Author Topic: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?  (Read 60690 times)

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
Re: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
Thank you Chris for the BD wishes - doesn't feel any different as I am back at the school shop to work with the students on our "LSR" car. We are still on summer vacation until September 6 or so = lots of summer overtime for the kids.
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2011, 12:54:51 AM »
Mike, now might be a good time to let us know how we could make a donation to the program.  You'll have some expenses getting to Bonneville - I left a message on your phone at the school, and if I can help out, I'd like to do that - and with Slim's permission, maybe challenge some of the other folks who post here to do the same.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
Chris,  I was briefly at school yesterday, got your message.  It is wonderful you want to support us. 
Geoffrey Green (American Jaguar elsewhere on this forum) already donated a Lexan NACA air inlet, after I saw your set-up.
Target 550, Marlo Treit, his crew and Freud are transporting our car to Bonneville and will lend support on the salt.

The biggest expense for the kids and us is most often travel, lodging and food (teenagers eat a lot),........and that rocket motor we want to install  :-D 

In return sponsors willt their name and/or logo will be added to our car and our website http://live.gfalls.wednet.edu/ecoteams/sponsors/  additional each one will get a team photo and be added to the newsletter list.
See below for more info about our WOS venue
Thank you in advance for all your help - we look forward meeting you all on the salt in T-18 Days !  (= lots of overtime 'til then)
Michael

------

T2011 – What’s behind the number?       
August 24, 2011 – for immediate release
Granite Falls High School UrbanAutos team won 1st place at this years’ Shell Eco-marathon® in Houston, Texas. Additionally,   they now hold the new Americas Record for the Urban Concept Diesel Category with 186 MPG.
For our next tests the car will use GDiesel® and B20 Biodiesel and is going to become a “rolling Career and Technical Education (CTE) - STEM laboratory” run by a mixed team of girls and boys grade 9-12. This Project Based Learning will raise the bar and apply Science, Technology, Engineering and Math in a real world problem solving setting.
We will attempt to get on the books as a first ever youth school team to raise awareness for alternative fuels, and make it an educational outreach endeavor across State lines. Visiting schools (Morningside Elementary, Salt Lake City) are participating in the learning with hands-on activities.  Multi-Age classes in Granite Falls are linked in via SKYPE and YouTube.   
First, in early June we tested this car with a comprehensive protocol at Sea Level in 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit using the oval track at PACCAR Technical Center in Mt. Vernon, Washington for fuel efficiency and acceleration over 2/10 mile.
Second, we will repeat the same test protocol at 4,300 feet altitude at ~ 90 degrees Fahrenheit at World of Speed in Bonneville, Utah. There, under the watchful eye of the technical inspectors we will use part of the 1 mile short course unique to the WOS for a variety of scientific testing September 14-17, 2011. It offers a variety of options to individualize and tailor performance protocols.   T2011 is the temporary race number our car will carry!                                                 
Our Major Sponsors and Supporters to datefor this venue are:
•   PACCAR Technical Center, Mt. Vernon, WA  -  use of test track and provider of B20 Biodiesel
•   Center of Excellence in Aerospace and Advanced Materials Manufacturing, Everett, WA  -  Funding for outreach to
                 raise awareness for alternative fuels and advanced composite materials in an educational setting.
•   Target550 /Treit and Davenport LSR, Aurora, OR  – Technical and Logistics/PR Consulting for testing at Bonneville, UT
•   ARC - Advanced Refining Concepts, LLC, Sparks, NV  –  GDiesel® Sponsor
•   USFRA – Utah Salt Flat Racing Association, Salt Lake City, UT -  World of Speed event host
•   BECU (Boeing Employee Credit Union) – School Grant to fund test and data collection software and technology.

T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
Re: T-2011 – what’s behind the number? A CHALLENGE!
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2011, 10:13:34 AM »
Okay, ya'll, we've been watching this one come together. 

Target 550's ponied up transport, and this team, a team of High School students, are going to the salt, with a car of their own creation.

http://live.gfalls.wednet.edu/ecoteams/

On the middle of the left hand side of this page is a donation form.  Mike, expect a check from me before the end of the week. 

