Author Topic: giant roof flap??????????????  (Read 2080 times)

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
giant roof flap??????????????
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
this might be a bit odd , but then again i resemble that remark. :roll: :roll: :roll: has anyone thought of using the decklid of a car as a kind of roofflap? i mean tether it so it only opens partway. but if a car were to get backwards, wouldn't the trunk open till tethered and spoil any lift that would cause the car to get airborn?
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: giant roof flap??????????????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
you had better have a strong chain.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »
you had better have a strong chain.
hinges too :-D :-D :-D
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline basher13

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
I wondered about this with the spoilers off the deck lids like Cajuns, Jl222 and others. Thought that if these spoilers are creating lift when turned around, could you hinge it to flop over and not cause the lift? Damage to a spoiler is better than a car getting airborn.
 :cheers:
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:03:39 PM »
i plan on at least a piano hinge on the spoiler for i was given that same advise by sparky i believe. make the spoiler flip in case of backwards to spoil lift. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :-D

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:21:09 PM »
Ram air pressure at 200 mph is about 0.7 psi, multiply that by the number of square inches of surface on your trunk lid and you have an idea how much force the trunk lid hinges and tether would need to resist.

For a trunk lid of 36 inches square that comes out to almost 1300#. That over pressure could also blow out internal bulkhead between the trunk and the passenger compartment.

Larry

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »
I would say that anyone planning on a major design of a reverse wing submit a bunch of data and drawings to the SCTA rules and car committee before you build it. I have seen many spins and blow overs on the lake bed and salt. What would happen if when the vehicle was part way into the spin and one side of the flap/spoiler bent up and put it in a bind. That would raise hell with the air flow.
Give it some serious thought.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline BALS aSALT

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
Ram air pressure at 200 mph is about 0.7 psi, multiply that by the number of square inches of surface on your trunk lid and you have an idea how much force the trunk lid hinges and tether would need to resist.

For a trunk lid of 36 inches square that comes out to almost 1300#. That over pressure could also blow out internal bulkhead between the trunk and the passenger compartment.

Larry

hell ,probably blow out some windows too. good thinkin'. or bad on my part. and a camaro decklid is 23.5X44= 1034 square inches? man, if you come up with 1300# with 36 in. decklid, can you imagine how much a camaro decklid would produce?????????