Author Topic: gussets  (Read 18496 times)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: gussets
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Just got the new rule book. I think that the SCTA ( Kiwi Steve ) has done a great job of showing the gusset requirement locations with some new drawings of roll cage styles. They appear to have been taken directly from the SFI specs used by NHRA.

Good Job in improving communications!
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »

Even back then I would look at a cage I would see how the whole thing looked and what additional bars were added for it's integrity.

Great point JD.  You really can't isolate any single component in a cage and treat it like it's the only thing there.  The cage is a system and you have to look at the whole system to see what it's going to do in an impact.

My apologizes for excessive beef hauling but I really don't appreciate the constant ribbing and insults that are directed at our association or the staff of volunteers that run it.  

But back to what I said before, I'd certainly be on board with anyone that wants to send through a proposed rule change with guidelines on how tubular gussets should be constructed.

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline JoshH

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
Nathan, I hope your ‘ribbing’ comment wasn’t directed at me. My comment was meant to illustrate the issue may not be as simple as the rule book may suggest, but the tech guys handle construction issues well case by case.

Anyway, I’ve looked at a quiet a few cars lately with tubular gussets and it looks like the consensus is a minimum of 1”x.120 tubing and I think dimensions should be 4” per side minimum. Similar to plate dimensions. If such a configuration was deemed inappropriate for a particular car due to adjacent tubing sizes/shape, or other craftsmanship issues plates can be added to either side (to close the triangle) to add additional strength.

I have limited experience with door cars, my focus is special construction. I can submit for rule change if this makes sense.

Josh
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:09:22 PM by JoshH »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »
Nathan, I hope your ‘ribbing’ comment wasn’t directed at me.

T'wasn't.  :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »
Actually, my reply meant mainly in jest has some merit.  When the "triangle" is closed off completely, let alone you can't see the welds, but you can capture moisture and debris (salt) which can compromise the juncture.

Pretty technical for . . .

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records