Author Topic: 1970's records, where would I find them?  (Read 9793 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
1970's records, where would I find them?
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:56 AM »
I am looking to find who had the record in F/GT prior to Bob Norwood in the 308 Ferrari. I think it was a 240Z but I am not sure. Is there somewhere that has the list of records by year?
Thanks
Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline speediesparks

• New folks
Re: 1970's records, where would I find them?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
My 1970's program shows William Gurnee  137.311 mph set in 1966   :cheers:
My 1966 program shows he was from Huntington Beach and running a 163  Damlier engine 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:39:48 AM by speediesparks »
Just counting the days to go racing!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »
On that note it really is to bad that there isnt an archive available online for this type info.

It would be cool to look up run data by year and maybe include any vintage pics if they were available.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:44:57 AM »
Prior to the Rice brothers constructing their timing system in the 90s all run data was done by hand and dumped into a box somewhere. When my wife was coming to the salt in the early 80s it was all done on legal paper and #2 pencil. I doubt that those sheets remain. I don't know if the current stuff is archived after the data is extracted.

As in all things nostalgic, who knew?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »
JH --

I'm sure the SCTA or landracing.com would find a home for that data on their websites and would be glad to have you volunteer to assemble it.  The pictures would be harder to come by, but the records could be displayed.  Go for it!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »
Well, I do know that James and Alan Rice hand me their entire run logs at the end of a timing day -- Shootouts and Bub's -- so they're able to give up the stuff for archiving.  I don't know how (or if) SCTA does it, but I think it's safe to assume that they do make recordings of the daily runs.  They might not want to disseminate it, might be doing so without making it public knowledge, or might not be bothering.  I don't think I'd want to have all of the stuff archived on the live part of the site --'cause it'd take up lots of room, I should think -- but I'd consider a hard drive with that kind of records on it and located here in the house.  I'm not ready, by the way, to entrust all my files and backups to the "cloud".  Maybe some day, not today.

So if you know of the intent to save the timing data -- feel free to get in touch, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »
When I left as timer in 2004 I gave everything I had to Bob Webb as he was the new timer. It was a couple of large box's that I had as well as some stuff from Gary Cagle. I am hoping Bob still has it or it went into storage at the SCTA building at El Mirage. I have many copies of things timing wise I collected over the years and all of the programs. Jim Miller, J.D.Tone and Jack Underwood also have tons of lakes and Bonneville stuff. To amass it all and archive it for all to have access to would be a huge undertaking .All of us are willing to research what we have and do it almost weekly. Feel free to e-mail or pm us and we will help where we can.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »
So guys this is the reason I am looking,

The Z car world is kind of giddy (and we are too) that we broke the record and people have been looking back at things and apparently there is a 240Z car in a museum that apparently ran there in I think 1976.....

Here this is easier..... I copied the e-mail that I got:

"I'm trying to help David Yando dig up some factual history related to a Datsun 240Z that he has at the Lane Museum. The car is actually part of the Nissan Motor Co. USA Heritage Collection.

Dave is the Manager of the Lane Motor Museum:  www.lanemotormuseum.org

I was hoping that you or someone you know - could point us to the person or persons that keep the historical records,  related to land speed records set at the Bonneville Salt Flats over the decades.

Someone, somewhere should be able to tell us exactly what the record speed was, who drove the car, who owned the car etc...

Nissan had a ad at one time that listed 1976 as the date and 166.037 mph as the speed..... but we need to know the VIN of the car and who drove it - from their records - to assure we have the correct car..."

I am sure I am not the first one to ask this question. May be something one could start? I would volunteer some time to input stuff if we could get the info on paper...
I am not sure how much space text would take up if it were only the records at the end of each year??

Burton  :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »
VINs are not included in car entries.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
Yeah I knew someone would catch that......I wasnt the one asking though. Anyway I think they would be super happy with a driver name and or entry name......

Burton

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »
The SCTA-BNI Web site has the run data from various Speedweeks online. It's subject to site Storage Limits from the ISP and data is removed during various audits to keep within the limits. Keeping all the Data and Photos online costs money, I'm sure Slim can attest to that!
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »
Stupid Internet!

I guess my post from last night didn't get on the board.

I stated that the records had been added to the rulebook since 1974. Thank you.

If someone has a 1977 rulebook the F/GT record will be listed. I can dig thru my stuff later today and see if I can locate what Burton is looking for. A November '76 to Jan or Feb '77 magazine with a Bonneville article will also have the record listed.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »
OK guys, my 85 rule book lists
F/GT  Nissan Motor Corp  R Stockman  '76  166.037

F/GT  Robert R Norwood  R Norwood  '85  168.721

Incidentally for you z fans
F/PROD  280Z 2 + 2  M. Micka  '75  164.641

What you see is what you get....  :-D
 :cheers:

Dan, ya gotta hit the post button.... missed that a couple of times myself...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
The 1979 rule book showing 1978 records shows F/GT "Nissan Motor Corp" as entry, R. Stockman as driver, 1976 record at 166.037> Any Help?

Before that record 1974 per the 75 book was 152.134 by R. Brown in "Racer's ZZZZZZ"
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »
1973 rule book  F/GT  Racer's ZZZZZ  Driver Racer Brown  speed /record set in 1972  152.134 mph
1974  no change
1975  no change
1979  rule book  F/GT  Nissan motor corp.  driver, R.Stockman  speed/record set 1976  166.037 mph

I don't have the 76,77 or 78 rule books handy, still looking in old archived stuff

Hope this helps some.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah