Author Topic: Modified Pickup Question  (Read 14838 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Modified Pickup Question
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »
No. 5.D.5     "unaltered in height, width or contour."  How could you chop it and still conform to that rule?

Offline zenndog

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
Yeah, I just read that. I was just coming to say never mind. Thanks for answering.

Zenon

Offline fastman614

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »
It would have looked pretty cool though!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »
Yes it would. It's to bad that they don't have Comp Pickup

Offline zenndog

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 02:14:51 AM »
This is why I was asking

But it is chopped 3" and the windshield is laid back about an inch. Of course, just imagine 3" more on that cab, I think it "looks" right this way

I am not versed on the rules at all but I gather that you have to be careful about shaving things as well, like door handles, blinkers, etc. depending on the class.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:19:52 AM by zenndog »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
Nice truck. You could still run the truck as a "Time Only" entry or in the 130 or 150 classes of the USFRA. The Bonneville record for MP with a 350 engine is 224. What class were you thinking about and did you want to try to run record or just run for the for the runningof it?

Offline zenndog

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »
I don't think I would run time only. To set up a vehicle to be "safe", and pass tech seems like a good amount of work and money. If I got hooked but had a vehicle that could not compete in a class, at any venue, that seems like a good way to get frustrated.

Is production just supossed to be just how it rolled off the assembly line?

This class is for 1972 and later American and Foreign made mid and mini sized pickup trucks with full stock bed, unaltered in height, width or contour with all panels mounted in original relationship to each other. Samples of allowed trucks include but are not limited to: Chevrolet S-10, Ford Ranger, Nissan and Toyota.

How about production mid/mini P/MP H, 1189cc, I would have to put the E1 back in to make it stock, it has a J13 now, gearing is restrictive as well

or production coupe and sedan -/PRO D or classic category(or is production coupe in classic category?) 283 ci V8

this class is for American and foreign coupes, sedans, unaltered in height, width or contour, with all stock panels mounted in original relationship to each other. This category does not include cars properly classified as Sports or GT, such as foreign cars without rear seats suitable for continued adult occupancy. It does include Mustangs, Camaros, Barracudas, 1958 or later Thunderbirds, compacts, and other American cars of this type.

This car seems a bit large(?) to push through the wind

Ok, enough daydreaming, need to go to work
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:37:07 PM by zenndog »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 01:48:28 PM »
If you were running in Production Mini/Midi Pickup you are allowed to change the rear end to what ever fits the space available to get what ever gear you want. Any Toyota engine built on the same bore centers/ bolt patterens as the OEM engine can be run. A 283 or other engine swap would put you in Mod Mini/Midi Pickup. There are a great number of possibility's for a Hi Lux in the Pickup classes at El Mirage and Bonneville. Pick a class. Make a plan. Go for it.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
I wasn't thinking about putting a 283 in the Datsun L320, I was referring to the 1960 Bel Air sedan. The Bel Air has a stock 283.

So if you can use any engine with the same bore centers/bolt pattern in production coupe/sedan, something like my Bel Air, with a 283 SBC, if in engine class D, would be running against smaller coupes/sedans with up to 305cu engines.

The Datsun is a 1964. It has a J13 from a 66-71 datsun, the two engines share gasket sets so I think the engine would be okay as is then. I mean in terms of class. Now that I think of it, the J13 is a 1300, hence the "13".

Either way, I didn't mean to high jack this thread so I will think about it all and start a different thread.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
A B120 Sunny would be much more aero.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline zenndog

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »
Yeah, and I just realized that the production mid/mini class is for 1972 and later, 1964 is too early anyways! :|

Offline fastman614

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
I never owned or hotrodded a 59-60 Chevy but I knew of at least two cars and their owners who did.... the one that I recall most vividly was a black Belair 2dr hardtop that was supposed to have been an original 348 tri carb car.... it belonged to the older brother of one of my high school friends. The car had, at the time, a 409 with the tri carb set up and, later on, a 427.

It was a NICE car!

As my friend narrated the story of a high speed event during which he claimed to have been a passenger in the car, it was up to 140 mph on a stretch of freeway south of Vancouver where there are no on-ramps for about 5 miles.... it was actually a place where speed tests did occur.... (and may still be although the length of the stretch is now quite reduced due to a new freeway junction in the area) .... the back end of the car was getting light and loose.

His claim was that the horizontal fins, which looked SO COOL actually acted as lift devices ..... There should be some way of corroborating this as I am sure that the cars, during the years that they would have run in NASCAR back in the day, would have had a lot of corroborating evidence that such lift did occur. .... It would be something to think about if you did want to build the car into a LSR car.

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 07:09:51 PM »
If you were running a '60 Chevy with a 283 or a 302 or 305 you would be in C/Classic Production. Running against a 302 powered Monza with a 220 record. It would be very difficult to build a competitive car using a full sized sedan body.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
Rich-Yeah, as I was reading the rules today and looking over the classes and kind of figured that. I did look up the record holders and googled images of their cars.

fastman- That may just be the case because I was looking at old nascar clips on youtube a couple weeks ago and I saw few 1959 or 1960 chevys. It is hard to see though.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 07:49:29 AM »
How about a cheap Vega for Altered class?