Author Topic: current project  (Read 24135 times)

Offline Freud

Re: current project
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 02:32:45 PM »
The Whisper Six
Since '63

Offline GH

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 09:06:58 AM »
Well, we got the GMC running a week ago. It didn't run too good, way too rich on the back two holes. I made the intake out of 3" tube like a log manifold. Scott Clark said it wasn't getting enough air at the rear end of the log. So I added some volume to it. Got it running yesterday and it runs a whole lot better.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 10:12:45 AM »
Gary, That's looking real neat! :cheers:

Glad you were able to get the car sold!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline GH

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Dieselgeek came down from Iowa last Friday and we took the old GMC to the NSRA Street Rod event. Out of about 2000 vehicles it was the only one that had a turbo on it. We got it tuned pretty good, it idles around the Fairgrounds with the exhaust cut-out opened and sounds great. It really sounds good running down the highway at 2000 rpm with the cut-out open. The rear end gear is 2.73 with a 29" tall tire.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
Please put it in the Studebaker !

Offline RICK

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »
Gary,,,, You do know that exhaust cut-outs are illegal for highway use in the state of Missouri,,,,,,right.

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline GH

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »
mtkawboy, that was the plan, XO/BGALT record was 168 before Salt Cat moved it up quite a bit. The Stude is gone now. Rick, who pays any attention to the laws on the road, especially us old timers.

Offline GH

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
I've got the truck apart, going to install a Mustang II front end under it.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 05:34:52 PM »
I've got the truck apart, going to install a Mustang II front end under it.

GH;

If you are going to a Mustang II front end, there is a simple brake upgrade that you can do that is very worthwhile. The Mustang II brake rotors are small but they can be replaced with larger rotors from a Chrysler, Plymouth, or Dodge of late-'80s vintage. The Chrysler prodects rotors were made by Kelsey-Hayes, the same supplier as for Ford. The new Mopar rotors fit onto the Ford spndles perfectly, even using the same wheel bearings & seals! A fairly simple adapter needs to be fabricated for the Mopar sliding caliper but it is not difficult. The improvement in braking is well worth it.

There are upgrades based on a Ford Granada, etc but this is simple, cheap, and light weight.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline GH

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
Neil, I purchased all the parts from Speedway Motors. I think the rotors are 11" , not sure of what make they are. I put the same stuff on my Daughters 53 Chevrolet truck some years ago and it works great.

Offline GH

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »
Scott Clark put some of the videos he made of the GMC. It's on YouTube, dieselgeek jimmy.

Offline GH

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
I just finished the Mustang II front suspension on the GMC. Took it to the front end shop for alignment, boy, does it run down the road good. It's not scary any more.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »
mtkawboy, that was the plan, XO/BGALT record was 168 before Salt Cat moved it up quite a bit. The Stude is gone now. Rick, who pays any attention to the laws on the road, especially us old timers.
You do know that the Vega that set the 168 record in '80 is for sale cheap. Just in case you need one.

Offline GH

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »
Rich, thanks for the info but I am done with LSR. Good luck with your racing and have a lot of fun.

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »
Yea it will do that.  Make sure your pics are less than 500K total for what you are posting.  Rename all of the with a 1 at the back or front and try it again.  I hate to say it but a couple of times I made it to 3 on the rename before I got them in.... You or anyone may have posted a file with that name.... shoot for something uncommon...
You going sailing with Sumner or building a power boat, I know you told me in the pits, I just don't remember
 :cheers:
    What ever happend  to Sumner? Did he just sail off into the sunset?
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder