Author Topic: Jan. 28th 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger  (Read 3972 times)

Offline osti

Jan. 28th 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
25 years ago today...I was sitting in a classroom my eyes glued to the television. We were watching the space shuttle Challenger launch. I will never forget what I saw that day. The shuttle exploding shortly after lift-off. One of the astronauts Mr. Ellison Onizuka had come to our school weeks before the launch. He explained some of the things they were going to be doing on the mission. We all got to have our picture taken with him. I still have mine. It's hanging on the wall in my garage.

That night after school I remember talking with my parents about what happened. Then we watched president Reagan's speech on television. Very, very moving speech. I just watched the speech again on youtube. Still very moving 25 years later.

RIP to all 7 Challenger astronauts.

Anyone else remember what they were doing when you saw/heard the news?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:21:54 PM by osti »

Offline Geo

Re: Jan. 28th 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
My child just did a report for hero day at school.  Everyone picks a person who is a hero and presents a report to the class.  The class votes and those with the most votes present in front of the school and then the district.

The selected hero was Sally Ride the astronaut.  I had to gather the items for the costume.  I found a small flight suit and the correct NASA patches.  Great fit and all the boys thought the outfit was super cool.  While researching astronauts and helping with the report I watched the failed liftoff.  Very sad.  Sally Ride was on the review team for the failed flight and the solution team for future flights.

Thanks for mentioning the other people who go fast with a touch of danger.  There all heros in my book.

HotRodV8

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
I remember seeing the Challenger liftoff with my eyes. Being in Tampa, 125 miles from the Kennedy Space Center, I had already watched several launches and had been at the Space Center as a VIP for a couple of launches.

I was sitting in my car in my office parking lot listening to the radio and when the Challenger launch countdown hit zero, I got out of my car and saw it live. I can still see that sight today. I went into my office to listen to the TV to get more sad news.

I had a heavy heart for the Teacher in Space program because I applied to the program. When I received the application, it said they were looking for a classroom teacher. I was promoted from shop teacher to the administration ranks and therefore would not be selected.

And life goes on. My 9 year old daughter has been to the Space Center for EVERY shuttle launch since she was 3 years old, except the last three. We saw them live, even the night launches at 4:32 in the morning. It was fun to experience the night launch from 5 miles away (that is close) because during liftoff, if you turn around and look on the ground, you can see your shadow.

As a retired shop teacher, I will continue to teach my daughter about science and more during our first trip to the Speed Week this year. I'm so glad she enjoys learning. Just wait, she may take these experiences and knowledge and apply them to driving a vehicle across the salt flats in the future.
To infinity and beyond.

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
I work at the company ( Thiokol ) that built the SRB's ( solid rocket boosters ) I was working graveyard and was awoke by a phone call saying I 'd better turn on the TV. 7 astronauts gone, it was a very hard time for our community and nation. I had met several of the crew Micheal Smith @ Francis Scobee and they are just the finest of the finest. Rest in peace Challenger.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »
I was just leaving the parking lot at a Junior College were I was taking a Hazmat response class when the news hit the radio. I drove back to work (office of emergency management) and we monitored all the tv channels the rest of the day.

Several of the people I worked with had missile experience in the military and we noticed the O-ring link in the video coverage before it was covered on the news.

Lots of discussion about how the decision was made, as topics about how administrative groups handled complex information was an important part of emergency planning.

Creating a company culture that does not allow senior administrators to force bad decisions is important to prevent lots of different types of major failures, be they decisions to evaluate before a storm, not take off in bad weather or not launch in cold weather.

Same process applies to land speed racing, there is a point when the desire to run a car when things are marginal becomes a critical decision point and we need to encourage a culture where folks are not inclined to push bad decisions, and it is ok for people to say no.

Larry

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »
I was working as a mechanic at a GM truck dealership at the time. The local Snap-On tool truck was making his weekly visit and I had just entered the truck when the news came over the radio. I will never forget how that huge truck garage and sales lot became deathly quiet as every person focused their complete attention to the radios to catch every detail.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:08:07 PM »
That was a tough day for many.  Someone interrupted our meeting at a federal building, stunning us with the announcement, and I went to a coffee shop down the block to watch the video loops of the launch.  My first thought was there was probably asbestos in the original seal design and some environmental requirement required it not be used in replacement seals.  Not true.  In the end, it has been my opinion, based on my casual overview of the congressional investigations, it turned out to be another “It is easier to blame a thing (cold temperature) than to blame people (faulty design).” Earlier analysis that said the joint should close during pressurization, when in reality the joint opened. That mistake was known by NASA management and should have been corrected long before any Shuttle was ever flown after that discovery.  Engineers who flagged the problem could not prove that the O-rings would fail to seal at lower temperatures.  Optimal launch temperatures were considered to be between 40 and 90 degrees.  Challenger launched that morning in 22 degree weather.

Parker Hannifin is one of the world’s leading authorities on O-Ring design. In the Parker O-Ring Handbook ORD 5700 paragraph 4.0 says “It has been said that O-rings are ‘the finest static seals ever developed.’ Perhaps the prime reason for this is because they are almost human proof …. If the gland has been designed and machined properly”.   

In 1987 when working in Germany, I attended a gathering in Lohr, where the Rexroth engineering firm, now part of Bosch, is located.  Met two chaps from Rexroth and asked them how work was going on the redesigned Shuttle seals.  They looked at each other and went mute.  I guess it was supposed to be a secret.  Anyway, the  Hercules, Inc. "Capture Feature" of the “redesigned” seals finally gave us the ‘reusable’ solid rocket motor NASA wanted it to be--one that has been in use ever since.

In the end, our astronauts got a better SRB and the improved system has worked fine and lasted a long time.  When I was a kid, I remember going out in the field to watch Sputnik blinking across our American sky.  It was discomforting.  The insult of it.  Well, it created a new era and I and all my friends dreamed of space travel.  Watching Neil Armstrong step out of the Apollo 11 lunar module brought cheers.  Now, space launches are taken for granted, we don't have the names of Shuttle flight crews memorized before the launch.  Our country still has technical expertise and the people who can figure out stuff.  Everything is safer as a result of responding to the Challenger disaster.  We are not going to forget it anything soon.  Bless their memory.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

DocBeech

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
A lot of people don't this but I did a little bit of study in aeroscience medicine. I actually went to space camp for 2 years but thats just garbage non sense. I am only 25 so all I have are memories of what others have told, and what I have seen on like the History Channel. I do however know some of the physical aspects of it. I can tell you that if they had made just minor improvements the crew would still be alive today. This is why I have said in the past that our vehicles would be a bad idea to open a parachute if its more than 10 feet off the ground. The crew survived the explosion, and here is how they know. The pilot actually went through the emergency procedures in the craft. The crew died from drowning. They were knocked unconscious by the impact with the water. The crew did however survive the return trip to earth, they went through the emergency procedures, turned on the emergency oxygen and completed a couple of other tasks. Some of them even did tasks on control panels that were behind them, so they not only had time to do things, but had time to move the little bit they could in the seats.

If they would have made just a couple slight changes to how things were done the crew would still be alive today :-(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:59:23 PM by DocBeech »