I challenge everyone else who has watched this build to do the same.

On the form is a note for a "Gift of Honor".  This check will be in memory of my High School shop teacher, Aaron Thompson, who taught for years at Linn-Mar High School in Marion, Iowa.  Mr. Thompson helped me get my first car, a 1962 T-Bird Convertible, roadworthy and safe.  He also restored a beautiful '55 Bird, and like myself, had a disdain for Chevrolets.  :wink:

He was a kindred spirit, and a good mentor.

The team is going to be leaving for WOS next week, so don't delay.

Chris Conrad

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
I discovered that the form for donations isn't a blank where I could fill out the information - but rather it looks like I'll have to print it and fill it in with pen and ink.  I can send the logo by email, right?  Let me (and us) know, please.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
Chris and Jon, and other potential supporters,

We are not set-up for online payment at this time; yet any donation is greatly appreciated, and we will recognize you on our car.

When you click on - Would you like to sponsor or donate to the EcoTeams? - on the home page or on Donation Form on the lefthand side it links you to a pdf of our brochure, which you need to print-out, then fill out with pen; make check out to Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams and mail it to:

Granite Falls High School
Eco Car Teams
1401  100th Street NE
Granite Falls, WA 98252

if you have stickers please include 2 of them or you can email a logo to me at mwerner@gfalls.wednet.edu

Thank you very much for what you do for us.

Jon, I will personally donate to your website.

Michael

Offline Freud

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »
Marlo Treit, Dick Milne and I went to Granite Falls HS this afternoon to meet with Michael Werner regarding transportation for their car and equipment to WoS.

It's still summer vacation time but Michael was there working with students Tim Wilson and Katie Jackson on their car.

It's no different than any race project: as time draws closer there is still a lot to do.  I'll be posting some fotos soon. It is a project for

all of us to support.  Part of the Target550 team will be there to support their effort.  It's not a speed trial for them. It's a data gathering project

and the USFRA has graciously allowed them to participate.

THANKS USFRA.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:02 AM »
It was great to have Marlo, Dick and Freud out at the shop today, got some good input on little things to make sure we pass tech with flying colors and have many good runs.  As Freud said in his post, we are there to raise awareness for alternative fuel, gather data (lots of data) and make it educational.  Now we figured on paper if we use a 72 tooth rear sprocket and do a ("student slave labor") push start we could get it going and theoretically reach 57mph  :-D

Thank you for your support

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Just got off the phone with Mr. Werner - what an inspirational teacher.  :lol:

They're mid-thrash right now, the students are putting in the time and effort, and Marlo, Dick and Freud have been giving them what I'm sure is solid guidance.

If you're going to make a donation to this effort, I'd encourage you to do so ASAP, as they are unable to accept on-line payments.  You'll need to make out a check and send it snail-mail.  They'll put your name on the car, if you want, but once it's on the trailer, you might be out of luck.

You've got a few days - they haven't painted it, yet.

Go, Granite Falls Eco Teams!

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 12:29:08 AM »
Chris, I truly enjoyed our conversation.  Any contribution is very appreciated, the loading of the trailer is not the cut-off.  We will make sure any sponsor will get their name on the car, even if we have use paint sticks (nice ones I might say) to apply it on the salt.

......lots of work left and lots of little things, yet I can see the car and team photo on the salt already  :-D

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
Tail is on for the first time - yeah  :-D  - now onto wet sanding and painting !

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2011, 12:33:05 AM »
Paint on - tail back on; we did some test drives with a shorter gearing to see if the 4.5 HP accelerates faster; well around the High School it's rather subjective......

T-4 days  :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2011, 01:41:56 AM »
Well done.  Colors are great, tail looks super. 

I know you have overall length issues to deal with, but the tail design itself - was that based on modeling exercises, or an existing design?

If you sit back and squint, it has a profile similar to The Phoenix.

This is going to be fun! :-D

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2011, 12:36:22 AM »
SHE is on her way......... I did have co-Lab-orators though  :-D

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
SHE is on her way......... I did have co-Lab-orators though  :-D

Excellent choice of Lab assistance!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!