Author Topic: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?  (Read 60455 times)

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
T-2011 – what’s behind the number?
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »
After introducing myself earlier today I am very much honored to introduce our new educational project to the LSR community:

The Granite Falls High School “LSR-UC” car is going to become a “rolling educational STEM laboratory” run by a mixed team of girls and boys grade 9-12. This will raise the bar and apply Science, Technology, Engineering and Math in a real world problem solving setting. After the April Shell Eco-marathon fuel efficiency race in Houston, TX our 2011 Diesel Urban Concept Car will be modified for use of B20 Bio Diesel.

We plan to test this car with a comprehensive protocol first at Sea Level in 50 degrees Fahrenheit using the PACCAR Technical Test Center in Mt. Vernon, Washington and then second, repeat the same test protocol at 4,500 feet altitude at 90 degrees Fahrenheit at World of Speed in Bonneville, Utah. There, under the watchful eye of the technical inspectors we will use part of the 3 mile short course unique to the WOS for a variety of scientific testing September 14-17, 2011. It offers a unique setting with options to individualize and tailor performance protocols. Visiting schools can participate in the learning with hands-on activities.

We will attempt to get on the books as a first ever youth school team to raise awareness for alternative fuels, and make it an educational outreach endeavor across State lines. T-2011 is the temporary race number our car will carry!

Our Major Sponsors and Supporters are:

PACCAR Technical Test Center, Mt. Vernon, WA  -  use of test track and provider of B20 biodiesel
Center of Excellence in Aerospace and Advanced Materials Manufacturing, Everett, WA  -  Sponsorship to fund advanced carbon fiber materials on our car and raise awareness for alternative fuels.
Target550 – Treit and Davenport LSR – Technical and Logistics/PR Consulting for testing at Bonneville, UT
BECU (Boeing Employee Credit Union) – School Grant to fund test and data collection software and technology.

For more info and how you can become a part of this exciting and fun learning experience please contact us
Michael Werner - Email: mwerner@gfalls.wednet.edu    Website: http://live.gfalls.wednet.edu/ecoteam/

Granite Falls High School -  Home of the ShopGirls and UrbanAutos Car Team
1401 - 100 Street, NE  -  Granite Falls, WA 98252 USA      Direct (360) 283-4375

The pictures show: 3/2010 Eco-marathon in Houston, TX            2/2011 – Team + car before rebuild     1:10 scale model of the 2011 LSR-UC Car

T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »
I applaud this project, and wish the team success!

One of the most rewarding things that happened at WOS last year was when busloads of High School students from Salt Lake City showed up.  They walked the pits, asked great questions, and were very interested in what was happening.

That you've taken this to the next level, and that the USFRA has welcomed you to this event is great news.

Your team stands in excellent company with those who have tested their vehicles on the salt - Ford, Rolls Royce, MG, Chrysler, along with numerous university endeavors.  That a High School program is working in this field with experimental and cutting edge technology lets me know that the future is bright.

I will be at the World of Speed event, and I look forward to seeing this vehicle and meeting the team members.

Sincerely,

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
Thank you Chris for your inspiring post, especially you reminding us know what kind of company we will be amongst after WOS. Stay tuned for more frequent postings as we are getting the car ready for our first competition in Houston TX in April.

Michael
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:17:41 PM »
Really looking forward to follow your team build! If your team half as good as Freud to fill us in whats happening it will be a 'treit' to follow! I really hope the team will be able to share extensivly the engine tech at that experimental level, what conclutions and desicions your team makes, computer software and simulating programs youre using, what you do to to the engine to utilize maximum energy out of the petrol, new materials, friction reduction and all that. The cage or aero can never compete with anything what Marlo is building, thus slightly less interesting in my opinion, but your engine tech can be at the forefront as good as the best! I would love to see you make this your teams discussion board!

