Author Topic: Motorcycle wheel balancing,valve stems,and other Q's  (Read 6698 times)

Mobile Welder

Re: Motorcycle wheel balancing,valve stems,and other Q's
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »
Mobile,

I have a tank in perfect condition for the FZR1000 in your picture with some other parts as well..

Let me know if you need anything, subframe, wiring etc..

John
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I have alot of m.c. parts but all dirt bike/dual sport stuff.The land speed thing as far as actually "doing" it is new to me,but I've been going to Elmo since the 60's with my dad when he was alive. He just loved it and I still go there almost every event .I'm so close.(Hesperia). If I need anything for the bike I will let get ahold of you. Thanks Gary.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:18 PM »
Look at Storz Performance for a plunger type damper.  They have brackets to fit almost anything and their catalog is online.  They have dampers for older 1000cc Yamahas.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 08:59:57 AM »
You can pick up the plunger type for a sporty on ebay for $100. Look around there and you might find something for your bike. If not you still can see some ideas for brackets and make your own. Storz only makes stuff for Sportys and they're verrrrry expensive...  Good luck.   :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Mobile Welder

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »
Ok guy's. I'm leaning towards that idea.I'll come up with somthing. I still gotta do some safety wiring and put on steel valve stems. I just got my stands yesterday for the FZR. Front and rear. I only had dirt bike stands. My Triumph sprint has a centerstand,but this Yammie just has a sidestand.

Mobile Welder

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »
Well,got my steel valve stems installed but havent balanced the wheels yet.Is it actually noticable on the salt and or elmo? or is it a waste of time? I have had the bike up pretty fast on a clear desert road and didnt feel anything vibrating or any speed wobbles or anything.I had thought the wheels were balanced but when i was replacing the valve stems, i saw no wheel weights at all on it. So thats why i ask. Anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks in advance.Gary.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »
No experience with other brands, but the Metzelers we run are often in perfect balance as made and no wheel weights are needed.   

Mobile Welder

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »
Thanks Wobbly. I have Bridgestone Battaleaxe's on the bike. I've heard that sometimes salt builds up so much on the rims that it throws them out of balance every run anyway??? I've never been yet though so i certainly dont know.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
Well, salt will certainly build up on each run, but sometimes bunches, sometimes hardly any.  However -- I haven't been especially bothered  by out of balance on the wheels on subsequent runs.  Sure, I knock off the big lumps and sometimes spray the wheels with water -- but I'm certainly not really picky about it, and I've not had any issues with out of balance.  I do start the event with balanced tire/wheels, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com