Author Topic: gussets  (Read 18493 times)

Offline jww36

Re: gussets
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »

I guess Kiwi Steve has never seen a professionally built frame.

Hard to tell if you're really this ignorant or just being facetious.  

There's certainly a reason why plate gussets are welded on the outside of the joint.  Same reason why you probably wouldn't want a small diameter gusset tube welded nearly perpendicular to the center of a main roll cage tube.  If the tube gusset isn't the same od as the main tubes it's bracing it should be offset to the outside plane of the junction.  If it's going to be center mounted then it should be the same od as the main tubes.

Well I guess you and Kiwi Steve haven't seen a pro-built chassis, or know more about chassis building than Chris Alstons
Chassis works.
  No one is saying to mount a smaller diameter tube [ours is 11/4''] perpendicular but diagonal which is not close to perpendicular.

JL222

I don't understand why individuals can't discuss a topic on this great website without someone (JL222) attacking someones opinion or the very volenteers that make this sport happen. This guy is a trouble maker. I had issue with him last week on another blog. For a newbie like myself who NEEDS information from veteran land speed racers to build a car, or help with  car set up, safety, etc, it is fantastic to have Landracing.com. But to be honest with you, I'm tired of these individuals who seem to have nothing better to do then make derogatory comments about other peoples opinions!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:17:22 AM by jww36 »

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
boy, i didn't mean to start sh$t here. i was just asking a question. :? :? :?
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »
It is no wonder that so many good informed people do not spend any time here in forums.
Years back, someone mentioned that you get what you pay for on forums.

Like anything else, it is up to you to control yourself and either contribute to the discussion or destroy it.

While I don't agree with the gusset rule, I choose to comply and participate. It is nothing that a grinder, welder and some paint cannot fix or change.

Oh, and by the way, Kudos to Nathan and all who post their names publically, not hiding when opinion is not popular.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »
reading along on this thread it seem the bottom line is . If you want to play in SCTA's yard you play there RULES. If NHRA is your bag do it by there RULES. If someone else is doing the work for you give them the specs so they get it right. No problemo. Or change the rules to suit the few who don't wish to comply. Then again you might try starting your own organization to which you could be the volunteer. good luck with the two of those. Just my thoughts on what seems a simple means end the bickering  :-D
                                  Jack
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
reading along on this thread it seem the bottom line is . If you want to play in SCTA's yard you play there RULES. If NHRA is your bag do it by there RULES. If someone else is doing the work for you give them the specs so they get it right. No problemo. Or change the rules to suit the few who don't wish to comply. Then again you might try starting your own organization to which you could be the volunteer. good luck with the two of those. Just my thoughts on what seems a simple means end the bickering  :-D
                                  Jack
so to whom is this comment directed? not me i hope, i was just asking a simple question. i myself have no problem complying to SCTA rules. i just want to make sure i am all legal once i get to tech. :-D :-D :-D
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 05:58:55 PM »
I have said many times as has DW that if you are running a SCTA/BNI venue and you are not clear of the issue or rule you should go to the SCTA web site and submit your question to the rules and regulations section. Get your official answers in writing from the tech. people. Take it with you to the event with your log book.Take pictures,

Answers on this site are not official as there are no board members on here. General answers can be answered by quoting the section in the rule book. But if you are still not sure see above.

By the way JL222 is not a board member as far as I know.

Lets try to keep this site on the right track and for guidance to the issues.

The rule book has the names and phone numbers for the committees to help you out.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
The comment was to the ones who would like to change the rules to suit themselves. As there are photos showing variations I can understand why you would ask. Rule 3.B.1 in the last paragraph covers deviation requests. I think if you were to request a deviation to apply to your application you will get an answer without personel opinion. Then[ as Glenn says ] you can go thru tech with no problem as the deviation has been verified.  Jack
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline racergeo

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
     As far as anyone ruffling your feathers, simply hit the ignore button. Problem solved. I always do that when SSS requests $. LOL

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
I have said many times as has DW that if you are running a SCTA/BNI venue and you are not clear of the issue or rule you should go to the SCTA web site and submit your question to the rules and regulations section. Get your official answers in writing from the tech. people. Take it with you to the event with your log book.Take pictures,

Answers on this site are not official as there are no board members on here. General answers can be answered by quoting the section in the rule book. But if you are still not sure see above.

By the way JL222 is not a board member as far as I know.

Lets try to keep this site on the right track and for guidance to the issues.

The rule book has the names and phone numbers for the committees to help you out.
got it :-) :-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
Racergeo:

OOOWWWCHHHH! :cry:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
Slim...Racergeo said "requests"...Not "Posts".............Zzzzzing :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 02:16:30 AM »
Are you saying that SCTA roll bar specs are better than NHRA? Maybe I should cut out half my roll bars and funny car cage.

I think what I'm saying is pretty clear but just to be crystal clear, no, that's not what I'm saying.  The specs are different and they're different for a reason.

You guys really do think you know more :roll:

Yup, I'm pretty sure that the SCTA head tech and all the SCTA tech inspectors do know more about the unique characteristics of land speed racing than the NHRA guys do.  I'm also willing to bet that the NHRA guys know more about quarter miler stuff than us land speed racers know.  After all, they are two completely different types of racing that take place in entirely different environments.

And you call me ignorant. Look up Chris Alston Chassisworks and there 8.90 sec chassis and compare.

Based on your first comment, I could have only presumed that you're either ignorant or that you were being facetious (which is exactly what I said).  Saying that Steve hasn't seen a pro-built cage before is pretty ignorant considering that he's a chassis builder.  It's what he does for a living!  If you didn't know that, well, now you do.  And if you did know that, then you were being facetious which seems to be your MO.

If you came to El Mirage more than once a year you might have a chance to check out some of his stuff.  I know your Alstons #1 fan but I think you'd be impressed with Kiwi's work.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 07:55:44 AM »
Okay, so -- yesterday was the end of the peeing contest, right, and now we're going to talk about gussets ONLY, right?  And if you have some personal beef to haul -- you'll do it using PM and emails back and forth, not out here where we can all see and be bummed out by them, right?

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
After the flat plate stitch rule was enacted on shoulder type roll cages I could never see why so many thought they or their builder new best and never asked for other allowances and just put them in as requested.

Even back then I would look at a cage I would see how the whole thing looked and what additional bars were added for it's integrity. If I had questions I would ask the chief inspector for his comments or recommendations for the participant. Since we did not have cookie cutter cars each one was usually taken on it's own merit and deemed safe for the competitor or we asked for them to make additions.

We never had a forum like this back then or did we have so many competitors/builders who came from different venue's an really didn't read the book in it's entirety and just did what they always did from where they came from. All this was unfortunate for some causing many lessons for all of us.

I hope ruffelled feathers lay back down........................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JoshH

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
To expand on jimmy six’s point.

I think a major source of all the confusion is the rule book isn’t consistent with how this is handled by the SCTA tech guys. A while back there was a thread of a tech guy suggesting a rule change so its consistent with how the rule is actually applied; I believe this falls into the same category.

The one issue here is the uniqueness of the cars that run in this group is so different that the intent of the rule may need to be applied differently depending on different chassis construction. Hence the wide variation of allowable cage gussets out there.

Josh