires at the far end of the course after that run:

And finally -- Fred Dannenfelzer and the crowd, with the car:

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
Looks like Teague's tires, just a littly hairy but still holding air....  :roll:  Must have been the 300 MPH tires.  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Breck

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »
BTW, Fast Fred's exit speed was 386.110mph, worlds fastest open wheel driven car. You should have seen the tires after the run.

WOW!  I think I found a roll model.  I wonder what his speed was at the end of the first mile.  Also wonder how much hp, I bet 325 on asphalt could be done with less.

Hoolllly Crap, that's a pretty good days work, 386 and seconds away from catastrophic failure of both rear tires.

Thanks a bunch for the pic's Slim.  Hate to sound greedy, but ..got any more.  : ]

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »
Breck:

A minor exercise: go to the SCTA website www.scta-bni.org, find Fred's record, find the year, pull up that year's run file, see what his speeds were thru the different sets of lights for each of his runs (you know what his car number is, right?), including the record run.

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Breck

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 02:07:41 AM »
Hello Mike

"A minor exercise:" 

Not so minor, but very educational, I was all over the place. Really extensive link section, hoping around looking at the different clubs, checked out the store, shopped for T shirts, bought a rule book. : ]  Tried one more time and found it under Boneville/Speed week/records:

44 B BFL DRM Racing    1/4 298.056  1st mile 315.619   2nd 351.188   3rd mile 366.546
I thought ya kinda feathered on the power for the first mile or two on the salt.?  THAT is a 300 mph 1/4 mile?  Most Impressive.  That's almost 325/mile on salt! 

Thanks for the workout.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »
Breck - and everyone that's interested:

Go to www.photobucket.com and look for the Seldom Seen Slim folder.  There are files for most of the recent years' events, listed by event.  You should be able to click away to your heart's content for a few hours.  The folders are unlocked.  Some others aren't -- but then, who'd be interested in seeing Nancy's tattoos -- or all of 'em, that is.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DallasV

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
Breck,
In salt lingo 1/4 is actually the first 1/4 mile of the 3rd mile. First 2 miles are not timed. So this may lose you, the mile speed is actually the time it takes to get thru the 3rd mile, 2nd mile is actually the 4th, 3rd mile is actually the 5th. Exit speed or "out the back door" is the last 132 feet of the 3rd timed mile or the 5th mile of course under power. Clear as mud right. :evil: That being said if your in the pits and you hear 298 in the 1/4 on the C.B. you stop what your doing to take a peek.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:04:30 AM by DallasV »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
Breck,
In salt lingo 1/4 is actually the first 1/4 mile of the 2nd mile. First 2 miles are not timed. So this may lose you, the mile speed is actually the time it takes to get thru the 3rd mile, 2nd mile is actually the 4th, 3rd mile is actually the 5th. Exit speed or "out the back door" is the last 132 feet of the 3rd timed mile or the 5th mile of course under power. Clear as mud right. :evil: That being said if your in the pits and you hear 298 in the 1/4 on the C.B. you stop what your doing to take a peek.
Not the first 1/4 mile of the 3rd mile?  :cheers: Wayno

Offline DallasV

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
Breck,
In salt lingo 1/4 is actually the first 1/4 mile of the 2nd mile. First 2 miles are not timed. So this may lose you, the mile speed is actually the time it takes to get thru the 3rd mile, 2nd mile is actually the 4th, 3rd mile is actually the 5th. Exit speed or "out the back door" is the last 132 feet of the 3rd timed mile or the 5th mile of course under power. Clear as mud right. :evil: That being said if your in the pits and you hear 298 in the 1/4 on the C.B. you stop what your doing to take a peek.
Not the first 1/4 mile of the 3rd mile?  :cheers: Wayno

Thanks Wayno, I fixed it. I often type faster than I think, and I dont type very fast.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »
Before Stan Back gets on here - I'll remind you, like he did me, that in the past year the officials started installing lights to time from Mile 1 to mile 2. 

So when you hear a quarter speed -- it's really from the second set of lights - from mile 2 to mile 2 1/4.

Got it? 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com