Author Topic: June meet  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Stovebolt

June meet
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:30:03 AM »
I'm thinking of taking in the June meet this year.

Flying 1/2 way across the world for 2 hot rod events is a big deal to me. Is the June meet usually a well patronised event in terms of racers?

I was there in Sept 2009, and guys i spoke to said it was extremely poorly attended - it was still mecca to me ;)
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.

Offline bvillercr

Re: June meet
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
May and November has the most attendance because they are two day meets.  June should be a good one, especially if the lake bed doesn't dry out for the may meet.  The closer you get to Bonneville the less attendees, September is probably the least attended because everyone was just at Bonneville in august.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »
It's true that race attendance varies during the year. There is no such thing as a bad race at El Mirage.

Last June there were 111 entries, 70 cars, 41 bikes. Everyone had an opportunity to run twice. There were 172 runs.

Fastest race speeds are in the mid 250's (WOW). Race starts are by points position, so the fastest run first. Make sure you are there at sunrise. You can wander anywhere at the pits and drool admire all the cars and bikes.

Once you get to the lake bed don't expect much. All the activity is at the other end and you have to drive quite a while before you see anything.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
Dean,

"Once you get to the lake bed don't expect much." except for the dozens of dirt bikes, quads and 3 wheelers driving out of dust clowds directly across your chosen path.

Glad most stay at the East end!
Tom

Offline Stovebolt

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:17:50 AM »
There is no such thing as a bad race at El Mirage.

All the activity is at the other end and you have to drive quite a while before you see anything.
I have to agree - there ain't nothing else like a dry lakes meet.

I found the drive from the ranger's station to the race exciting - tension built up the whole way there - made me feel like a boy waiting for Santa to arrive again ;) :-P :evil:

i'm still trying to work out a way of taking a week off work on sick-leave in order to go  :cry: :|
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.