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »
Schruiber, you should talk to the people at PACCAR Tech Center to see if they could hook you up with the University of Washingtons' low speed wind tunnel they had on campus that we used at Kenworth 30 plus years ago (if it's still there).  Boeing aslo has one.  Low speed I don't know.  It will be interesting to follow your project on this website... keep us posted.
Bruce

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
Hoi Schruiber.  As your school is a public school, and the U.ofW. is a state university, you might contact the Kirsten Wind Tunnel team and ask about costs and scheduling.  Then perhaps a reasonable grant request from a foundation may be available. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »
Thank you for your postings re. data and aero. I have been working on figuring out data acquisition systems within our budget to go with our intended iPhone/iPad dash board idea and use of computer for downloaded data analysis; I will soon post a question for input, suggestions and recommendations.  For aero testing, the UW tunnel is something I heard of and shall inquire as you suggest. At the PACCAR test track and Bonneville we want to tuff the car and video. In 2009 we built a almost 10 feet long low speed wind tunnel drawing about 35mph with a large house fan; we can test 1:10 scale models in the 1x1 foot cross section which is 2 feet long. At current it is mechanical using a scale from our science department, yet we have purchased electronic sensors to upgrade so we can test drag and lift, then download for analysis. We are also adding a flow straightener on the intake side. Attached picture is from our annual Middle School - High School mini eco car camp outreach, where our HS girls teach the MS girls about design, aero and how to make models from foam, then test - needless to say it's a fun 2 days, including food, facepaint and music!

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:00:40 AM »
I'll tell you.

He has inspired these students to really dedicate themselves to these projects.

I doubt that they ever miss a day of school just so they can work on their cars.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:12:23 AM »
I only wish I'd had a high school teacher who showed the imagination and initiative shown by Michael. I'm sure school would have been a much more satisfactory experience. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
I only wish I'd had a high school teacher who showed the imagination and initiative shown by Michael. I'm sure school would have been a much more satisfactory experience. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Pete

I'd have just been happy to have girls in my shop classes!

PJ, put your drink down . . . No drinking on school property.

Do keep us posted, Michael.  I think you've found a very interested audience.

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »
I'm happy that this audience can enjoy Michael and his students as much as I do.

They have been to Hume's shop several times and I stopped at the school once.

They are amazing with the questions they ask.

Can you imagine the Shop Girls being welders?

They are.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:55:31 PM »
I am gong to post a few pictures these next couple of days of how it all began - with research and "home work" at World of Speed 2008 for building models to getting launched with the Shell Eco-marathon - first with the ShopGirls then with UrbanAutos - and now onto coming full circle of bringing the Urban car to run on biodiesel at WOS 2011. At the beginning of the 08 school year I got a new freshmen class for career advising, yet being during WOS I had to do it with a Youtube video    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScLe86E-uv0   from the salt - where, not really knowing much I boldly announced that we were going to build a car!

Captions
#1 "Since we already have the yellow one in the background, I think we build one like the one on the trailer"  :-)

#2 "Maybe a LSR school bus lets kids enjoy the ride together"!  (It's actually a CO2 car)

#3  A variety of streamliner models made by students on display at school (Nov. 08)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »
School bus yellow would be a great color - it worked for George Follmer in the old Trans Am Mustang in the early 1970's, and would make for a great statement regarding who's putting this thing together.

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:05:44 AM »
Schoolbus Yellow might just go very well with our black "do not paint - major cool factor" carbon fiber doors; add a white roof and ......do not add a stop sign - because we want to go, and a one sided "airbrake" might just ruin the run at the end !

See our short stop-motion carbon fiber panel video, made by Matt Weaver of Fiberglass Supply; he is one of our sponsors and works with the students as mentor.

Video Link    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBLLeDcAWts  

Captions (Grade):
#1  Aron (12) team manager
#2  Tim (10), Aron and Jasmine (9) look above in the group photo with wind tunnel; she is in the second row on the right and a 7th grader!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:29:47 PM by Schruiber »

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:38 AM »
and a couple more pictures....

#1 shows the original car under construction just about a year ago (Jan 2010) with a mystery driver and "Philippe the Fire Wall" - our mascot. You will see him more and I'll share the story soon.

#2 Being the only other 2 seat car (not a requirement) besides Shell's own (on the left) allowed us to give the CEO of Shell Americas a ride on the opening parade lap + major TV coverage and one of the Shell feature stories on their global website

http://www.shell.com/home/content/innovation/feature_stories/2010/ecomarathon_march_2010/