Author Topic: Is it a V8 or a twin 4???  (Read 7205 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Is it a V8 or a twin 4???
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
And they work. If anybody can make this work it is Rick!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
Lots of interesting comments.... I was always thinking that with a "common crankcase" it would be a single engine regardless of how many crankshafts it had,
but would like to hear more
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 04:51:40 PM »
At this time it's in a 'Liner so who cares? And you can point to other instances of current cars that are not liners that have two crankshafts built at the factory in a common crankcase. So you have a point. Still, some may remain upset by the tag engine, and be biased against more "Fine Reading" of the rules. And you may not want to upset anyone else who is currently using a two crank motor by pointing them out. So we are back to "It's a 'liner. Who cares?

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
I asked around the officials in impound (re Modified Sports) what constituted a "single engine" in this very context.

I was told by all but 1 that it had to have a common crankcase (or at least appear to, a single oil pan was suggested to help that appearance by more than 1 person).

No bolting 2 engines together in MS. :( ;)

You will notice I didn't mention any names of officials.

I shall not, if that sort of info impacts your racing effort, you need to get it direct from the people that get to make that call.

FWIW the individual that said different was quoting the older rule about no motorcycle engines in cars and no "hand built" engines in cars (the way it was put to me it had to be a production engine, in anything but a streamliner, makes me wonder how a Keith Black qualifies :confused:).

Said individual wasn't working impound though.

I remember that rule being listed as changed on the rules page on SCTA-BNI, be interesting to see what is in print when my '11 rulebook gets here. :D
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik