Author Topic: Rotary Engines  (Read 10874 times)

DocBeech

Rotary Engines
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
So my question is can we just add a Rotary Category. I know some people are jealous  :-P that a 1.3L engine is capable of the kind of performance we get. 3.9L is just to much of a handicap. I couldn't get that kind of displacement if I wanted to. 2.6L is more reasonable. I completely agree with doubling it, but tripling? Where did they find the room for the extra .65L per rotor. Yes there are 3 sides to a rotor but the way the motor works only two sides are open at a time. To me its the same thing as saying on a four stroke engine you are going to count each cylinder twice since it gets two chances to burn off the fuel. Even the SCCA only doubles the handicap. Who do we need to propose this to. Because right now its set up in a way that seems to me like they are being a bit biased, and don't want rotary powered vehicles to set records!

I say we either just make a rotary class in the rule book, or we follow the standard which is to double, not triple, the displacement!

Offline Tman

Re: Rotary Engines
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »
Lemme get a cold one and some popcorn! :wink:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
The rotary engine has been kicked around more then a door stop. Nothing gets changed with out getting the proper form from the SCTA web site and submitting it before the cut off date after speed week.It seems this comes up every year and SCTA has tried to work it out with the membership. OK Dan your turn to reply.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
Hmmmmm,

SECTION 2    CAR COMPETITION SPECIFICATIONS
2.A     ENGINES:
Rewrite 2nd sentence, pp 2:
For non-reciprocating engines, equivalent displacement (ED) will be calculated by the following formula: ED=SV x2 where SV is the Swept Volume. The cubic inch to liter conversion shall be computed by the formula: cid/61.024 = liter.

Per the front page.

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »
FR would be all for a rotary category.
He could run one of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk9Dl6RZxmQ
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »
Sure enough Dreamweaver!

Good catch. :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
I don't know what rule set you are looking at but, it was just pointed out that the formula has been adjusted to a x2 factor for 2011.

Look at the front page of this website or on the SCTA website, www.scta-bni.org, for a list of rule changes for 2011. With your 2010 book and these changes you have all the rules needed.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:33:35 PM »
All this discussion is BS anyway.
I have thoroughly looked over the rotary motor and concept and conclude without a doubt that it is impossible for them to run.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
JHN, you have really made me feel bad, I spent 2-1/2 years back in the 80 trying to get one of these things to make HPs and now I find out they can't!! We did make a lot of noise and flame.

Rex

PS: And 310 hp at 10,500 rpm!
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »
This thread is funny.  :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:55:48 AM »
Our good mate Dave Partridge has an RX7, it has a megaphone that is guaranteed to annoy even inanimate objects , the last time he had it at the salt he would get a round of applause everytime he turned it off.......the only person who doesn't think that is funny is Dave, there is something unsettling about the sound of those things, when they are worked and have an exhaust system that says go forth and multiply to the EPA they're just plain menacing..... :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
Remember to add a good supply of headache tablets and hearing protection to your list of necessities for Speedweek! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pete

DocBeech

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:31 AM »
Well its my rant :P. But on that note the old rule from before was X3. So they fixed it:P I didn't read the new rules lol.

Hey I like my rotary engine lol. Its a fun novelty. But I am not sure that a propeller driven car is going to be a project I care to much to try to do.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:11:53 AM by DocBeech »

Offline lsr202

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »
Personally i think that a rotary engine is an ideal engine for a belly tank etc, small, high revving and enough power to get the right car moving to the desired speeds that one is aiming for. I also think the low torque output is an advantage for traction down low in the speed zone. There is enough technology out the to get N/A rotary moving to set some records.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
I have to agree with Isr202 a "good" 13B with peripheral port housings, I have hear can get to the up side of 350 hp and that is certainly getting competitive with almost any 3 liter recip engine unless you buy a Cosworth or one of the double Hayabusa V8s, and they are small and light weight but very noisy!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.