Author Topic: Fran Hernandez  (Read 2981 times)

Online Stan Back

Fran Hernandez
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
From the LA Times

Hernandez, Francisco A.
February 08, 1922 - January 05, 2011

On an April morning in 1949, a young Mexican immigrant named Fran Hernandez drove his 1932 Ford coupe to a makeshift racing strip near Santa Barbara and defeated an old rival in what's considered the first legally sanctioned drag race in America. The Los Angeleno also set drag-racing history that day as the first driver to use a "nitro" fuel in his hot rod. Nitromethane, also used in rockets and model airplanes, remains a drag racing staple.
Mr. Hernandez, whose passion for fast cars led to a distinguished career with Ford Motor Co., died Jan. 5 at a nursing home in Tecumseh, Mich., of complications from a brain aneurysm he suffered in 1994. He was 88.

He was born Francisco Arturo Hernandez in Chihuahua, Mexico, on Feb. 8, 1922, and arrived in Los Angeles as an infant with his family, exiles of the Mexican Revolution. He attended Polytechnic High School and during World War II served in the U.S. Navy as a first class machinist mate on the USS Cabot CVL-28 in the Pacific theater.

Returning to Los Angeles after the war, he became a machine-shop owner with automotive engineer Fred Offenhauser and later a foreman for the Edelbrock Equipment Co. He indulged his love of tinkering and his need for speed by building hot rods in the Edelbrock machine shop and racing, legally and otherwise, on streets and dry salt lakes, including Bonneville.
His 1949 grudge match with a dry lakes racer named Tom Cobbs took place in a legal venue sponsored by the Santa Barbara Acceleration Association, on a service road at the Santa Barbara Municipal Airport. In the highly touted race, Cobbs drove a supercharged roadster, a '29 Model A body over a '34 Ford frame, but it was no match for the souped-up '32 Mercury three-window coupe that Mr. Hernandez drove.

Mr. Hernandez went on to work for Indianapolis 500 racer Peter DePaolo, car builder Bill Stroppe and Electric Auto-Lite Co., which was acquired by Ford Motor Co. in 1961. He moved to Detroit the next year and was a Ford manager for more than 33 years. In the 1960s, he developed a racing program at Ford's Lincoln-Mercury division and is credited with coining the term "Funny Car," originally a Mercury Comet Cyclone GT. ("Funny Car" is an official drag racing car class.)

In 1969-70, Mr. Hernandez managed the Ford facility in Brighton, Mich., that produced the Boss 429, a Mustang variant, and in later years managed Ford's Fabrication & Build Activity, which hand-built a 1988 limousine for Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. He retired in the 1990s.

Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Patricia (Rathbun) Hernandez of Tecumseh, who married him in Los Angeles in 1943 - after he got out of jail. He had been sentenced to 30 days behind bars for zipping around LA in a roadster with no fenders or running boards; he got out five days early for good behavior.

Survivors also include three children, Randy Hernandez of Tecumseh, MI, Nancy Hernandez of Houston, TX, Rick Hernandez of Agoura Hills, CA; a brother, Luis F. "Phil" Hernandez of Los Angeles; and seven grandchildren.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Fran Hernandez
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
Thanks for figuring it out, Stan.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:13:49 AM »
There are people who do nothing with their live other than pass through.  Fran Hernandez sounds like he had one great life.  I never met him but I would love to have been able to sit down and listen to his recollections.  R.I.P.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
Was he a long time member of the San Bernardino Roadster Club?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »
Road Runners.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:56:08 AM »
I think Freud was referring to Stan Back and the San Berdoo Roadster Club, not the late Mr. Hernandez.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

DocBeech

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:03:19 AM »
“As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor”

This won't make sense to all of you, but it does to me and my fellow Shipmates/Marines.
The Watch The Watch

While some of us were in our bunks at night, this Sailor stood the watch.

While some of us were in school learning our trade, this Shipmate
stood the watch.

Yes…even before some of us were born into this world, this Shipmate
stood the watch.

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen brewing on the
horizon of history this Shipmate stood the watch.

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing
there…needing his guidance and help…needing that hand to hold
during those hard times…but he still stood the watch.

He stood the watch so that we, our families, and our fellow countrymen
could sleep soundly in safety each and every night knowing that a Sailor stood the watch.

Today we are here to say “Shipmate, the watch stands relieved."

Petty Officer First Class We Have the Watch.

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
I.B. you were on the correct frequency.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
  30 days for no fenders or running boards, now you get 3hrs for stealing a car.
  Santa Barbara my hometown and lots of other Bville racers. Strip was at airport in Goleta about 6 miles from SB

JL222
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:09:48 PM by jl222 »

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
Sorry for the confusion Freud. 

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
Nortonist, I too am sorry for my confusion.

I'm trying to do better.

FREUD
Since '63