Author Topic: w or z rated tires  (Read 1665 times)

grizweld

w or z rated tires
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »
New to this sport, have drag raced for 30 yrs plus. Have a Nitro iron head  I plan on running this year and tires are a question to me, what is better w or z rated tires?   Thanks ahead of time for help.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: w or z rated tires
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
Griz:

First of all, welcome to the landracing.com Forum.  It's a fine place, if I do say so myself, to learn all sorts of stuff about our passion -- and also to find a good bunch of folks with whom you can share ideas and help.

Okay -- to your tire question.  I don't have the answer, not being intimately familiar with the Bub's rules.  In SCTA/ECTA rules, for instance, you'd need to determine in which class your bike will race -- and then get tires that are rated for the record speed in that class (whether your bike will get there or not isn't the question).  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bub's rules are similar.  Also, though -- at Bub's you can run in the "Run What you Brung" field -- which allows you some passes down the course so you can not only say to everyine that you've really, actually, honestly made a pass on the Bonneville Salt Flats -- but also you can run your bike the way it is, with only minor safety and other requirements.

I expect that someone that's more familiar with the Bub's (AMA) rules will answer your question.  So - on the topic of you being a new guy -- where are you?  Tell us a bit more about yourself.  Maybe there's someone right in your area that can help you, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

grizweld

Re: w or z rated tires
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
I am origannly from Flint Mi. and live in Great falls mt. now. My bike should be able to reach 200 in time, I have run 151 in 1/4 mile at 3500ft above sea level with corrected at 6800 ft. This is on my list of to do projects, so really looking forward to it.  My chassis is more of a mid motor so handling should not be a huge issue compared to modern fuel frames that are more motor forward.