Author Topic: Gas saver TIG and pyrex nozzles?  (Read 6203 times)

Offline javajoe79

Gas saver TIG and pyrex nozzles?
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:21:39 PM »
 Anyone use these? What do you think?

http://www.ckworldwide.com/gas_saver.htm
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Jerry O

Re: Gas saver TIG and pyrex nozzles?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:35:51 AM »
I have been using the gas saver lens for several years now and they seem to work very well. I build a lot of stainless headers for the Pro Stock drag guys and NASCAR teams. When welding the stainless headers I use a 1 inch diameter cup for extra shielding. I use them mainly because of the lens design and they do give better shielding, not sure about the 40% gas savings. The clear cups also come in handy sometimes when you are in tight areas and can't see the tungsten.  JMO but I like them.

Jerry O

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »
I agree with Jerry. I have used gas lenses for years and appreciate the improved shielding. Like Jerry, I'm not sure about the 40% gas savings. That would depend entirely on how you had your torch setup before and after plus what the application is.
I did find out something interesting while doing some research at Ohio State. When using a gas lens such as these, and the gas flow is very linear exiting the cup, it is possible to have the gas flow rate too high which results in aspiration of outside air into the shielding gas. However, that point is far above any flow rate that would be considered normal.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline JoshH

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
The clear cups also come in handy sometimes when you are in tight areas and can't see the tungsten.

Clear cups? I've never seen them... Pun intended. Were can I get these?

efenn611

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
 I have been using nothing but gas lenses for over 30 years, and it's very true that you need to not use too much gas. I did the whole cooling system on a research nuclear reactor in morrocco ( 6" alum pipe ) with a #8 cup, gas lens, and 24 cfh gas flow ( argon/helium ), and had 56 purfect welds. I still get more nervous welding race cars. normally I use a #7 cup , gas lens, 3/32 tungsten, and about 17 cfh argon. with this setup you can stick the tungsten out 3/8 of an inch, so you can see great, and not have any problems. this setup has been crash tested several times and has NEVER failed.

ED

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »
 Good info guys. Looks like I will be investing in some of these. :cheers:
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:17:21 AM »
I've normally used gas lenses for aluminum, magnesium, stainless, etc. But usually use the standard nozzles for mild steel. I've never seen the Pyrex nozzles, even around Indy, but now I may go looking.

Pete