Author Topic: frameless window rules  (Read 18633 times)

Offline dw230

Re: frameless window rules
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »
For runs the USFRA rules for 130 and 150 are outside the rule book. I don't think USFRA cares about your window up to the max. mark for the 150 club.

When joining either the SCTA-BNI or USFRA for class record runs then you must comply. And, you have until 2012 to bring your frameless windows into compliance. Don't read into the rules what is not there. Jack Dolan says "don't date outside your species."

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »
Can't you make some sort of temporary receiver that fastens to the window frame in the roof and the quarter window. Then the door window would roll up into after the door is closed. It would need to be stiff enough to hold the glass without being much of a hindrance if you needed to open the door without first opening the window. But I think that could be done.

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
i would rather tear out the weather stripping and make a channel(s) for the windows. it would be a LOT easier for those of us with this issue and still be a registered street car.

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »
i keep looking at my car and i think the rules commitee should look at this again. if this has been an aero issue before, going to lexan with braces isn't going to be much of a help w/o having the window roll up into a channel. i know the aero around these windows isn't the greatest, but channels would be a lot better and would hold the window in and we can keep our glass.
i would send this to the rules people, but don't who or where to send it to.

john

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
www.scta-bni.org

On the left side of the web page scroll down to rule & regs and click to open
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
thanks

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 05:36:15 AM »
Look up how drag racers latch the top of the window to the inside of the car.

Something like this: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/fbcfab2004/SSPX0241.jpg

See the button on the front/upper side?   It secures the window frame to the car, preventing it from buffeting back and forth.  There's really no need for a "channel" if you make the perimeter frame and properly brace it to the door body.
-Blake S

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »
As I see it the last thing I would want is a channel. In an emergency who's going to roll down the window? There are some, maybe even many, with electric window which still work and maybe a switch on the outside would be necessary; but remember you just killed all the power with outside battery cut off switch cause you heard a pump running.

I too would look to the NHRA if I had a vehicle with frameless windows. They have bracing and a latch which operates from the inside and outside. . . . .good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DKrause615

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »
Last year I ran a car 205mph with frameless windows, no latch system and experienced no problems with buffeting.  I used a 1/2" square thin wall steel tube, formed it to the perimeter of the window.  I riveted 1/8" lexan to the tube.   A nice touch is to paint the perimeter of the window black to hide the tube.

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 03:28:11 AM »
OK here is a question or two.

The rule book says" starting 2012 all vehicles with frame-less side windows ...must have all non-laminated windows constructed of poly-cabonate material"

I can understand requiring the replacement of the side window with poly-carbonate material.  But why require replacing for example the rear window because the side window is frame-less?  Or was the intention of the rule that just the side windows be replaced?

The second question is about the definition of frame-less side windows.  I would think that this means a convertible or hardtop style window.  However the Avanti has a hardtop style window that doesn't roll up into the frame of the door but it does have a frame around 2 sides and the third side roles up into a channel on the wind-wing frame.  So what is the rule committees definition of a frame-less side window?

Offline dw230

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
Why don't you ask your question on www.scta-bni.org?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
Dan,

I will but I also know that you everything or at least almost everything!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »
The reason it's suggested that rules requests be sent to the SCTA web site is for new people to use the proper procedures to assure the correct answers are supplied. Not all answers on this site are official. The SCTA web site is there to help the racer that wants to run under their venues are up to date with the latest information.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »
And Glen Barrett wins the "best understatement of the week" award!! :cheers: :cheers:  He said:

"Not all answers on this site are official."
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 04:52:55 PM »
Actually none are!