Author Topic: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?  (Read 60610 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2012, 12:08:35 AM »
Good to see it moving forward.  2 weeks out - it's thrash time!

Keep us posted and the best of luck again this year.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »
Chris,  yes it's once again overtime....we glued in the last pieces for the Kamm Aero tail modification using Gorilla glue to fill in small gaps in the fit of 1/2" styro foam pieces; 6oz. fiberglass tomorrow - hey the whole thing may even be painted and dry before we go  :-)  aiming at road testing this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:46:10 AM by Schruiber »
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline sabat

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2012, 09:52:04 AM »
Best of luck  :cheers:

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2012, 11:13:49 PM »
Thank you sabat - we can always use some luck.

Today we fitted the Kamm tail for the first time to the car - without paint and on jacks it looks much bigger than it really is - foreground is the ShopGirls car, pretty much ready to test the "reinforced" drive train........and a "make my day" nice message for the Teach (Freud's way of spelling teacher)

Michael
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:24:27 PM by Schruiber »
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2012, 01:07:51 AM »
re the Kamm tail: Seems to be based on the misconception from Detroit where they simply cut off the car where the equipment stops. Forbes Aird in Aerodynamics for Racing and Performance cars explains Dr. Kamm's concept and shows an example. It's copyrighted or I would include it here. Kamm abbreviated the tail where the body section is about half the maximum. Then it's not square, everything is smoothly rounded.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »
wow - 10001 hits on our T-2011 thread; thank you all for your continued interest in our endeavor; needless to say it's been a very interesting "ride" on the fringe of public education, yet we reach a great number of students, expose them to opportunities, get them engaged and show them pathways towards careers. It's very hard learning made fun!

bucketlist - you are right, our Kamm tail is rather square at this stage. The students researched it thoroughly looked at many pictures including the pre-WW2 BMW 328 and the latest VW L1.  Then we had to compromise because we did not want to build a complete new short tail, and not cut our "LSR Long Tail" to the maximum allowable length for the Shell Eco-marathon, although we provided a 2 bulkhead split line to allow for this. Main reason was it still would be heavier than the modified short tail. It also would offset any weight loss gained by using the new Pro Wheel/Michelin set-up.
Our center section gullwing doors did not allow for a gradual reduction from the full cross section to 50% over the rear 55% of the car.  Rounding over the rear section will take more time than we have left before testing (this weekend) and loading the cars to go to Houston, next Thursday.  Remember these are educational projects and there is a lot of learning left in our cars.  We always appreciate forum input as it challenges the kids to continue to be innovative and on the up-and-up. I will buy the book you mentioned

Predictably after Houston with 112 teams fielding 130 cars this year my students will want to build new cars...........stay tuned  :-D

M
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:11:57 PM by Schruiber »

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »
and we invite you to "like" us on Facebook - Granite Falls Eco Car Teams -    there the kids update more frequently.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Granite-Falls-Eco-Car-Teams/120589641370059

Thank you - ShopGirls and UrbanAutos and MrW aka Schruiber
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:51:05 AM by Schruiber »

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
Friday evening it finally ran for the first time since our overhaul / rebuild / modification, and it ran well. Both Hunter and Jasmine drove it around the school house; it was Jasmine's first drive.  In the first photo you see how the gull wing doors limit the length of soft curve we could apply to our modified tail.

Now that it runs there is time to check one other "important" thing - our "Under Glow LED Bling".  Hunter gets a helping hand from our volunteer Bob.

Barely visible through our new Pro-Wheel's are the stainless brake disks - too bad they will be covered by hub caps! Or should we have real Moon's?  :lol:

T minus 10 days 19 hours....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:15:14 PM by Schruiber »

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2012, 05:20:05 PM »
Hey -- I just thought of something and need your mailing address so I can send you an interesting (?) something for the team or the car.  If you don't want to have your mail address visible on the internet - send it to me in a regular email or as a PM here.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »
SSS, Freud is also a contact for them.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
Jon,  pm sent

thank you

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
T-12 hours to load the cars - midnight last night (again)

For the girls's car, Dansil and Katie are making new lighter chain guards from carbon fiber panel that is left over from the Urban Concept car doors.  It's flat panel kerf cut and glued with expanding Gorilla glue, then glassed on the inside for add strength.

Sara in the mean time Sara is running the car over simulated bumps to verify those won't have "the power" to have the chain come off, a problem that happened last year.  Ed our machinist volunteer added the long pole + Swiss flag so the car is seen in the parking lot by regular drivers;  top speed attained was 41mph before they ran out of school parking lot  :-) 

got to go back to work now

M

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
High speed destructive testing - don't you just love this event?  :-D

As always, best of luck to the GF teams.  Be safe, be fuel efficient, and have fun!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
Package sent yesterday.  I realised that this effort means a lot to many of us on landracing.com, so I got sizes for t-shirts - and sent nine or 'em off to the team along with a few bumper stickers for the car and toolboxes or whatever.

I don't give out contributions lightly - since the money is from contributions you folks have sent to me to keep the site going.  In this case I figger  you'd be okay with it -- since it's not likely that a whole bunch of you would up and mail stuff or money to the group.  And anyway -- maybe now we'll see some of the publicity shots with them wearing lr.com t-shirts, and maybe the car will be sporting the stickers.  That'd be some fine publicity for the site, right? :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »
Thank you Jon and LSR-Forum Community - package arrived - sticker applied
Loading everything now  :-D

MrW and UrbanAutos