Author Topic: lexan windshield  (Read 3238 times)

DocBeech

lexan windshield
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:17:06 AM »
With all this nonsense talk on windshield rules I was thinking about a simple solution. My only real question though is whats the SCTA min thickness for a lexan windshield. The SCCA requires 6mm or 1/4" what is the requirements for the SCTA? Also the SCCA is fine with glued in, does the SCTA require it to be riveted to a frame?

I will probably be doing a 6 piece replacement with lexan from speed glass, and they explained its just as strong but much safer. I have never ran side piece lexan so on a roll down window I would believe it would flex in the wind?

Thanks!

Offline krusty

Re: lexan windshield
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »
http://www.scta-bni.org/Rulebook/2011%20Rulebook%20Changes.pdf   doesn't specify thickness or mounting method. 1/4" for a windshield sounds good to me. I would (and have) attach the windshield to the stock bed with 10/32 or 1/4" countersunk allen bolts with washers and nylok nuts on the backside. "gluing" isn't going to keep that thing in safely, IMHO.  Don't forget the retaining tabs and/or straps required by 3.U.

Your characterization of the discussion of the rules as "nonsense talk" might reflect the nature of discussions on message boards, but may be offensive to those who take safety seriously.      vic

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
The rule is only for non-lamanated glass, thus you do not need to replace "most" windshields. You're right the SCTA doesn't tell you how to build your car, but I wound not consider "glue" as an option, we're not the SCCA. There is a reason for this and many other rules even if you can't always see the reason for it.

And remember in many classes if the window glass is not flush mounted you can't alter that position.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
I just received some rulebook updates from Dan Warner, and one of them mentions Lexan windows, so I'd suggest you sneak a peek at the home page soon to see how it might modify your thinking.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
Aw, heck, I might as well put it here, too:

3.U          WINDOWS AND WINDSHIELDS:
All non-stock windows and windshields shall be made of shatter-resistant plastic, such as polycarbonate (Lexan), and shall provide 120 degrees of adequate vision forward. On all open body cars a windshield is recommended, but shall not restrict driver entrance or exit. In all classes where a headrest fairing is permitted, the windshield may sweep around the driver’s head and connect to the fairing on either side (see 3.E Driver’s Compartment rule concerning sharp edges).
All windshield wiper blades and arms shall be removed. On front and rear windows, retaining tabs or straps are required over 175 MPH.
Vehicles with T-Tops or moon roof panels shall have the panels retained with tabs or straps.
All vehicles over 250 MPH shall replace all non-laminated safety glass windows with polycarbonate material. All other glass, such as headlights, must be covered with SAFETY film.
Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles in classes where the record exceeds 200 MPH must have all non-laminated safety glass windows replaced with polycarbonate material.
Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles with “frameless” side windows, regardless of speed, must have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material.
Additional bracing must be installed to prevent window blowout or collapse.

Added from 2010 rulebook, in effect for 2011:

All Vehicles shall have all non-laminated safety glass windows with safety film ON BOTH SIDES, or replace the windows with polycarbonate material.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »
And for everyone who does not understand the reason for this, let me explain..... a car spins- wind gets into the car from directions that it was not meant to be travelling at speeds in excess of 200 mph- the rear and/or side windows get blown out of the car-the windows shatter- into tiny little pieces......40 to 100 or so people comb the mile or so of the track looking for little prismatic reflections of light from shards of glass and, hopefully, pick it ALL up.... sometimes they miss a few.... and then the next car down the track finds it.... and a tire gets cut..... it happened to me in 1990- right after Mike /Cook spun his 'Bird and lost his rear window......

and I forgot to mention the dozen or so suited up drivers waiting in their cars for an hour or two..... this rule has been a long time in coming....

and interestingly.... my parents(rest their souls) were in a picture in Popular Hotrodding or CarCraft or Hotrod magazine in 1970 because they were helping pick up glass from a car that spun and lost a rear window.....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.