Author Topic: Important ECTA notice  (Read 22526 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Important ECTA notice
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »
I believe that one thing to remember about airports is that if the runway is active then FAA won't allow its use for anything except air traffic.

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2011, 04:27:22 PM »
I believe that one thing to remember about airports is that if the runway is active then FAA won't allow its use for anything except air traffic.

Yes, but active runways close all the time. A notam would have to be issued, but it happens pretty commonly. I am bombing down home for the weekend, I will grab my copy of the Federal Aviation Rules and check and see if I can find anything pertaining specifically to that.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2011, 08:43:40 PM »
Mount Comfort Airport = 5500 feet ... just a mile long ... most muncipal airports are 4500 to 5500 feet in length ... not long enough for land speed racing ...

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2011, 07:56:18 PM »
Got some info on the Wilmington, NC possibility (actually Holly Ridge, a tiny town up US 17 a bit).  Anyhow, it turns out to be just over a mile and evidently is still used sometimes by Camp Lejune for target practice.  Either way, of no use to us.  The Kinston, NC facility IS long enough and not tied to the military - several of us are looking into this one.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline rightpedal

• New folks
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »
A thought on bases that have bin traditionally "off limits"  What effect has the BRAC (base realignment and closure) had on a possible opening?

Steve

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
Kinston is a nice location.  Plenty of lodging and other facilities nearby as it is on the main drag to new Bern, which is a town I wanted to spend a little time in as well.  Lenoir Memorial Hospital is nearby not that I have any plans to visit that anytime soon!  If nothing is available closer, there is a campground in Selma right at exit 96 off I-95 where I could keep my camper, which I currently keep in Lumberton.

Just found the Neuseway Nature Park with camping on the river at around 12 bucks a night just down the road from the airport!  Seriously doubt they have rv storage but nice place to hang out with museum, planetarium, etc... nearby.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:46:27 PM by MiltonP »

Offline RansomT

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 01:30:28 PM »

From my understanding, that is correct ... however, if you have more than one runway at a location, then the second one can be used on a temporary bases.

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »
this threads getting long and I've lost track of what airfields have been mentioned already. Sorry if this has alrady been mentioned.

Cecil Field, Jacksonville, FL
Owner: Florida State College at Jacksonville
runway is 12500 long and 200 feet wide