Author Topic: Tire Question  (Read 10497 times)

Offline Bootleggerjim

• Raced Front Motor Cars on Nitro many years
Tire Question
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
I need help....Almost ready to buy tires for my race car....My car is a chopped top 50 Ford (old gasser drag car) I'm redoing for a Maxton car....It will run in C/FCC with the record now at 198+...I want to run a 28 to 30in tall 9+in wide radial like Mickey Thompson ET Street on the rear....I know drag slicks are out....What tire, front and rear will be OK with tech..Thanks for the help...Jim in SC
I'm an addict with a 2 tire a day habit..........

Offline Bootleggerjim

Re: Tire Question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
I've been reading some of the older post and it seems like Drag Radials are the ticket on the back......Does this sound right?????   Thanks

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »
Several Fast cars run M/T Drag Radials on the rear.  I have also, but prefer a stiffer sidewall.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Bootleggerjim

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »
Thanks again Charles, I'm getting close and don't need to make mistakes spending doe I should not be spending anyway.........

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
Keep in mind there are some special rules for tires over 29"
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Bootleggerjim

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:43:28 AM »
Thanks, I passed right over that......I need all the help I can get.......j

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
Dont get ET streets that thing will be all over the place. I have been 205 on the M/T drag radial. It is definatly the way to go. It has good forward and lateral grip!!!!
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »

Goodyear makes a new 300 mph 10'' tire, and there a lot less than the 300 mph frontrunners. They also make 10'' road race tires that we have used at El Mirage.

JL222

Offline Bootleggerjim

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:51:37 PM »
I've herd the ET tires hunt at high speed.....That sucks because I like the look of the tire...I really would like a tire with some tread, Maybe Hoosier, or Good Year Drag Radials.....

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
Under power and still accelerating the Drag Radials are ok, more greasy feeling when you are slowing.  The seceret is proper air pressure.. at least 36psi..

Mike Maty  what PSI did you have in your tires for the 205 run ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
We always run them at 32psi and they feel like a regular radial. I am talking about the ET street radials not the et streets. The radials have actual real tread unlike the et streets with the 2 grooves.

these
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial

Not these
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreet

There is a huge difference.
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
I would like to put a disclaimer on Mikes post.  There is no recommended tire pressure for LSRing on Drag Radials.  We run the pressure we do because it has worked for us.  You need to determine what pressure works for you.  I don't think there is a MFG out there that will recomend their drag radial for long distance high speed runs.  The Mickey is the drag Radial of choice for almost all the really fast cars.  If you walk around the pits you'll see that.  The size and pressure is something you'll have to figure out on your own.  As I've learned from more seasoned veterans side wall flex is not your friend due to heat buildup, so think lower profile.  We also replace them every season or every 10 or so passes before they start to show any signs of real wear.  $150 a tire is cheaper than an MRI, CT, or a funeral.  Your results may vary.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Bootleggerjim

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:22:03 AM »
I would like to put a disclaimer on Mikes post.  There is no recommended tire pressure for LSRing on Drag Radials.  We run the pressure we do because it has worked for us.  You need to determine what pressure works for you.  I don't think there is a MFG out there that will recomend their drag radial for long distance high speed runs.  The Mickey is the drag Radial of choice for almost all the really fast cars.  If you walk around the pits you'll see that.  The size and pressure is something you'll have to figure out on your own.  As I've learned from more seasoned veterans side wall flex is not your friend due to heat buildup, so think lower profile.  We also replace them every season or every 10 or so passes before they start to show any signs of real wear.  $150 a tire is cheaper than an MRI, CT, or a funeral.  Your results may vary.
Good advice, only wish I could find my rear tires that cheep....What about the front, I need 24 to 25in tall 15X7 rim tire Z rated, I can't find any....

Offline Geo

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
It's going to take some digging.  I have been looking this past weekend.  Tire Rack allows search by size and by type.  A little easier. Speed rating filter on the left side of the page.

BFG g-Force R1 Z rated 225 50ZR 15 23.6 in diam.

Geo

Offline Bootleggerjim

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Good advice, only wish I could find my rear tires that cheep....What about the front, I need 24 to 25in tall 15X7 rim tire Z rated, I can't find any....
Very good ...thanks