Author Topic: Rear Wing vs Rear Spoiler  (Read 17248 times)

DocBeech

Rear Wing vs Rear Spoiler
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
I am at work so I cant post photos right now. But I am looking at a couple of ideas and I don't know which is better.

If you look at my car photos now it has a rear trunk spoiler. I believe that one is rated to about 160mph but creates less downforce than the APR GT 300 Wing - http://www.aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=44

They also have this drag wing which says 125 + with no limit - http://www.aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=44

but I have also found this - http://www.200mphplus.com/index.php/products/wing/

Really what I need is a wing that is good from about 65mph to 200mph (my target and final goal of breaking) What I don't know is which one is the better choice unless you guys know someone that can custom make a wing that suits my needs?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear Wing vs Rear Spoiler
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:22:37 PM »
Why do you think you need a wing or spoiler?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

DocBeech

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »
I know I need one because of the track time I have spent. At 135 mph my car gets a little loose. On the track It helps a lot when I am at the 60mph mark in turns. But I know after 135 that my vehicle needs the down force because last time in the 135 - 170 range when I had nothing at all on the car it was not nearly as smooth to drive as after I put the rear spoiler on, and I didn't get near the traction I do with it.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
Ok  :-D

You might want to do a bit of research on weight vs. drag at the salt...........
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
would weight and end plates be more efficient
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »
wow, tough crowd!

Sparky has good suggestion - for LSR there are other ways to get some traction.  Read more.

Hope to see you out there!

signed,
another mazda guy
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
What track are you putting your time in at?

DocBeech

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
I used to run at fontana but that was in a 427 mustang, I would do the cali, nevada, arizona thing. While I was in the military.

Addison Airport, Texas Motor Speedway very occasionally lets us on, AutoX at Fair Park, Austin Raceway Park, Rattlesnake Raceway, Racers Ranch are a couple of places I have gotten to run. I have hit a track in Oklahoma once, and Ive been to Louisiana twice.

Online jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »
What is your car? And class? I don't have rule book handy but thought wings were specifically prohibited unless available from MFG. If am wrong, please ignore this post.  :|
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

DocBeech

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 06:47:33 PM »
they are available through the MFG. There are three types of wings my car had the option of. One was the GT wing, one was the Trunk Lip Spoiler, and one was the MazdaSpeed Wing.

GT Wing:

Lip Spoiler:

MazdaSpeed Option:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
When you say you get loose, do you mean you are losing traction in a straight or in the turns?  Not sure if you are racing for top speed or on a track?

DocBeech

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »
my vehicle is loose at higher speeds. below 90 I really can get away with nothing, but I start to feel a real safety need for downforce after 135, now I have yet to get to run just a straight course no turns, nothing.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 11:50:14 PM »
Sounds like your car isn't set up very well.  How much Hp are you putting down?

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »
You need to be careful not to assume any part available from an OEM dealer will automatically be accepted by SCTA. Body kits and swoopy IMSA panels, even though they have an OEM part number, are usually not allowed . . . even with 500 unit production and homogulation. A Classic example (pun intended) is the 75-80 Chevy Monza. Chevy wanted to make a presence in road racing so they subcontracted development of a complete body kit converting the car into a Mirage. All parts available from a dealer with a GM part number and SCCA approval. While approved by other organizations they are disallowed by SCTA.  

If you want to stay in Production or Gas class make sure the wing is approved ahead of time. The links you provided above would disqualify the car in those two classes.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:04:23 AM by Saltfever »

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »
Remember, you will fly when going backwards.
Before and After:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:27:26 AM by Saltfever »