Author Topic: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?  (Read 60682 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »
A very kool story.   :-D  I sure wish the car could have made a couple more runs, but "just wait til next year." 

Here are some shots from one of the runs...the first one, I think.  It was the afternoon of the 14th.

Micheal, I'll be burning a CD and sending it off very soon...like tomorrow, I hope.

Offline Freud

« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2011, 01:42:59 AM »
Great job Jasmine.

Creativity is very versatile.

Her next creation may involve their car.

Beautiful story Jasmine. You have the feel for Bonneville.

I think Tim has the fever.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
Jasmine, thanks for the story.

Regardles how serious running at Bonneville appears to be, there is still a lot of whimsy involved.  I occasionally need to be reminded of that.

Rest assured, when I return to Bonneville, I will remember to put a squirt gun in my toolbox.

In fact, maybe I'll bring a super soaker.

("Oh, Freud . . . where are you . . .")

:-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
Going to the Granite Falls Railroad Days Parade yesterday......what a change from the salt at Bonneville!   Tim drove the LSR car in the parade, needless to say it is not rain proof = we were in need of Rain-Ex and Anti-Fog.....  ShopGirls' Iron Maiden on the right was trailered, because Sara, our only licensed driver had to take the SAT test - yup, school interferes sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:50:25 AM by Schruiber »
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
These girls will have memories like none other in their lives. What a great story and time in their young lives. They will look forward to the next adventure to the salt and points beyond what most only would think about. Go Girls you did great and to the teacher that is guiding you through this is number one. :-D
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »
It was Tim's nervous breathing that fogged the windshield.

Once he has run 40 MPH he will relax and be able to handle driving through those home town crowds.

He's accustomed to driving in National events.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »
Jasmine, thanks for the story.

Regardles how serious running at Bonneville appears to be, there is still a lot of whimsy involved.  I occasionally need to be reminded of that.

Rest assured, when I return to Bonneville, I will remember to put a squirt gun in my toolbox.

In fact, maybe I'll bring a super soaker.

("Oh, Freud . . . where are you . . .")

:-D

Maybe we can all squirt the brine back across the highway next year? Great story - they are having way toooo much fun!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Freud

« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »
having too much fun....... It's the teachers fault.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »
At the DMV and #005 - now that is fun!
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Freud

« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
Did you bring Jasmine with you?

That would give another driver.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »
Freud - no - all of them will be "legal to drive" this coming year - then we will have 4-5 drivers sharing 2 cars.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2011, 11:43:03 PM »
Hey, Michael -

Well, the team has had time to decompress after WOS, and I expect there has been some progress on the cars for the Shell event.

If you get a chance, drop us an update.

Thanks.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »
Chris,  after the "WOS High" there is now a low, as it has been every year at the beginning of the school year.  Each team, ShopGirls and UrbanAutos has 3-4 new members, which I am very happy about.  getting re-started with the new teams is always a challenge.

The UrbanAutos team wants to use part of the "LSR-Long Tail" to improve the aero at the Shell Eco-marathon - the handicap is that tail is about 25 lbs heavier than the short tail; using the full belly pan makes venting the hot air in the engine compartment a problem to be solved.  In order for both teams to test their improved aero we need to finish the wind tunnel, and at the same time learn more about Solidworks software and the Cosmos component which allows CFD.

Stay tuned......

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2012, 10:56:23 PM »
I know we have been very quiet for some time, yet a lot is going on. Now it is down to 37 days until loading the cars to go to Houston for our 3rd annual Shell Eco-marathon fuel efficiency competition - the Urban Concept car is getting new and much lighter wheels (Pro-Wheel) which will save us about 40 lbs over the Kymco wheels with Pirelli Diabolo tires. To make the most of our weight loss we decided not to use part of the Bonneville long tail, but to improve the current short tail according to "Kamm Tail Aerodynamics". Lot's of mock-up, math and learning in this one; we looked-up cars that have those kind of tails (I once had an Alfa Romeo AlfaSud that had such tail!). The center structure with the gull wing doors do not allow for the ideal adhesion to the Kamm formula, yet it will be as good as the current geometry allows - attached are a couple of photos in progress; a lot of the old body will be cut out, we only keep a skeleton underneath.  Materials used will be a combo of 3/16 foam board, 1/2" styro foam (left over from the LSR long tail) and 2mm uni-directional plywood, all covered with 6 oz. fiberglass, using epoxy resin.

Of course corrosion control after World of Speed was a huge task, we still have some rust and "white powder" aluminum; but it will be gone soon!

Stay tuned...........
Michael

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
Another week has gone by and lots of things came together......

Since we have a new and much lighter set of wheels sponsored by Pro Wheel, we chose to make them interchangeable with our current Kymco wheels - now the new wheel have the Michelin High Mileage tires mounted to run in the Shell Eco-marathon; the Pirellis we will use to run everywhere else including World of Speed later this year again.
The new and also lighter brake discs were designed by the students in SolidWorks with the help of Bob Quarterman our engineer volunteer. then they were laser cut from stainless at one of our Tool and Die Maker volunteer Ed's industry partners by his son.
Students machined new rear alu hubs; the whole rear axle, freewheel and differential were overhauled (it had salt damage) and freshly installed. Because we now run a fully enclosed engine compartment, a fresh air intake for engine made from dryer vent tubing and a cooling air duct made from scratch by using insulation foam for the mold and fiberglass for the part are now in place and ready to be tested.
The Kamm-modified rear body is ready for fiberglass work, putty, sand and paint.
Parallel the ShopGirls car had the drive train "beefed" up to prevent movement that led in the past to dropping the chain!  And best of all we still have one and a half weeks to test and revise ...... yeah but still overtime!

We also had a nice article and photo gallery in our local newspaper - http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20120308/NEWS01/703089906 

M