Author Topic: Important ECTA notice  (Read 22530 times)

LittleLiner

Re: Important ECTA notice
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
Last space shuttle mission is this year . . .

Shuttle landing field at KSC is 15000 feet long.   

Anybody know someone high-up in NASA?

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »

Interesting, but I do know that NASA flys other research aircraft in some capacity.  Isn't there a backup landing spot near White Sands, NM?  I can't find it on google maps.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »

Interesting, but I do know that NASA flys other research aircraft in some capacity.  Isn't there a backup landing spot near White Sands, NM?  I can't find it on google maps.

White Sands Space Harbor .... it's on google earth.  It's a dry lake bed.

Offline jreken

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2011, 04:27:39 PM »
E A S T Coast Timing Association  Boys!!!!!!

John

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2011, 03:36:08 AM »
Tiger Racing will be a continued supporter of the ECTA at any venue in any location.  What a fantastic opportunity to bring Great Racing to those who couldn't afford to travel to Maxton.  Don't forget to get your New ECTA rulebook the moment it becomes available this year which should be soon.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
I took a look at Gryphon Group's training and they plan to ramp up from the three courses currently offered at Maxton to possibly as many as fifteen.  Unfortunately, my gut tells me that even if the CEO became a fan of land speed racing the facility will likely still be altered to the point we wouldn't be able to run there.  Still... you never know.  I wonder if Rockingham has enough property to add a 2 mile run.  Doesn't look like it unfortunately, as those folks are definitely into expanding their offerings

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
I was wondering if there is any chance that Andrews Airforce Base would consider hosting an event.  They are used to hosting the public on base for the airshow.  Based on mapquest it looks like it has a pair of 2 mile runways parallel to each other with seperate taxiways so they could maintain emergeny operations.  I think SCCA had a regular autox series at a DoD facility in the area but it is quite a leap from hosting autox on a lot to using a active base runway.

Offline TRNorBRN6001

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2011, 01:24:57 AM »
Wow, I am out of the loop, my wife had to inform me. I am shocked and sad. I do however wish the best for the ECTA and thank them for all the work and time everyone has put in to Maxton to make it so great. Hope you all find some nice smooth strips and we'll come race. I hope to make Maxton one last time this year.

Farewell and best wishes,

Gary

P.S.: can't wait for all the new venues you all will be putting on!

P.S.S.: Entropy I might have to bum a few rides with ya in 2012!

Offline entropy

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 04:18:12 AM »
P.S.S.: Entropy I might have to bum a few rides with ya in 2012!

Gary,
forget 2012, i'll prob be in an Old Man's Home by then, let's do 2011.
As soon as i get the subwoofer and spinners for my new Denali, i'll be GTG, TFA rollin'.

I'd love to do a Maxton event in 2011, and my dance card is filling up, so we gotta talk.
Karl

PS:  get that Busa Turbo makin' noise, we gotta represent the great and sovereign Republic of Texas, and yr venerable 12 might not be up to the task.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
Karl ---  not the same without TFA ... ECTA will survive with some events somewhere ... still too early in the game to call

Offline Tman

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
Here is a post I clipped from the HAMB Michigan but feasable sounding.

Grenade Inspector

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport, a former Air Force Base at Oscoda, Michigan, is and has been available at $1,000 per day. You provide the timing equipment, ambulance and safety equipment. I know guys that have been doing testing there for the last couple of years, and I know guys that have run at Maxton. Wurtzmith is in much better condition and safer according to them.

The runway in 12,000 feet long x 200 feet wide and in excellent condition.
http://oscairport.com/

For an aerial view, go to Bing Maps and search ‘oscoda wurtzmith airport’. 

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
Pretty sweet looking base but at 737 miles from Winchester and Loring some 900 miles I sure am hoping for a regular venue a little closer to home.  Wilmington is similar to Maxton in distance for me but I sure am hoping for something in the south so we can keep everyone who could make it to Maxton running.

A few miles south of Martinsburg, WV just East of I-81 is the Eastern West Virginia Regional Airport.  Based on imagery the runway seems similar in length to Maxton and they may have acquired the adjacent property to extend it.  They are hosting an airshow in September with our old neighbors, the Golden Knights participating, and I noticed a motorcycle rally on their monthly meeting agenda next week.  They don't have passenger service there.  If there is interest, I don't mind initiating contact with them but I would like to have an idea of what financial arrangements have been in place with other facilities before checking with them about the runway length and potent for events there.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2011, 09:07:23 PM »
Just thinking...  If a track cannot be found before August 2012 . Could Loring be expanded to a week long event? It could be billed as "Speed Week East" and I am sure there would be enough interest if we only get one east coats race in 2012.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
Not a bad idea at all!  If you blow up early in the week there is nothing like a cold beer and fresh steamed lobster down on the coast to make you feel better! 
 :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
ECTA Might= East Coast Traveling Assn.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records