Author Topic: gussets  (Read 18495 times)

Offline jww36

Re: gussets
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
Roll cage gussets
I don`t see those passing tech. The "open area" at the tube intersection is required.
floydjer;
These gussets were approved by both Lee Kennedy and Steve Davies.

Model T Steve

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »
How did Kiwi and Lee see the weld under the gusset?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »
Good question.

I'm so dumb, I thought it was a water collection issue.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jww36

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
How did Kiwi and Lee see the weld under the gusset?
This is a good question. Answer - They used a little common sense. If the other 1,000 tig welds not covered by gussets looked good, the two tig welds covered by gussets would probably be the same. :cheers:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
[quote author=jl222 link=topic=9291.msg151802#msg151802 date=1297787388

Well I guess you and Kiwi Steve haven't seen a pro-built chassis, or know more about chassis building than Chris Alstons
Chassis works.
[/quote]

Maybe Alston can come do a crash recovery with us sometime.  I think he'd be surprised to see how big of a difference there really is between 1/4" mile NHRA wrecks and what happens to our guys on the dirt/salt.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline jl222

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

Well I guess you and Kiwi Steve haven't seen a pro-built chassis, or know more about chassis building than Chris Alstons
Chassis works.

Maybe Alston can come do a crash recovery with us sometime.  I think he'd be surprised to see how big of a difference there really is between 1/4" mile NHRA wrecks and what happens to our guys on the dirt/salt.
[/quote]

Maybe you can give a stress analyst on tabs verses diagonals and do you think that there is a difference in wrecks because of pro built and NHRA specs verses amateur built.
  Are you saying that SCTA roll bar specs are better than NHRA? Maybe I should cut out half my roll bars and funny car cage.
  You guys really do think you know more :roll:

JL222

And you call me ignorant. Look up Chris Alston Chassisworks and there 8.90 sec chassis and compare.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:12:19 PM by jl222 »

Offline dw230

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »
John,

Please remove me from your list of knowable officials:

"You guys really do think you know more"

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 09:21:30 PM »
John,

Please remove me from your list of knowable officials:

"You guys really do think you know more"

DW

Dan I was refering to Steve and Nathan on roll cages and diagonals and Nathan inplying that Alston could learn about crashes at bonneville. When Nathen should be learning from him.

JL222
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:25:52 PM by jl222 »

Model T Steve

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
It looks to me like you have an expensive chassis built by someone who doesn't know our rules of chose to ignore them. The good news is you realized early in the build that you had a problem and are doing something about it. I hope you have copies of the emails from Steve and Lee in your build book so the inspectors in "new car inspection" can see them. It would have been a lot easier if the car had been built to our rules. What is going to happen if you get in "record impound" and the car is protested for illegal streamlining?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »

Chassis works.

Maybe Alston can come do a crash recovery with us sometime.  I think he'd be surprised to see how big of a difference there really is between 1/4" mile NHRA wrecks and what happens to our guys on the dirt/salt.
[/quote]

I'll bite, what is the difference?

Offline desotoman

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:31 AM »
Stop this Bull Shit, and drop your EGO's.

It is the surface we race on. And you know it. It's not all about Bonneville, it's also about the dirt. The dirt rips stuff off because it digs in. That is why the gussets were required in the first place. Miller's lakester years ago was the reason, when the cage was ripped off from digging into the dirt.  How soon we forget. You cannot compare Drag Race Chassis to Bonneville or El Mirage as they are three completely different surfaces. This post is getting way off topic.

If you are happy with your alston chassis so be it, it is your butt in the car,  but it is not the only way to skin a cat. Drag Race cars skid on the surface of the concrete or asphalt, which is a far cry from dirt.  In Rodney Kings words "Can't we all just get along."

Tom G.   

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 01:58:03 AM »

Let's all be SCTA yes men and get along :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 02:34:17 AM »
Thanks Tom, I didn't know that was an ego question?  I was thinking more in the lines of impact and objects at a strip, but if you want to go in that direction so be it. :evil:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:40:43 AM by bvillercr »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 09:34:16 AM »
JON,  once again  :? ---some  racers with perceived past wrongs  :? have antagonised some of our BEST RESOURCES, knowledgeable SCTA volunteers who are bringing so much to this site---maybe it time to revisit the THINGS of ghosts of FR past :evil: am I juiced on caffeine this morning  yes, am I upset and disappointed with some of my fellow racers yes

I for ONE do not want to loose Dan and Nathans voluntary input for an extended period again--- 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »
Sparky, I agree, Dan and Nathan have been a great help to me here and on the HAMB. Thanks guys! :cheers: