Author Topic: frameless window rules  (Read 18660 times)

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
frameless window rules
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »
Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles with “frameless” side windows, regardless of speed, must have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material.
Additional bracing must be installed to prevent window blowout or collapse

dont know if this the correct area for this. i'm new to this type of racing and am trying to make it to loring in july.
i have a 73 buick century with the frameless windows. being a street car, does this rule mean i have to replace my windows?

thanks
john

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: frameless window rules
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »
That rule was mainly for Bonneville although it would include El Mirage for us west coasters. I don't know if the other race organizations have followed suit, I doubt it but check with the Loring officials.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
Loring official on this Forum is "Blakslax" or "Blackslax" -- you should be able to find him with a search through the "members" tab.

Once you find him =-= also use the LTA/Loring Timing Ass'n thread to get more focused information.  Best wishes - and have fun.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
That rule was mainly for Bonneville although it would include El Mirage for us west coasters. I don't know if the other race organizations have followed suit, I doubt it but check with the Loring officials.

for bonneville and el mirage you have to replace the windows on a street legal car??? and then put the oem's back in for the street. anybody ever work on these cars before? it aint no picnic. :-(

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:13:24 PM »

for bonneville and el mirage you have to replace the windows on a street legal car??? and then put the oem's back in for the street. anybody ever work on these cars before? it aint no picnic. :-(

The days of the dual purpose, SCTA/BNI racing LSR/Street Car have been history for quite a while.  It can be done, but it's not likely to be a car you'd want to trip to the grocery store in once it was completed.  Unless you like driving in traffic with a full cage which restricts your head movement laterally 2".
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »
i'm only trying for the 135-150 mark. i really don't want to go any further unless i hit the lotto.  :-D and i know i will have more questions about as time goes by.

Offline jl222

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles with “frameless” side windows, regardless of speed, must have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material.
Additional bracing must be installed to prevent window blowout or collapse

dont know if this the correct area for this. i'm new to this type of racing and am trying to make it to loring in july.
i have a 73 buick century with the frameless windows. being a street car, does this rule mean i have to replace my windows?

thanks
john

Are 73 buick windows non-laminet? I'm almost sure the rule is for tempered glass that breaks into little pieces. When did they start making tempered windows?

JL222

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:39:47 AM »
When did they start making tempered windows?

JL222

1930's

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:44:18 AM »
i'm only trying for the 135-150 mark. i really don't want to go any further unless i hit the lotto.  :-D and i know i will have more questions about as time goes by.

Check out the USFRA event in September.  130 club sounds like it might be your ticket.

http://www.saltflats.com/I30_Club_2009.html

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
Some years back the Thunder Frog blew out a window at speed and the clean up of glass took over two hours and 100 volunteers. This meant the short course was the only one open during the clean up. People waiting in line were not a happy bunch. One small piece of glass can ruin a $700.00 tire.

It's not just glass, parts and fasteners as well as tools are found during course sweeps daily. After your run a quick inspection of your vehicle should be done and if you see something missing lets us know by CB radio so we can look for the item.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 12:51:12 PM »
  Well I know I have lost thousands of dollars out on that course................. :-D      Bob
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:00:47 PM »
$870. :cry:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gsjohnny

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
after reading a lot of threads about speed and weight, the 73 does qualify as a fatty. :-D i'm pushing this car with a buick 350. and there are very few performance parts for it. so i make my own. hopefully 450-500 hp will push it to 150mph. thats all i want.
just waiting the rule book to get here so i can get started. :cheers:

Offline fastman614

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »

A 1973 Buick Century..... hmmm... I think I would start combing the pick an pull yards and get two doors to swap..... and NOT mess with changing glass back and forth
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »
I'm in somewhat of the same boat with an 85 Monte Carlo Super Sport.  Right now (for 2011) is the 130 Club.  Since the car hasn't been run since I built the motor several years ago (computer sez it otta make 550 hp...I'll figger 450-500 out of a roller-cam, AFR-head 406) it'll be a challenge just to get into that Club without something going wrong.  2012 (assuming that it makes 130) will be an attempt on the 150 Club. 

Both of these are USFRA only and run at WoS in September...unless I could sneak it into BUB's "Run Whatcha Brung" class...but I spose they'd notice right away that it had too many wheels.  :)

I don't plan to change any glass in the Monte.  It's a "frameless" window (2-dr hardtop) type (close to the longest and heaviest doors GM ever made) and as you said, Johnny, working inside the door panels is a real bitch.  I've changed enough electric window motors (mine doesn't have 'em, thank Providence) and other parts in 'em to have scars on both arms from the sheet metal.  I wouldn't wanna swap glass/Lexan back and forth.  Besides...I've got too much other stuff to do before September.  I guess I otta go out to the garage and swing a wrench or two.

Hope to see ya on the salt.