Author Topic: rearend gears  (Read 9308 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: rearend gears
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »
I have a 1970 Ford manual that has the axle code for 2.33 on the door tag for 1970 models including Mustangs as being X.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:57 AM »
Just noticed on one of SaltRat's links it lists the same code for the 2.33.  I would guess these gears are more common in Texas or in the mid-west where the roads are endless.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 07:29:28 AM »
the elusive 2.29 12 bolt gm only came in a 396 2 barrel car in an Impala or some none such---I gave up and settled on GM 10-12 2.28 Caddys

Just recently saw some 2.27 8.5 GM gears listed on EBAY---I have never seen any reffrence to them in any GM or Hollander  my curiousity was NOT up to the 150.00 purchase and freight.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:20:08 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 10:04:06 AM »
When they say "X" code, they are talking about the "axle" code on the door tag or sticker. If the rear end hasn't been changed, the door sticker will tell you what's in the rear without having to crawl under. It will also tell you if it's posi or not. A lot of 77-78 Thunderbirds and Cougars had 2.47s in them.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 10:17:32 AM »
After I looked at the second link Saltrat posted, down at the very bottom of the page is a chart showing door tag codes. It shows a 2.33 for "F" code open and "X" code for locker.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
77-78 was when Caddy had the 2.28 gears
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline fastman614

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
from what I can glean, the 2.33 was in fact avaible in Lincolns.... it was a 9 3/8" ring gear.... the carrier etc does fit a 9" housing (and vice versa) but reliefs have to be ground into a 9" housing in order for the 9 3/8 gear to pass through.... The  carrier and most of the parts for a 9 3/8" center section are NOT interchangeable with a 9" center section..... and th 9 3/8" differential USED ONLY 31 SPLINE AXLES. 

This ratio was supposedly also available in some golf carts and/or other lawn type equipment that used Ford 9" rear axles .....

Now, apparently, there was also a 2.33 to 1 gear ratio available in the small (7.5 inch) Ford integral rear axle as well.... do not confuse the two....

Sparky.... if you find some diffs..... I want one...
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 11:25:41 PM »
The easiest big ring gear is the 8 7/8  Caddy with the 2.28 has 28 splines  Had one in my Lakester that is now the rear axle for the truck a converted another center section to a frt axel for our 4x4 truck by changing the tubes out.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
Ford did offer the 2.33 gears in a 13/35-tooth count and they came in big Lincoln’s of the 70's and not a 100% sure but I always thought they were 9 3/8” rear ends.  Tony

The information I was able to find was that the tooth count was 15 to 35..... and they were/are 9 3/8 ring gears.... happy hunting

Offline fastman614

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »
This link has immediate access to about 10 or more pages of Ford axle codes.... It states the gear ratios, whether it was posi or not, ring gear diameter and generally states whether it was an integral rear axle or not...... however, alas, NO reference to the elusive 2.33 to 1 ratio..... except in a 7 3/4" diff.... nor does it have part numbers or part number suffixes

http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm

Offline fastman614

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
Okay.....So.....NOW..... I have decided that I want a 2.50 Ford 9" 3rd member complete and in usable condition without a rebuild..... NON posi with 28 spline gears... delivered to Bonneville Speedweek would be fine........ BTW..... I already own 2.47s and every other Ford and Richmond Gear ratio up to 3.00, so please do not offer me any.

What have you got and how much money?..... and I do have stuff to trade ...