Author Topic: frameless window rules  (Read 18634 times)

Offline 64avanti

Re: frameless window rules
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
Dan,

I have submitted the questions through the SCTA-BNI website.  Can we also send emails to the people listed on the rules committee?

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
David (64 Avanti) I agree that our side windows on the Avanits are not frameless so this may not apply to us but sure is going to cause some confusion in inspection process next year!! This may not be a problem for my race team because after 18 years of racing at Muroc, El Mirage and Bonneville, this year at Speed Week is our last year in Land Speed racing, can't afford it any more in  my retirement, but I will continue in being a volunteer for SCTA at Bonneville and El Mirage in conducting the timing on the the race courses, I enjoy all the Land Speed racers and race officials too much to stop helping with the races, its a great experience!! thanks Dave (Avanti Kid racing)  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
On my 1971 Camaro the side windows are frameless, that being said I took the initiative to replace rollers, channel felt, and other various things and adjustment to make my window fit tight. No problems to dang near 260. Also a lexan window can blow out of the car too, thus upsetting car aero and handling. What ever happened to racers making sure their equipment is up to standards and thus eliminating rules for every situation that could happen? Just a thought.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »
We had problems with our windows flexing outward at speeds over 270, we added velcro to help with this problem.  It worked!  :cheers:

Online jl222

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »

The piece of velcro being held is wrapped around the roll bar inside, and we can still open door with velcro attached.
  Most cars with frameless windows have a locking tab that clamps over the window when door shuts preventing blowout,and unclamps when opened. Does the rule committee know that, does everyone that voted
for this rule know that?
  I got several at the local Pick A Part wrecking yard then came up with this simpler idea.

JL222

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2011, 11:06:08 PM »
We had problems with our windows flexing outward at speeds over 270, we added velcro to help with this problem.  It worked!  :cheers:

LOVE IT!  Velcro!  The SCIENTIST'S duct tape!  :cheers:

jl222 - any pics?  I take it when the door is closed, you have some sort of L shaped piece that hinges on the verex?

Two best tips I've seen on this topic - thanks.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online jl222

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »

LOVE IT!  Velcro!  The SCIENTIST'S duct tape!  :cheers:

jl222 - any pics?  I take it when the door is closed, you have some sort of L shaped piece that hinges on the verex?

Two best tips I've seen on this topic - thanks.

After your post I looked for the units but couldn't find them, but I do have a spec sheet that I got from John Rains for the Firebird and Camaros that had them [not all did] of course they don't make that part anymore for our year.               I thought that I might find it at Pick a Part, none of the Camaros had them but found them on lots of other cars. They're hard to see as they're mounted in the weather stripping at top of body.

JL222

I'll ask Bvillercr to post a pic later this week.

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »
Studebaker had a similar system in the mid 50's and perhaps earlier for the hardtops.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:02 AM »
  Having worked many years running a GM parts department, I remember the part that you are talking about that prevented the front upper corner of the glass from moving outward as the speed went up. GM had a very scientific name for them. They were called "blowout clips". Shaped to fit at the upper front corner of the weather strip, they had a little groove in them that the glass slid into as the door closed and the glass compressed the strip and slid into the groove. You will find them on most any GM A body car from about 1970- 1976. [if they all haven't been crushed and sent to China]. They were really effective if the glass was adjusted right.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Online jl222

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »

This easy Velcro fix was tested at 294mph average in the 1st timed mile with an indicated top speed of 318 mph when piston let go at end of 1st mile.
  Maybe the rules could be amended to '' A method of preventing window blowout will be provided''

JL222

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »
This is a great idea. The blow out clips  and the window adjusted right seems to be a solution for these cars with frameless windows. I like the safety advantage of being able to roll the window down if needed. With lexan and bracing I doubt you can do that.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 01:37:34 AM »
How do you get the velcro tabs to glue to the lexan?  I used silicon to glue the rear side lexan into the frame as was the original glass, and thought it would hold, but when sliding it into the receiver the lexan came loose.  Next time around, I will put some bolts through it, but I hate drilling holes through OEM stuff that can't be replaced.   :|

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
The velcro on our car was on glass, we haven't installed our lexan side windows yet. :-P

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 09:04:41 PM »
On Lexan, you could use a combination of epoxy and pop rivets.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 01:07:37 AM »
Thanks I will give the epoxy a whirl.

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT