Author Topic: The Facility Search....  (Read 19411 times)

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
The Facility Search....
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
First notice I didn't call it the Un-used runway search...  it's a search for a new home.... temporary or permanent...  a place with 2+ miles of hard surface that is smooth and doesn't require repairs to be usable.... ( we have already done repairs to a facility we can't use at will )....

Basically any Airport that is currently being used as an airport is TOUGH to get into.... Unless it has more then one runway and the long runway in question isn't being used currently.... ( it's often the case that due to Maintenance costs airports will close Long runways).....   If they have 2 runways they can't cross.... they must be parallel or arranged in a triangle....

A really wide two lane road with a return lane would work too...  it would have to be virutually dead flat and have no drainage ditches beside it.... ( not that maxton has the best off course area's ).....    

The Single crowning requirement it has to have a community that WANTS us to be there..... ( Maxton and Laurninburg both want us to be there... but they need to make money to keep the airport alive so... ultimately they signed the contract )

I'm away from my computer most days....  so here's my contact information

KeithTurk@hotmail.com
334 763 6566
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:56:15 PM by KeithTurk »
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: The Facility Search....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
One additional note:
Thank you for all the input, it DOES help. We are doing the research on various locations now. Please refrain from calling the airports for us.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
I noticed up above that Land Speed Louise is giving a presentation to the Air Force Academy on March 15th.  It probably wouldn't hurt the cause if she mentioned the ECTA facility Search expecially if she is already including any content on Maxton and Loring.  I am going to contact her regarding my carrying the logos for the A-12/SR-71 pilots so she can let the AF guys know that a few of their friends are represented in the sport.  I'll leave the facility search content up to you guys though!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »
I'm not up to snuff in searching with Google maps or those search methods -- but there was a Bomarc missle base in Raco, Michigan, way back when -- and I think the concrete is still there.  Raco is in the U P, maybe 40 miles west of the Soo (Sault Ste. Marie for those of you not from up here).  I think the runways are too short -- 6,000 feet comes to mind, I'm not sure why), and I think there were three of them in a triangle.  I know that when I used to drive the medical waste route I'd pass there weekly and would once in a great while see signs of testing automobile stuff and like that -- but only once in a while.  Maybe it's still there, and maybe the 6,000 number is way off.  Somebody wanna check?  It's on the south side of the highway -- M-28, and the area is flatter than a pancake and forested by jack pine and that's all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jreken

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 07:56:28 PM »
Jon-

It's still there but way too short. Looks to be only 6000' on each of the three sides. Would make a unique drag strip!!

John

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »
Municipal airport @ Salina, Kansas, the former Schilling/Smoke Hill AFB, closed in 65, several runways, longest 12,300'.  Looks like limited commercial/civilian traffic not needing longer than the 6000' strips. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:13:22 PM »
Strip must be 10000' unless it has over runs that make it that long...  9000 is tough but do-able... just not appealing...

Hey Joe... thanks for adding that...    I should have pointed that out....  some of the facility s have heard from 10 well meaning folks already....

I've started compiling a list already....  ( thanks to you guys for the info )
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:34:59 PM by KeithTurk »
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:51:37 AM »
Wilmington Ohio Airpark is over 10,000 feet. Sean Roberts, another local guy ask to take the lead on this proposal and has found the Clinton County Port Authority to be "slow to respond" so the effort appears to be on hold. I did not read Seans written proposal but maybe this new situation with Maxton could add credibility to the proposal?? I will ask Sean if he thinks that direct support from ECTA would help and of course if you agree to this support.

BHarmon

Offline 106mm

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »
Everyone,
     A "slow" response from city officials in Wilmington should not be taken as a bad sign. It is merely the speed at which politics typically move. Port Authority meetings don't happen very often. Patience is required. My progress has not slowed and I am in no way disappointed with the tempo of interaction.
     WWW.WILMINGTONMILE.COM has been steadily logging comments from interested parties and a forum will be in place at the site after these comments are compiled. Soon, the people of Wilmington will be able to see firsthand the level of support among the LSR community.
     I am not promising, nor should anyone expect, a race by a specific date. There is a cadence and flow to these things. The well-meaning souls who contact the city on their own may complicate our efforts. That would be unfortunate.
     Until further notice, please know that things are progressing according to plan. I do not give up and I do not lose.

Offline aircap

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »
Municipal airport @ Salina, Kansas, the former Schilling/Smoke Hill AFB, closed in 65, several runways, longest 12,300'. 

Any Kansas native can tell you the wind blows here 9 days out of 10, and we don't even notice the breeze until it's over 20MPH.'
Kansas weather is NOT land speed friendly.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline entropy

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 12:56:35 AM »
Until further notice, please know that things are progressing according to plan. I do not give up and I do not lose.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
There was some talk about the former Naval Air Station in Brunswick, ME on the forum last year.  The Navy had recently paved the runways before they sent the P-3's to Jacksonville for the base closure.   
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Plan B

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 11:17:27 AM »
106mm --- Well stated, well done.

"The wheels of justice grind very slowly" ..... abbreviated version of an ancient quote - somewhat applicable here.

Patiently standing by .............

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
Dunno if I posted this on the other thread?

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

If anything a fun site for abandoned airfields.

Found this thread in a search as well.

http://forums.radioreference.com/aircraft-monitoring-forum/16086-really-long-runways.html

And for giggles, looks like Zimbabwe has an option :-D

http://www.simtours.net/longestrunways.php
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:56:49 AM by Tman »

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
Tman,  That site was interesting and fun but not much on there that fits the requirements from what I scanned.  The other links show promise for options those in MS and further on out west though.

Roadracer,  Brunswick does have the outstanding feature of being down the road from the lobster feast in Popham Beach and also has a great fried oyster joint just across from the north end of the runway; unfortunately, it doesn't look like the runways are long enough.