Author Topic: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?  (Read 60446 times)

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
Re: T-2011 – what’s behind the number?
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »
Friday - Day 4 of T2011 on the salt.  After a very windy (~24 mph no racing) early morning, we used the time to "tuff" the car and pointed into the free wind tunnel blowing :)  some good info was collected; then a few runs, still not the 30++ mph.  Upon checking the front wheel alignment (it was off in a "slowing way" we needed to repair one steering arm, so after lunch Tim with a little help of tail wind got a 31.16668 MPH  :-D; Next we took of the tail to see and compare - about a mile less per hour.  Then we had a great photo session with the largest diesel there; so it's 4 vs. 4000 hp! 

photo from yesterday  -  T2011 and 444 - the caption could read, when I grow up I'll be squeezed smaller and longer......

Evening rain + Mexican food at the truck stop for all 19 people of the T2011 team rounded out the day;  we have 4 more runs on our entry, so tomorrow it's the smallest rear sprocket to try for more speed.

Very tired yet very happy

Michael
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Freud

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »
The foto of Urban Concept and Joint Venture is of another world.

I hope the size of the file is big enough to make a good mural.

Congratulations on a great adventure.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »
Michael, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you and the young humans.  :lol: I'm looking forward to next time. Wayno

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
15 hours 880 miles and a good night sleep later here a few more pictures of the many we took....

Jasmine changing the rear sprocket "up" to a 62 from a 78 - that ratio and higher inflated tires were going to be our Satuday 9-17  33+mph weapon

Part of the many people who made this possible - L to R   Ed Staheli, Nona Larson, Vervia Gabriel, Michael Tuffey and Bob Quarterman

Back to the "class room - class room" tomorrow!
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »
...and a couple more

and my biggest supporter, who "loans" me out to these kind of projects and made sure we all were fed at WOS - my wife Debbie, thank you.
Here she is preparing that yummy tasting Black Bean and Tropical Fruit Salsa (we made sure Tim, the driver had some extra "speed boosting" black beans  :-D )

Final shot -for this year   :cheers:  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:27:42 PM by Schruiber »

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
It was great to see the T-2011 participating and the class in action.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
Michael -

Congratulations on a successful outing.  I expect that while the team was unable to get in as many runs as they had hoped, they've still gathered enough info to further this car for next spring's competition.

This is a new beginning - and while the Bonneville event is now in the rear view mirror, please keep us posted on this build diary as to preparation for the Shell Marathon.

Well played, Urban Concept team.   :-)

T-2012?  :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2011, 11:17:10 PM »
Yes, good job! Let those kids know folks from all over were watching and enjoyed the ride!

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
yes, we are aiming at "T2012".  Indeed a lot of data was gathered, both scientific and flying by the seat of our pants; also a good number of those: why didn't we think of that earlier moments happend.  Our on-board data has yet to be thoroughly analyzed - we got the AIM system just in time to be installed and working - so lots more work over the next couple of weeks to link it up to video/photo and our notes.

We had a great time and everything went beyond what I had hoped for - I had a lot of people help to make this happen.

Thank you LSR community.

Offline Freud

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »
Hey teach...........does the group have to write a paper describing Bonneville?

Everyone wants to know, even if they have been going there for years.

You wouldn't do that would you?   Who would grade them?

Give Deb a few days before u ask her if she's ready to go again.

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:24:35 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »
I am still on "re-entry" mode - here a BIG team photo with many of the folks involved...
Marlo and Dick just dropped-off the car at our school - the kids are getting the salt off....

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »
The secret to their success, plus other photos . . . .
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Freud

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »
Was the center foto at Salt Talks?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
Was the center foto at Salt Talks?

FREUD
Yes. I see me in the middle of the picture.  :cheers: That's the only time all week I wasn't working. Wayno

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2011, 09:27:08 PM »
.....and here a "great read" about Tim Wilson our driver at WOS, written by Jasmine Bates, member on the T2011 team - Enjoy

A Short Story Inspired by the Life of Tim Wilson

There once was a young man named Timmy who liked boats and fish and cars. He didn’t quite know why…those were just his hobbies. Being a young man not yet out of high school didn’t stop Tim from living a vast and colorful life.
Tim’s interest in cars led him to join the Granite Falls High School UrbanAutos Team. Timmy met many interesting people and learned many things, but mostly he worked on the UrbanAutos car, and Urban Concept car built for a fuel mileage competition for high schools and colleges called the Shell Eco-Marathon. When the UrbanAutos first participated their car was overweight and they were not able to compete, but the next year they gave the competition a run for their money. The team left with a new Americas record for Urban Concept Diesel, 186.5 mpg. But the Shell Eco-Marathon wasn’t all the UrbanAutos did, after setting their record they travelled to the Salt Flats in Bonneville, Utah to test their car in different conditions at the annual World of Speed event. They didn’t go as fast as the other cars (not even close) but it was a learning experience and they missed four days of school

---So far this story is factual, but soon it will become much less so.---

On the team’s last day on the Salt Flats it rained rather a lot and the Flats were suddenly transformed into a giant puddle. Tim, being the driver of the car, was not very happy. So what did Tim do? He pulled out his squirt gun and began to pump the water off the Salt. At first his friends laughed at him, Timmy always was a silly boy. But soon their snickers turned to cheers as Tim squirted the water clear over the mountains. A crowd began to gather, and soon other racers wielded their squirt guns and marched out onto the fast drying salt. The mob of squirt gunners grew so large it looked like it was raining backwards. Just as the sun began to rise over the Salt Timmy launched the last drops of water over the mountain. Now Timmy was no longer just a boy who liked boats and fish and cars, he was a legend, a hero to be remembered in racing circles for years to come.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:53:12 PM by Schruiber »