Author Topic: engine location  (Read 5977 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
engine location
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »
i am wondering if anyone knows...................................on a stock big block second generation camaro, where is number 1 spark plug in relation to the spindle? is it ahead, even, or behind? and if it is ahead or behind, by how much? i have an after market front subframe with no motor mounts. (ordered that way) and since i am allowed a 2% set back. i need to know how far back to place my bullet. i am going with a 2 inch setback so i need some dimensions. just where a stock motor mounts. i can figure the rest.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline dw230

Re: engine location
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
Why don't you go 2% of the wheelbase back from the front spindle centerline?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:08:27 PM »
so maybe i am misunderstanding the rules...........................again. so if i understand by what you say dw, i am allowed to set back engine from spindle centerline rather than the engines original location? in that case it would be more than 2% set back? no????? understanding now................i now know where to place Das Bullet :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D thanks DW.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »
Read 4.aa again and again, no reference to original locations, just spindle, sparkplug and Wheelbase.... You must read but try not to read in... or just ask for help understanding.

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
If you are 2% of the wheelbase front the front spindle centerline how in the F can it be more than 2%?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
If you are 2% of the wheelbase front the front spindle centerline how in the F can it be more than 2%?

DW

:-D

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »

DW

it's a complicated thing the way my mind works sometimes :? :? :? :? :?. like i said earlier, i misunderstood. i was thinking that if the original location is forward of the spindle, then a setback of 2% from spindle would equal more than 2%. but now that i understand, thanks for the fn help. :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
The wb must remain the same--- :-o   what ever the stock wheelbase is you are allowed to move it back 2%  on our truck the stock wb is 143"---  so we are allowed to set the eng back slightly less that 3" we are going for 2.75  but the eng will be back almost 5" from a stock 454 because the stock spark plug  is in front of the front axle cl. :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
now thats what i was talking about :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o. and since a 73 camaro never came with a bigblock i was asking about a 72 stock bigblock engine location. but don't know if the measurement is taken from sparkplug hole or what. and in relation to what. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :? :? :? :? :? :?

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »
Front spindle center line to first spark plug. If the engine has off set heads, the forward head will be measured.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 12:05:39 AM »
  Dan, if it doesn't, I would like to see the crank and rods............ no rotary engines please......... :-D
Bob Drury

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »
Fork and blade rod  :evil: :wink:

Ed

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »
yep they are out there
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »
Bob,

Had to make that clear.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »
You could always put a spark plug in the water pump -- but I'd bet Dan would figure that out.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records