Author Topic: how much fuel?  (Read 15957 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
how much fuel?
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »
this is probably more of a question for the AA/G guys , how much gasoline is used for a full 5 mile run? thinking in the extreme sense. 5 gal? 6 gal? trying to figure a safe fuel cell size. i don't want to carry more than whats needed............plus a pinch more for those extended starting line waits. :? :? :?
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: how much fuel?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »
Nothing says you cant put 5-6 gallons in a 10 gallon cell if you have the room, and fueling up and resealing is a pain.

I say go as large as you can fit.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JoshH

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:54:57 PM »
Jonny beat me to it...

You might want to consider carrying enough fuel for qualifying and return; just so you don't have to deal with re-sealing the tank every time in impound. 4 hours can fly by…

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 03:38:58 AM »
Jonny beat me to it...

You might want to consider carrying enough fuel for qualifying and return; just so you don't have to deal with re-sealing the tank every time in impound. 4 hours can fly by…
i really like the way you think josh. now thats positive thinking. i do anticipate a trip to impound. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D and one less thing to do can be key.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:31:47 AM »
We average less than 4 gallons per run and had a 16 gallon cell in which we ran at about 15 gallons full paranoia about running out on a back up run ran rampant :-P

ps. this was with 900 hp on gas
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:58:09 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »
We actually have run out before with a 6 gal. tank. We now make sure it is full to the brim every run.

Offline GH

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »
I have a 20 gal tank, usually buy 10 or 12 gals of fuel. My car is EFI and uses only about 2 gals per 5 mile run.

Offline JoshH

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »
and one less thing to do can be key.

EXACTLY :-D

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
ok, you guys convinced me. i'll go with a bigger tank than originally thought, and think back-up run. no need to add fuel. i'll carry enough for two runs. i'm thinking a 12 gal cell should work. any thoughts?

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 02:11:18 PM »
 i do anticipate a trip to impound. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D and one less thing to do can be key.
[/quote]

This Bonneville thing is pretty easy then,  huh?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »
as easy as winning the lotto
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »
I run in the AA class and my car has a 8 gallon cell, with a warm up and run it takes just over 3 gallons. I like to fill the tank until it just covers the foam a little. If you have your gas can filled you can have it sealed too and just have a official watch you pour it in the tank. Thanks

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
i do anticipate a trip to impound. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D and one less thing to do can be key.

This Bonneville thing is pretty easy then,  huh?
[/quote]
far from easy............just not quitting till i have my hat. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »
as easy as winning the lotto

Haha! Glen, that's what I was getting at. The comment just came across sound naive!

Anyway, good luck BalsaSalt.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline John Burk

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
Is the fuel truck open before morning record runs ?