Author Topic: Rotary Engines  (Read 10872 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Rotary Engines
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »
Personally i think that a rotary engine is an ideal engine for a belly tank etc, small, high revving and enough power to get the right car moving to the desired speeds that one is aiming for. I also think the low torque output is an advantage for traction down low in the speed zone. There is enough technology out the to get N/A rotary moving to set some records.

me too :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 04:55:57 PM »
Doc,

First let me thank you for your service and welcome to the board.

The rotary is not dead, there is still a hotly contested record at Bonneville in the C/BGMS class at 242 MPH. This record was set in 1995 with the Racing Beat RX7.

I believe that the revised x2 factor may make this engine a viable option in some classes.

There is a thread on this board that was beat on pretty good. I bet 4 barrel Mike can find it and post the link.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
I wonder if maybe the Wankle rotary motor shouldn't be classed by itself.
If you look at the design, it almost would qualify as a turbin more than a reciprocating motor.

The sound of a improperly rotary is almost like the old IRL cars, sickening. Very few have been done correctly and sometimes the piping has to be folded because the car is not long enough. Adding a turbo or two can really make some HP, not to mention some real heat. Some of the drifting guys are running this setup, really long powerband and steady torque.
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 06:21:55 PM »
Separating into a stand alone engine class would add maybe 500+ classes.

You know that if one guy wants to run one in a lakester someone else would want a roadster, then a gas coupe, don't forget a pick up. etc.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

DocBeech

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
Mine at 2.6L Is pushing around 250HP N/A. My compression is low from age though. The new 3.2L is around 330HP. It doesn't get released until 2012 though. But regardless at 9,800RPM I am getting about 250HP with very little modifications. The stock cooling system is garbage we had to design a new one. Design new oil lines and replace the injectors. The apex and side seals have to be replaced with ceramics. Even mazda knew the intake wasn't good enough so they came out with a new intake that reduces the amount of air disturbance in the engine bay. They replaced the transmission with a new more reliable one that gets about 3 - 5 HP less. Changing out to a lighter fly wheel can counteract this though. They make a pretty good ACT counter weight and BHR fywheel for our vehicles.

One advantage you can create is with the SOHN adapter. It replaced the Oil Metering Pump with a reservoir system so you don't use dirty oil from the pan for injection. Also a huge adaptation we have found that works is to increase the oil injection by about 35%. At least that number I used and got results. Adding Idimetsu premix at about 1/2 oz for every gallon to the fuel improves the seal during compression and gives you a little more power from the improved seal. It also gives you better engine reliability.

The light weight of the engine I feel gives a huge advantage. It only weighs about 110lbs. I am curious though. Since the run is so short including the return trip I wonder how much HP can be gained from not having a belt around the Alternator or the AC system just running a deep cycle battery.

DW - They already have a pickup truck its the REPU Mazda built in 1974. They also have the RE5 Suzuki.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:27:40 PM by DocBeech »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
In SCTA events you don't get to drive the return trip. :-o :-o :-o

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
Well Doc,

There ya go, more classes, more pages, etc. You shouls start a poll here to see how many will support the stand alone class. I'm willing to bet the totals will swing somewhere towards the smae kind of support the NASCAR class got.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 01:04:02 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how many more rotaries show up and how many records get broken now that the rule has changed.  It'll also be interesting to see how many people propose to change it back once said records have been lost. 

Or maybe nothing will happen at all...
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

DocBeech

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 03:21:15 AM »
I plan on showing up once my build is complete. Why would you be mad that your record was broken :P Isn't that what its there for. Someone to come along down the line that got that couple extra MPH out of a car :P

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »
There are some on this board who are under the impression that the rules are written by those that want to protect their own record. No one else is invited to the secret meeting hall.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »
I plan on showing up once my build is complete. Why would you be mad that your record was broken :P Isn't that what its there for. Someone to come along down the line that got that couple extra MPH out of a car :P

A simple question to you. Would you still show up and race if the formula stayed at x3?  :-o

I always thought it should have been x2.5 anyway..........  :-P

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
Other than safety...every proposed rule I have seen in over 30 years was to do one of 2 things. PERIOD.

#1. give the writer, or his buddy so no one would know, an advantage. The rotary rule is no different it's just this year it got by and like Nathan says we shall see if it is was correct.

#2. eliminate someone who , if was felt by someone, HAD an advantage as the rules were currently written and make them leave or quit...Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't...... :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
JD,

Is that the thinking behind NASCAR's recent point realignment? The Jimmie Johnson rule. Ironic that the new points system will give you a max. of 48 points per race if you win, lead one lap, and lead the most laps.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

DocBeech

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
Shameful behavior writing rules to protect your own record so that no one else could ever beat it  :-P :evil:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »
DW..if Jimmy wins six....I think they will shoot him. :-(
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro