Author Topic: Important ECTA notice  (Read 22575 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Important ECTA notice
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:35:20 PM »
A Note from the East Coast Timing Association

For the 2011 Maxton Race Season, the ECTA has come to an agreement with the Gryphon Group which will allow us to continue the use of the Runway through the October Event.

It is the position of the Gryphon group that 2012 will see an increase in their training and traffic which will require them to fully use their leased area. In other words, they have written us a letter stating that it is their intent not to allow us any further use of the facility in 2012. During our meeting we agreed to look at possible ways to continue in 2012. The ECTA will continue to try and work with the Gryphon group as we move through this year.

At our Board of Directors Meeting held last August, we mapped out a plan to find other possible sites to create a traveling series. This Plan was to have a couple of events in the deep south in winter, moving to a mid-states for early spring and late fall and a northern mid-summer event. We have been actively searching x-military airbases and have a couple of possibilities in the works. If you are aware of sites that have 2 miles of undisturbed runways, please let us know about them. The ECTA has no plans on 'going away' but it will be different.

We collectively need to work together to insure our 2011 season at Maxton is successful by not interfering or disturbing their training facilities. Upon arrival at Maxton, you will be given a map of the off limits areas and no matter how tempting it might be to play in them.... it will be our responsibility to keep our people out of these area's... our pit area will change and you can expect to see those changes at the Gate as you enter. The Gate will open on Friday morning at 9 am.

Thank you for your continued support,
East Coast Timing Association Staff
Joe, Donna, Keith and Tonya
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WildBro

Re: Important ECTA notice
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »
I defiantly see this as a big opportunity for the ECTA to expand and grow to the next level.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
Good attitude, Bill.  Then there's the not-so-good thought -- that it is going to take a whole heck of a lot of work to make the Ass'n grow -- and remember, Joe/Donna/Keith/Tonya have not only jobs - but lives, too.  Expect that more than a few racers are going to have to step up their level of activity to make the thing work, to help it grow.

But still -- you're right -- it's definitely an opportunity.  I'm not sure if it defiantly is, but then, what ever is?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »
Wow, big changes. Loring could become a points event perhaps.

Best of luck to the Turkneys  :-D  I will help in any way I can.

Dean

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »
Best of luck to them. Hey Slim, are you familiar with the airport in Oscoda?

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »
Nope -- heard of the town, of course, but that's all.  Why -- you thinking of starting an international airline based there?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DanMay1776

• P/PV-250/4 1954 BMW R25/3
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 10:10:10 PM »
First of all, I want to thank Joe, Donna, Keith and Tonya and everyone else who makes Maxton happen.  I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into putting on the multiple ECTA events each year at Maxton.  Having said that, in my mind the ECTA is the people not the venue, and if it has to move I believe the ECTA will survive.

What is the current status on Wilmington Airport ?  Just throwing in my vote for something in the Midwest...

And looking forward to a good 2011 season at Maxton.

Offline BAD-JAG

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »
Need a new airport venue that's 2 miles long (smooth as silk) and in the deep south?

Sounds like Miami (it's in Florida) to me!

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:21:46 PM »
Nope -- heard of the town, of course, but that's all.  Why -- you thinking of starting an international airline based there?

No. Dad had mentioned seeing some race cars using the runway once. I know that you have looked around some of Michigan's Airports before, I didn't know if Wurtsmith had ever come up before. I also know that the biggest business on the field is operated by a guy who is probably pretty friendly to motorsports- Conrad Kalitta.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 06:30:59 AM »
This is not good news. The entire basis of land speed racing east of the Mississippi is ECTA. Excepting a single event in the far north east part of Maine which is quite a distance for most of the ECTA participants. We have to hope for some compromise at Maxton.

Offline DKA

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 08:02:21 AM »
After a couple of years hiatus doing other motor sports, I am returning this year to the ECTA. The location is great for me (2 hours away), so I'm going to miss that if it goes away. But whatever, or where ever it happens I'm hoping to be a part of it.  I'm also willing to do what I can to help this organization through this transition period.

David Anderson
If it can be built, it can be raced.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »
What is the current status on Wilmington Airport ? 

Still in the very preliminary stages.  The Port Authority has been contacted and a presentation given.  No offical word from them.

Offline geezer1

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »
Nope -- heard of the town, of course, but that's all.  Why -- you thinking of starting an international airline based there?

No. Dad had mentioned seeing some race cars using the runway once. I know that you have looked around some of Michigan's Airports before, I didn't know if Wurtsmith had ever come up before. I also know that the biggest business on the field is operated by a guy who is probably pretty friendly to motorsports- Conrad Kalitta.

Hello,
I spoke with a rep from Kallita, who hooked me up with the manager at Wurtsmith. Nice guy, very helpful -  the bottom line is that it doesn't look like the facility will work out. They have 1 runway, it's still being used and would have to be cleared when a takeoff or landing occurred. And, there are restrictions on where cars, transporters and people can go.

If anyone finds any other info on Wurtsmith - I'd be glad to help follow up.
 Geo Turner
Geezer Racing

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:41:52 AM by geezer1 »
Geezer Racing - (Turner/Herr/Mclellan/Acton/Pranger/Acton/Acton /McDonald/Hascall/Patul)
Trever is in at over 210!!!!!(17 yrs. old) Kyle is in at over 212!!!!! (16 yrs' old)
2 Wins in the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge in Super Street 2014-2015
5 Different Geezer Drivers set records at Maxton, Loring, and Ohio
We also had the honor to have the fastest Innkeeper in Wilmington Ohio in the Geezer Express
Thank you ECTA and our great LSR Friends! Press On Regardless!!

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »
Maybe something on this site will pan out

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/

Offline entropy

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »
Change afoot at Maxton?   hmmmmmmmm....
Sure have had a great buncha events, maybe the airport will put off doing what they are doing?
The Couny keeps telling the Texas Mile Org that change in ownership is likely but it never seems to happen.

I'd say that the Miami venue is the sweetest strip of all, albeit a lil bit shorter than Loring.

Maybe Dade County would listen to Joe T's pitch.

It be a great place to go when everything up N is too cold to hold races.