Author Topic: Important ECTA notice  (Read 22533 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: Important ECTA notice
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
From a former Buell enginer--

Straight is 2.0 miles long with no run off on either end. Gators come out of the swamp most afternoons and lay just off the pavment on the north end.

Black bears cross the track wedensday mornings (garbage day). Deer on occasions before dusk.

It was a very professionaly run facility, the employees were top notch. Ford owned it prior to HD.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline runt13

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »
i was talking to brook mc cabe from colliers harley davidson today, i mentioned that i was going to maxton for my first time this year. we chatted it up for almost an hr. i mentioned that maxton may have to move for next year.

he said they just finished a new airport in halifax county. and that the old halifax airport has been vacant for a little over a year. he also mentioned that there were new hangers and building built in the last 5 years.  he is going to see if he can get anymore info on it but this is what i got

the old halifax airport, near roanoke rapids nc. its not much, but its a start.

i will keep any information i get flowing.

runt
who would have guessed it would take so long to go so fast for such a short time?

2012 Wilmington mile
April meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record, 132.601mph

September meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 139.915mph [bump]
p/pp-1650/4 record 142.364 mph
p/pp-2000/4 record 140.009 mph
p/pp-3000/4 record 144.511 mph

2013 Wilmington mile
July meet,
m/pg-1650/4 record 137.278
m/pg-2000/4 record 136.695

Sept meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 141.1986 [bump]

2014  Wilmington mile
May meet
p/pp-1340/4 record 142.5855 [bump]

Offline sailingadventure

• McCain Automotive
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »
Well, I really hate to hear this news, I guess I`ll have to work a little faster if I`m going to race this year.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Prior  to that, bales of a tobacco like substance used to fall out of the sky there from time to time from our Columbian friends to the south  :roll:

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:26 PM »
I've just started gathering preliminary info but there may be another couple of possible NC locations.  There's an abandoned WWII strip near Wilmington, NC that was used for drag racing at one time.  I know an old-timer (even older than Me!) who will have more info.  I'm playing phone tag right now.

Also, Dave Maty says Kinston may have an appropriate facility.  Evidently they had commercial aviation but that's fallen by the wayside.  I'm hoping Dave is looking into that one.

Bottom line - there ARE alternatives.  The Wilmington, NC one would, of course, be WAY cool for me but Wilmington, OH could work, too.  We'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

At the risk of sucking up a bit, let me say "THANKS!" to Keith, Joe, Tonya and Donna.  I've looked behind the curtain a bit and I can assure you that we have NO idea of what it takes to pull these meets off.  As said, if we're going to have to become a wandering band of racing gypsies we're all going to have to kick in even more or it just can't happen.  It always seems a bit odd when they honor the volunteers at the banquet when it should be US honoring THEM!

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
After working 10 years on our lakester ,we are planning to run Maxton this Year. The loss of this site will be a real bummer for me,Like finding out there is no Santa Clause in November.

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
So, one idea that is perhaps really off the wall- what about an event on ice? I know  of plenty of lakes large enough to support shutdown from 150+. If they can do it in Sweden, why not here? I'd do it.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
I seem to recall the old Chrysler proving grounds having a 2 mile straight away.  Do they use it on weekends?  Do they rent it out?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
Kieth,

Have you thought about going back to Spence Airport at Moultrie, GA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spence_Airport

Isn't that where the ECTA first held races, they seem to be real car friendly there with the big Annual Automotive Swapmeet.

http://www.moultrieswapmeet.com/

JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS
Check out my "WILD HARE RACING" Land Speed Racing Rabbit album at;
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/wild_hare_racing_land_speed_racing_rabbit
EAST COAST TIMING ASSOCIATION
I MAY BE GETTING OLDER.............BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!
Shhhh........be vewy, vewy quiet........we are wacing a wabbit!!!!

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »
I haven't worked for or with the OEMs for years and the financial times have changed.  I used to work for the GMPG and they have two possible straightaways.  I'm not as familiar with the Chrysler facility (although I have toured it) but I'm sure you're right.  Ford Romeo (the Packard PG) probably has facilities, too.

There's certainly no harm in asking but here's what I think you'll find:
1) Security is TIGHT at these facilities.  They're paranoid about industrial spying and guard all secrets (real and imagined) jealously.  
2) Traditionally they are in use 24/7, more or less 365 days a year.  So there are not likely to be any available dates.
3) Any damage, either to the facility or to any test equipment (including vehicles) is something they will not sustain.

I've never heard of these places being open to the public in any form, although I've heard that they have recently started renting to THEIR suppliers (Dana, for example).  Not sure this would apply to an outside organization.

All this said, there's no harm in asking.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »
 Sorry to hear this. Here's to a great last year at Maxton and may many records fall!    :cheers:    See you all in April
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »
Right now ....  rallying on our behalf wouldn't be productive....

Keep the alternate sites coming....  Maxton will take care of itself in time....  this guy won't be there forever.... he's just there now...

K
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:51:30 AM by KeithTurk »
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »
Right now ....  rallying on our behalf wouldn't be productive....

this guy won't be there forever.... he's just there now...

K

Good point Keith, temporary unavailability...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
I saw a mention of the old Halifax County airport.  I will do some checking, but my recolection is it is short.  Something like the little regional field we have in Granville County.  The Global Transpark in Kinston didn't take off at all, but there are more businesses moving in there related to the building of the Air Forces new tanker, so there is more traffic.  Pre 9-11 we closed the field at Oceana for a weekend to allow SCCA racing on the strips.  I'm sure that is out these days.  Not sure if the Navy closed Merridian, Mississippi or not.  I"m sure we all will keep looking.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
Donaldson Center in Greenville, SC might be an option. It's a little short at 8,000 ft. but might be able to make it work. just gotta hang a bigger anchor on it.

To echo Mr. Turks point, this guy is in the secuity bizz and dont what to be bothered by a bunch of go fasters. he won't be there forever.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15