Author Topic: The Facility Search....  (Read 19416 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: The Facility Search....
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »
Found another old ECTA newsletter with similar issues when Spence Field became not available.  Suggestions that currently might be possible include Cecil Field NAS, Jacksonville, BRAC abandoned in 1999 and currently with industrial/community use but non military. Recent comment suggested someone wanted start a flying school so presume runways still there. A real possible. 12000 ft.

Second is the Oklahoma "space port" 15000 ft.    http://www.thespacereview.com/article/157/1  Burns Flat near Clinton, OK. Getting a bit far from "east coast) but worth some looking into.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Tman

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 01:34:42 PM »
Tman,  That site was interesting and fun but not much on there that fits the requirements from what I scanned.  The other links show promise for options those in MS and further on out west though.

Roadracer,  Brunswick does have the outstanding feature of being down the road from the lobster feast in Popham Beach and also has a great fried oyster joint just across from the north end of the runway; unfortunately, it doesn't look like the runways are long enough.

I know, but thought I would throw it out there, the more eyes on this thing the better. I applaud the ECTA for all its accomplished so far!

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »
Found another old ECTA newsletter with similar issues when Spence Field became not available.  Suggestions that currently might be possible include Cecil Field NAS, Jacksonville, BRAC abandoned in 1999 and currently with industrial/community use but non military. Recent comment suggested someone wanted start a flying school so presume runways still there. A real possible. 12000 ft.

Second is the Oklahoma "space port" 15000 ft.    http://www.thespacereview.com/article/157/1  Burns Flat near Clinton, OK. Getting a bit far from "east coast) but worth some looking into.
I would love to be able to race at Cecil Field.  I spent many days there in the Navy.  Last I heard the Coast Guard and DEA were flying intervention flights from there.  Lots of runway there and easy access to the place.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »
Cecil field is a great runway... unfortunately it's ACTIVE.... and that prevents our use...

( I did talk to them and the State of Florida Aviation folks )( they recommended Dade County as well... )
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »
Have the manufacturer Proving Grounds been considered? I already know the Honda Track here in Ohio is off limits (Buckeye Bullet Driver Works there) but maybe one in Michigan is more open?
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
I spent a lot of time talking to Roger at the Honda track ( buckeye bullet driver).. he was great...  He pointed out that the track wasn't a good fit but mentioned some folks who knew some folks...

SO he opened some doors and we walked through them....don't know what the outcome of that will be long term.... but we're looking at another testing facility...

K
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:31:09 AM by KeithTurk »
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline wheels777

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »
I spent a lot of time ...             .... but we're looking ...

K
I love ya' man!  Thank you
#9270 - 1954 Studebaker

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 04:24:40 AM »
Keith, Joe and all of ECTA.

Wish I could be of help to you but the UK is a bit too far for East Coast racers to travel.  I know exactly what effort you are having to put in on this facility hunt ...... over here in England we have a much smaller ground search area :-D.

Having worked for over three years to get a blue boat onto Coniston Water (to exceed 10mph) with support from the controlling bodies, I urge the ECTA membership to be patient whenever you get involved with political bodies.

The Monster Mile form of our speed sport is a great way to enjoy a weekend.  I feel sure that the right team is working on the project and that John B is looking down on us all to ensure that a new facility is found.

Malcolm, Derby, England
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Is the blue boat Blue Bird?
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
Excuse us a moment Keith & Co.,

The boat is Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7 as recovered from plus 40 metres of Coniston Water and being reconstructed using the material recovered from the bottom of the lake in 2001.  www.bluebirdproject.com

Malcolm, Derby, England

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »
I have been following that effort a bit and love the documentary videos.  Did I miss the run or are you still working on permissions?  I was thinking about crossing the pond for that event if possible.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
Information on Bluebird K7 in the non lsr section of the forum.  Done today, just so Keith and joe get their thread back and SSS does not have to moderate incorrect postings.  Malcolm.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 02:41:32 PM »
The project has been a greeat insperation to me . The work that has been done and the effort and skill is truly amazing. It is truly a fantastic thing for Great Britin.  The Campbell family and the rest of man kind thanks you for this. I will make a point of going to see Blue Bird in person one day
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline regal7point5

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »
This might be a dumb question, and I don't know the logistics/laws but I'll throw it out there...

Are we limiting this to airports only?  What about roads, like they use at the Sandhills ORC?  They do a mile shootout...and not all the entrants are street legal cars.  I am sure the layout of airports are much more desireable as they have "return" roads, instead of having to find a series of roads in the middle of nowhere that could be used as a race surface and "return" road.  Any thoughts?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »
I10 in west Texas would be great... just have to figure out how to shut it down for a run  :roll:

Back in my youth, we used to race on the roads that were built to take missiles to silos around Kansas, unfortunately most of those were not maintained for the last 40 years
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O