Author Topic: Modified Pickup Question  (Read 14851 times)

Offline fastman614

Re: Modified Pickup Question
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
All I can say to that would be that the records are pretty stiff in Altered class too!.....Same Monza and OUR Vega- depending on which class of Altered...

Now, don't get me wrong... the Vega has similar D/C numbers as a pre '82 Camaro with about 65% of the frontal area..... the Vegas and Monzas are probably two of the best CLASSIC coupe bodies available to run in the category.... it is just that the Cohns are running a pretty stout SB2 (and it's probably a SB2.2) and we are running a GM Big Chief.... about 840hp and 1000hp respectively.... we know we have several more mph in our combo.... Cohns probably do as well....

BTW, Rich.... is your Vega still legal for gas coupe?.... like.... does it have stock floor and "frame"? The pic you posted does not show the car as being as extensively modified body- (and front nose especially)-wise as ours is.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
looking again at the pic though.... you have what appears to be SOME engine setback..... like - at least 10%.... the lack of engine setback and the presence of the stock "frame" is what allows Cohns to go back and forth to and from production, gas coupe and altered

Offline RichFox

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:16 PM »
Set back in Vega. Not legal for Gas Coup.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
Rich.... the picture answers it all.... "nope!"....

Bitchin' motor though!.... that, to me is a "put under a glass coffee table top in my living room" type of motor!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
$10,000 and you can do what ever you want with the whole thing. Chump change.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 11:13:42 PM »
well, zenndog, there you have it.... about $3000 worth of wheels and tires there the 30 inchers on the back and the (what are they-24s on the front).... if you can get someone to part with them... a way cool motor that would look good in your rec room and everything else you need to go racing..... know what it takes to build a car .... there is probably some real good value here....

Offline zenndog

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 01:38:22 AM »
Speechless :-o, now my head is really spinning. I am going to bed, now I have some calls to make tomorrow aannd I have to change the timing chain in my Toyota PU this weekend. shheeeesh.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 01:55:28 AM »
Rich- I think you mentioned that you were working on a modified PU, I would help you work on your truck if your serious. I am in Santa Cruz and usually have weekends free. By the way, I have a Studebaker 259 V8 from a 1960 lark.....That is a great price for your Vega, I can't afford even a great deal like that right now but I would be happy to help you put that 352 in your Studebaker PU.

By the way, I have a Studebaker 259 V8 from a 1960 lark.....

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:02:33 AM by zenndog »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »
So far I have a 374 bolted in with a 4 speed Ford top loader and nine inch. Mustang 2 front stuff. It kind of stalled there. I need to move some rolling stock to make room indoors for the truck. And I'm not really sure I have another one in me. Getting tired. PS I have a 170 out of a '63 Lark. Need company for your 259?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 10:22:54 AM »
this thread got me going on the Diesel PP thread I have posted under B'Ville chat
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline zenndog

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 07:15:07 PM »
Rich- Sure you do! Just say the word . If you have the inclination to think about it I will provide the muscle. 'Nough said. PS Yeah, the 259 is probably lonely. It was slated to go in this

Another car body modified to much for any of the classes that require stock sheet metal.

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 11:25:21 AM »
Originally, I had Modified Gas Roadster on the brain (any type frame allowed), so when I had the chance at the truck, I envisioned the 1968 Chevy SWB frame I have as a starting point.  Newer frame, trailing arms, factory IFS and a wider main rail arrangement making it easier to mount a cage.

It would seem to me that the frame should be the best/strongest design available, within each competitors budget, for safety reasons.  As long as the body panels and bumpers remain in the same relation to each other, the total frontal area and cd would remain the same, and that is the real hinderance or challenge to going fast.  Making an old brick cut through the wind as efficiently is possible. 

The frame just holds it all together.  In a spin-out, roll or other sudden stoppage, I would rather have something more modern than 2 C-shaped pieces of 63 year old steel, in a narrow ladder arrangement, supporting my cage.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, like RichFox said, it is highly unlikely I will ever be in the impound.  This is for fun and the experience, and while SCTA rules are the primary concern with this build, it will also see the Texas Mile and maybe one of the local 1/8th mile 'strips, after a 3rd member swap.

C. J.

Not sure where you are with this.... One thought about changing the suspension type:  the rules for MMP say that the body cannot be modified from original or cannot be lowered over the frame (channeled or chopped) but say nothing about running the original suspension type.  The rules for Production, however, do state that the original front and rear suspension "types" must be retained.  Therefore, it could be inferred that in the "modified" class, which is the next step up in allowable modifications, the suspension type could be changed as long as it is attached to the original frame.
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph