Author Topic: The Facility Search....  (Read 19423 times)

Offline MIKE MATY

ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: The Facility Search....
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »
Very noice  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 07:15:06 PM »
Good article showing the best side of the ECTA. Hope it helps in gaining a new facility.

Pete

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 11:05:22 PM »
Thanks for the link Mike.

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Searchers, (Hope this helps, I don't pay attention real well sometimes . . . )

Follows is a quote from Car & Driver magazine, Feb 2008 written by Larry Websterin the 0-200-0 write up:

"So we rented an 11,800ft airstrip in Ocsoda, MI, that had once been part of the Wrutsmith USAF base."

There are your clues, go for it!  or is it "Geturdone?"

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=wurtsmith+air+force+base+oscoda+mi&aq=2&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c7c40ca34444791f 
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline Geo

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
I noticed in yesterday's CART St. Petersburg, FL race they were using the runways of an active airport.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
Sorry, but Wurtsmith AFB has been mentioned - and explored - and discovered to be "not available" at least a couple of times, including once during the present search for a place (since the ECTA heard the news about Gryphon).  Thanks for trying, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Worlds Fastest Comanche

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »

Anybody thought about building a facility?   Oh i forgot, Land speed racers generally don't have that kind of cash.   Well maybe maybe if your name is Poteet you may have the ability to raise the kind of money necessary.   

It is clear that a facility appropriate for our use would also be useful for other purposes, such as driver training, safety training,  Security training, general automotive testing, Drag racing, and probably a few other thing I haven't thought about.   Perhaps states would be interested in training highway construction workers in proper safety procedures in a controlled environment.

Existing tracks rent out time, here is an example http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/June-Track-Time-Events/  Some of the prices are $450 per weekend.   Would such an enterprise be Viable?   Since it would probably be a corporation, it would be possible to actually loose control of the facility after it was developed.   LSR would not bring in the majority of the income. 

I did hear about something years ago, i think it was in Texas.  Owners of Sports cars would purchase shares to build a track, they would then be entilted to use the track for a reduced price and jump ahead of the non members for track use.  I have heard of country clubs having similar arrangements.   

Perhaps a better idea would be to take an existing facility and improve it, for example, add a  2 mile strip next to an existing drag strip.   Pit facilities would already be in pace, and you could probably run Real Street classes every week.   It might actually improve the number of people interested in the sport.

This is really just brainstorming,  It would be great to have control of a facility and not be at the whims of some government official or property owner.
Peter Lechtanski
The Worlds Fastest Comanche Project

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »
How about an LSR community? 100 houses and a community center with a dyno or a wind tunnel. Sell the houses for a good price and set the whole thing up along a 3 mile roadway. Just a dream :cheers:
Thank you to all the volunteers

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
How about an LSR community? 100 houses and a community center with a dyno or a wind tunnel. Sell the houses for a good price and set the whole thing up along a 3 mile roadway. Just a dream :cheers:

They do have aircraft communities like that.
Peter Lechtanski

Offline bak189

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »
Many moon's ago, we used to test run some of our LSR equipment on a long straight road out of
Tecate Mex.......it was perfectly straight, and level for about 6 miles.....it ran for about 8 miles and was
basically a dead end.....except for a orphanage at the end......great place to test.  However, with the problems they are having on the border I have not been back for a long while......hopefully, it will all
get better in the future.......We also used to roadrace our sidecars in  La Carrera, in fact Larry Coleman
and Mike Taylor (passenger) ran an average speed of 98mph for a 125 mile long road race beating all the cars and bikes except for a couple of Porsches. Mexico has always been very friendly toward racers......just hope they can get their drug wars somewhat under control.
Question authority.....always

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
I sure hope there wasn't a connection between the orphanage and incidents on that road!  Sounds like bad mojo to me.

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2011, 09:42:23 AM »

Maybe the Consumer reports facility could be used.    It is in Connecticut, at least it is still east coast.   Don't know if they have a 2 mile straight or not.   Here is a link   http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/how-we-test/introduction/how-we-test-introduction.htm
Peter Lechtanski

Offline CTRon

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
That consumer reports place wouldnt work. It used to be connecticut dragway. The 1/4 mile is still there but they built a road course attached to it. Nothing long enough an the people in the neighborhood would all cry like bitches anyway....
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »
Don't worry.  When I hit the Lottery I'll build us a track in (near) Wilmington, NC.  Beautiful area and the weather is similar to Maxton, so we're used to it.

Hey, we DO buy tickets..........

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer