Author Topic: how much fuel?  (Read 15955 times)

Offline gotzy

Re: how much fuel?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »
This is one of those enlightening threads that makes this place great for a newbie like myself. Several  good points made (and taken). Thanks.  :cheers:

x2 there!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
We have been running at Bonneville for 40+ years now...... we are usually very careful about making sure we have lots of fuel. Until we needed to make a water tank out of our original (not stock) fuel tank, we had a 30 gallon tank in our Vega.... It did NOT run out of fuel..... We now have an 8 gallon fuel tank and it is always a worry about whether or not we can make two full runs with warmups and all. If the tank is full, it will...and we have never run the Vega out of fuel.

The lakester now... it has a 10 gallon fuel cell .... we fill it quite full as well..... the first year we ran the lakester, we were licensing two drivers.... we had got the second driver up to a 190 mph+ B License run.... we were doing laps on the short course on Friday morning .... and .... someone's (NOT mine)  "famous last words" ....  "We are only running for 3 miles and not at full throttle- SURE it will make another run!!!!"...... well he was coasting at the 2 1/4 mile at 185 mph.... and we ran out of time to make that A License pass....

So, even with a big tank keep watching the fuel consumption.....

There is one other thing I must add..... and another case of "famous last words" are part of this one as well.....(it was the same "someone" as well) If you are running in ANY GAS CLASS- unless you know that you are only doing license passes or your engine is 300 hp or something under what it will take to set a record- GET YOUR TANK SEALED! .. with the Vega back in about 1999 or 2000..... (here come the words).... "NAW....NAW.... The car won't be able to qualify for the record.... we are just going out for a test pass!".... the record was 237.833 mph..... the car went 240.959 mph!..... WITH AN UNSEALED TANK!..... the next run would have made a record 2 way average..... but was short of being a qualifying run (at about 234.950 moh)..... and we hurt the motor bad after that.... It took until 2003 for  to set that record and get our third team member into the two club.....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
We average less than 4 gallons per run and had a 16 gallon cell in which we ran at about 15 gallons full paranoia about running out on a back up run ran rampant :-P

ps. this was with 900 hp on gas

Sparky.... I have been meaning to ask you.... 900hp on gas.... was that in your lakester on your way to 300+ MPH?.... Specifically, did you go over 300MPH with 900 horespower?

Offline fastman614

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
as easy as winning the lotto

Haha! Glen, that's what I was getting at. The comment just came across sound naive!

Anyway, good luck BalsaSalt.

I have been meaning to ay something about this one for a while.... It is easier than winning the lotto.... way easier..... especially if you compare the fraction of one percent who hit it big playing the lotto in comparison to the tens or perhaps hundreds of millions of people who sseriously play the lott worldwide.... I sort of think that, if a 200 MPH Club hat is the big prize, on a per capita basis your odds of "winning" at Bonneville are thousands of times greater.... now, DON'T go comparing to dollars spent though!.... cuz a $2.00 lotto ticket, compared to the hotrodders equivalent in spending $2.00 in real money, won't even get you a rule book.... and of course, with the lotto, it IS mathematically possible to get the big prize with just one ticket - purchased ONLY ONCE in your life too!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
actually your chances of getting in the 2 club would improve greatly after you hit the lottery  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
I think the second hat's only $10 or $15.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »
yep, we got that butt ugly RATICAL Lakester a little over 3 with a little over 900 on gas
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
actually your chances of getting in the 2 club would improve greatly after you hit the lottery  :roll:

I cannot argue with that!   :-D

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2018, 03:02:49 PM »
and then you can see yourself on one of those TV shows about the people who've won the lottery and then went broke :roll: :-o :-(
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 03:14:48 PM »
and then you can see yourself on one of those TV shows about the people who've won the lottery and then went broke :roll: :-o :-(

I knew a woman here in Tucson who won $200k back in the '80s. The money destroyed that family; it was a curse for them.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
I'm STILL waiting for Michael Anthony.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »
The book "Performance Automotive Engine Math" by John Baechtel gives the formulae for figuring out fuel consumption.  It is in print.