Author Topic: LSR Newbie Questions (Motorcycle)  (Read 4779 times)

Offline BGoodwin22

• New folks
LSR Newbie Questions (Motorcycle)
« on: February 01, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
Hey all!

I'm new to the LSR scene, and had no idea it was even taking place at Loring until a few months ago when the guy that tunes my bikes told me about it. I grew up in central Maine and my parents live about an hour and a half away. I live in southern NH now but I would like to make the trip up and participate in this years event. I recently picked up a new (holdover) 08 ZX-10r that I am completely going through over the winter. I figured while I had it apart modifying stuff, I might as well make it legal to run at the event. I don't plan on getting too serious about it right away or setting any records, as this bike is still my "commuter" bike.  :-D Just want to make a few passes and have some fun.

I've been reading through the ECTA rule book online (I think it is from 2008 though, not sure?) and I think I have a pretty good handle on what I need to do to the bike to pass tech. I just wanted to double check with some people that a more familiar with this than I am to make sure I didn't miss anything. I would hate to do this work and drive up there and not be able to run due to some small safety item that I overlooked.

I plan on getting an aluminum chain guard from Tiger racing, replacing the valve stems/caps with metal versions, installing a lanyard/tether kill switch. The bike came factory with an Ohlins steering damper, and I believe the stock tires should be acceptable for the speeds. They are basically brand new Bridgestone BT016's, OEM tires for the ZX-10r. I don't recall what the sidewall reads now tho. I believe the rear says (75W), but don't quote me on that. Does the rear axle need to be safety wired if it has a cotter pin already? And how do you go about safety wiring the front axle (pinch bolts, no exposed nuts/bolt heads)? Is there anything else that needs to be safety wired?

The battery is under the seat, with a metal bracket that goes over it and runs side-to-side on the bike so the subframe of the bike keeps the battery from moving up and down and side to side. There is then a rubber strap that holds the battery from sliding foreward/aft. Is this acceptable?

Also, is a strap kit an acceptable means for lowering the front? I don't want to do anything permanent as this bike is primarily used on the street. But I live 15 min. from a drag strip so I figured with the strap kit for the front and adjustable lowering links for the rear, it would be fairly easy to swap back and forth between street and track set ups.

I appologize for the long first post. I just wanted to get it all out there so there is minimal confusion. Thanks for any input you can provide. I'm very excited for this years event!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:46:52 PM by BGoodwin22 »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: LSR Newbie Questions (Motorcycle)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »
Prodction or Modified?  I don't think you can lower the front for production...
I would probably try it both ways, it is hard to tell which will be faster.
Contact Todd Dross, through DahMurf via PM to ask about the battery strap, he may be familiar with the bike.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline BGoodwin22

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
Prodction or Modified?  I don't think you can lower the front for production...
I would probably try it both ways, it is hard to tell which will be faster.
Contact Todd Dross, through DahMurf via PM to ask about the battery strap, he may be familiar with the bike.

Hadn't really thought about the class? It would be a pretty quick swap between lowered and stock, so I could prob try both ways. The motor will be all stock internals wise, so that wouldn't move me to the modified class I assume. I guess it doesn't really matter to me what class I'm in. I don't plan on setting any records, I just want to play around with some gearing and see what the bike will really do (legally).

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
Production is stock appearing except for safety items, modified is for pipe, fairing and other external changes... motor work is allowed in production. 
Contact Todd or the ECTA for further info. 
Get a current rule book, read it over and over then think about it and read it again....
Stainless

Offline RansomT

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »
Going by the ECTA rules: you want to safety wire everthing first, including the oil filter.  There has been a rule change on the tether cord, at the bottom of the home page www.ecta-lsr.com.  As it pertains to the motorcycle, you seem to have most of it down.  However, it's what you wear that is the most important.  Helmet has to be no older than 5 years and SNELL approved.  I personally would recommend 1 piece leathers instead of the 2 piece and you must have all of the protective armor (you will need to contact Todd for the specifics).  Unlike the salt folks, ECTA does accept some perforated leather.  Good race gloves and boots.

Of course, this post is unofficial.

Offline BGoodwin22

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
Production is stock appearing except for safety items, modified is for pipe, fairing and other external changes... motor work is allowed in production. 
Contact Todd or the ECTA for further info. 
Get a current rule book, read it over and over then think about it and read it again....

I guess I would be in the modified class then, as I have a slip-on pipe. I plan on getting a rulebook, just waiting for the 2011 version to be finalized.

As for gear, I have a brand new helmet (well assuming it comes off backorder sometime soon) which is SNELL approved, and I've got leather gloves as well. Still need to pick up the suit and boots, just trying to decide what style I want and what I can find the best price on. I don't really want to invest a lot into a suit and boots as they won't be worn that often. I've got other gear that I wear on the street.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
Remember it is protecting your skin, bones and probably your life at 200.... shit happens, equip yourself accordingly...
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
I hope you've got an honest helmet dealer - that will deliver a 2010 SNELL approved helmet.  There were '05 Snells and '00 Snells -- and they all might still be on a shelf here or there and yet be new and unsold.  A '1- or '05 helmet will pass tech -- an '00 or older will no longer pass muster.  A word to the wise -- specify '10 Snell!!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NS_Rider

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »
Try Ebay for your leathers and boots, thats where we found mine. Boots were new and around $80 I think. And the leathers were used and around $200, but we had to have the perfs patched.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »
No perfs at Loring?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NS_Rider

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
I'm not sure about perfs on leathers for Loring, mine were patched for Bonneville.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 12:48:39 AM »
Lowering the bike does not make a lot of difference in frontal area.  We measured the Triumph in standard and lowered positions.  The difference was the width of the front tire x the distance lowered.  Only a few square inches.  Not worth the effort.  There are a lot of other items that are a lot more effective if they are figured out and optimized, such as gearing, shift points, tuck, and fuel choice.

Offline Nosgsx1300

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
where in southern NH are you?
Nashua here
 have done a few LSR events
and if I can help you out shoot me a message